Melbourne Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178845.msg202387#msg202387 date=1225691883]
Hey Dan, run one of those ads for a free $50 bet or whatever it is to sign up to a betting house and I'll have some Melbourne Cup fun with that.
  Stuff that for a joke then!

I dont have access to that deal anymore mate, and you needed to deposit $100 to get the $50 I think too
[/quote]

OK I've decided on taking a few multis around Barbaricus, Mad Rush, Nom De Jeu, Gallopin, Profound Beauty and Baeur. Never been a big one on top weight overseas horses so will be leaving out Septimus, it will probably cost me but happy to take the risk.

In last years cup , I had some overdue success , outlaying $40.00 on Efficient for a return of $905.00.

Much tougher this year with so many boat horses (overseas) involved. I backed Nom Du Jeu in the Caulfied Cup. It flew home for 2nd @ 30/1.

I'll be backing Master O'Reilly . It ran the 3rd fastest ever Caulfield Cup last year and wasn't too badly placed in this years Turnbull Stakes and Caulfield Cup. I'll also be having some each way cash on Honolulu.

Also a 5 horse box trifecta for $60.00
Master O'Reilly , Honolulu , Nom Du Jeu , Septimus , Littorio

Good Luck to one and all......................

What the hell is a box trifecta and a multi?

I signed up to sports bet, got $100 free bet and stuck it all on Profound Beauty.

Mug punter.

I had $20 on nom de jue at fixed price before the caulfield at $31

Boxed 5,7,11 and 20 in tri and quin 5 times and had $10 on 14 as a roughie.

Matabele link said:
What the hell is a box trifecta and a multi?

I signed up to sports bet, got $100 free bet and stuck it all on Profound Beauty.

Mug punter.

A box trifecta means you pick the 3 horses you think will come in, the box means you don't have to pick the order as opposed to a standard trifecta where you pick the exact positions

Same goes for all the other box quinella etc.

I can't decide I still like a box trifecta or

Mad Rush
Septimus
Zipping

I have decided against Master O'reilly but now am thinking Zipping has never done me any good in the past in the Melbourne cup, though it did return me a healthy little drinking money outside the cup.

I think I may keep the 3 above boxed then have an each way bet on either
Nom Du Jeu or Barbaricus

Your thoughts on those?

So if you pick a 5 box trifecta you can select 5 hourses and if any 3 of those take the places you win?

Matabele link said:
So if you pick a 5 box trifecta you can select 5 hourses and if any 3 of those take the places you win?

That would be a quinella sweetheart.

A box trifecta is 3 horses in any order

Matabele link said:
Actually Mata is right. A boxed trifecta with 5 horses will cost a lot but if any 3 of those 5 fill the first 3 places (1,2,3) then you get a collect. For a $1 boxed tri with 5 horses the cost is $60 (4 horses is $24, 3 is $6). You can do a flexi-bet where you nominate 5 horses boxed and then state how much you want to bet, such as $12. In that case you get a 20% return of the declared $1 dividend ($60 divided by $12 = 5. 1/5th is 20%).

I'm sticking with Septimus, Mad Rush, Gallopin and Perfect Beauty for my Quins and Tris. I doubt I will collect but am pumped the day is here and good luck all!

Yeah spoke to my boss and he is letting me sneak up the pub for the race

Where did profound beauty come?  Told you I was a mug punter.  That's why I only play with play money.

Profound beauty came 5th Mata.

Actually a very good run for an OS horse that didn't get a run over here and prefers the wet ground. Really impressed with her.

Good old Bart Cummings. Bookies had a great day today!!

Nutzcraw link said:
Good old Bart Cummings. Bookies had a great day today!!

Which brings us back to the original dissertation that the event is a farce made possible only by lemmings.

50 million bucks went on NSW TAB alone. I hope that plenty of that finds it way into State Govt coffers and maybe we can get some infrastructure prior to Fatty O'Barrell and co taking power in 2 years and telling us the cupboard is bare and further cutting all services.

Canteen Worker link said:
50 million bucks went on NSW TAB alone. I hope that plenty of that finds it way into State Govt coffers and maybe we can get some infrastructure prior to Fatty O'Barrell and co taking power in 2 years and telling us the cupboard is bare and further cutting all services.
  Dubbo Base is $16m behind apparently and doctors are using their credit cards to get essential tests done for patients.

That would be a good place to start.

Well I had a sensational day, backed 5 winners including Hips Dont Lie (15-1) and Viewed (50-1).

Could have told you all before the race that the Caulfield Cup form was false and was never going to stand up in the Cup. That was the worst CC I have seen in years. For Barbaricus to lead and hang on on in the CC showed how poor the form was.

Cest La Guerre was very unlucky, should have beaten Viewed. Septimus had the run of the race and is another in a long line of European "Specials"who have failed miserably.

Matabele link said:
Which brings us back to the original dissertation that the event is a farce made possible only by lemmings.
Obviously your understanding of anything cultural outside of your narrow acceptable scope just has to get an airing. Yes, I call it a cultural event. Melbourne Cup day is an Aussie tradition that I love and most Australians love and your constant sniping about anything beyond your hatred of this country is getting beyond farken annoying.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6