Media now promote we are an aging side???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jado

Reserve Grader
They find a way to throw the crap at Manly don't they; seen Paul Kent's latest; "like the ex-heavyweight champ, past his prime and digging down for one last great fight".

Ex Heavy Weights??? Seriously? (Daily Telegraph)

They say Manly core players are aging, but the core players are widely agreed to be the key organising positions which are these days hooker, half, 5/8 and full back and our guys combined age is 103, yet cronk, smith, slater and finch combine to 121. So what gives? Our team would be close (if not) the combined youngest is those core positions.

Just another attempt by the media to create a negative perception about the eagles....

Don't worry about that crap, look at today's media all trying to jump on the bandwagon now that they realise we are a genuine premiership threat.

The media like to pick a position and stick to it.

Eg. The media is still going on ad nauseum about how the Bulldogs have such a wonderful culture, even though I would respectfully submit that players biting opponents, making lewd comments towards female journalists and joining the EBC would suggest otherwise....

Yep the media sure do like to pick & stick. If Manly had won 1st grade last night with our U20s team Kent still would have written the same story lol.

DSM5 said:
Nothing wrong with aging.

According to some on here, Kite is 5 seasons past his prime, King has nothing left to offer, Jamie Lyon is well past it and Joey G should be leading the church choir.

The media knows this team is tough, resilliant and skillful and will always challenge for the top gong, and the only way they think they can stop Manly is to hope this squad breaks up. For years they have been hoping they will sign elsewhere. They have now realised they are as committed to each other as they are to winning so they are hoping they will pension off

its either that or accept Manly will still be in the top 4 due to this core group in 2017, and thats a bitter pill to swallow.Its easier to plot the future where manly are not winning than to consider the present

Either way it would be cool to have another record as the oldest winning premiership team, but i doubt they are that old

Jado said:
They find a way to throw the crap at Manly don't they; seen Paul Kent's latest; "like the ex-heavyweight champ, past his prime and digging down for one last great fight".

They say Manly core players are aging, but the core players are widely agreed to be the key organising positions which are these days hooker, half, 5/8 and full back and our guys combined age is 103, yet cronk, smith, slater and finch combine to 121. So what gives? Our team would be close (if not) the combined youngest is those core positions.

Just another attempt by the media to create a negative perception about the eagles....

I thought Gareth Widdop was the Storm 5/8.

I'm just waiting on the media to pick up on what I see as obvious: we are a far better defensive team without She-Rex.
The fowards are hitting together, covering for one-another, and driving back opposition without having to rely on She-Rex who is a liability in defence.

The headline should be: Manly puts $600,000 saving into building a defensive wall

bones said:
Jado said:

I thought Gareth Widdop was the Storm 5/8.

Yeah your right, an oversight, Finch is listed 5/8 but obviously not in the side. So that adjusts Storm's combined age to 114 so we still have a younger core.

The Who said:
I'm just waiting on the media to pick up on what I see as obvious: we are a far better defensive team without She-Rex.
The fowards are hitting together, covering for one-another, and driving back opposition without having to rely on She-Rex who is a liability in defence.

The headline should be: Manly puts $600,000 saving into building a defensive wall

So true Who; I always thought him going will make room for a hard working forward. The way Tom Symonds played makes me think of Menzies; big shoes to fill but I would prefer a defensively hard working forward who can run outwide and get put into holes from his pivots rather that T-Rex.

Is anyone still bothered by what the media says?

A couple of highlights over the years

Brett tried and convicted by News
We are going to miss the 8 most years (apart from when we have been defending prems)
Every star player is going to leave

You are going to give yourself a rough time if you do not take everything the media says with a very large pinch of salt

I'm wondering how many of you actually read the article. I found it quite flattering to us. The only reference to an ageing roster was the opening line which said;

"MANLY approach their football like the ex-heavyweight champ, past his prime and digging down for one last great fight."

And even that was more a reference to our teams mature and tough attitude based on having been around the block many a time.

What should be of more concern to us is the fact that Paul Kent has written a flattering article on Manly and that Beccy was on Sunrise this morning spruiking us as the "real deal". Something is definitely up.

Frank said:
I'm wondering how many of you actually read the article. I found it quite flattering to us. The only reference to an ageing roster was the opening line which said;

"MANLY approach their football like the ex-heavyweight champ, past his prime and digging down for one last great fight."

And even that was more a reference to our teams mature and tough attitude based on having been around the block many a time.

What should be of more concern to us is the fact that Paul Kent has written a flattering article on Manly and that Beccy was on Sunrise this morning spruiking us as the "real deal". Something is definitely up.

Yeah I read it. But's it like a performer singing up on stage mid way through their career (i.e in their prime!) thumping out an amazing performance; then the journalist reviewer writing "Great Show! But I noticed they got a new wrinkle"

My point is its so vastly insignificant (or incorrect) that it needs to be questioned why in fact is was part of the story at all. Manly clearly have a mix of ages with succession plans in the background I'm sure for the elders, it has absolutely no basis for a place in telling the story of match review from Sunday.

I know its just journalists with their consistent inclusions of BS in their Manly stories, but hey, i don't complain of much, so I see complaining at Journos writing crap towards the eagles as a good venting target. :)

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8