Matty Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

hozza

Bencher
Just wanted everyone's thought on Matty B?

I have been a huge fan for a long time but couldn't help thinking we could do with some attacking spark....

Matty B stats 2015
Ave mtrs per game:32
Hit ups:4
Tackles:41.4
Try assists:0
Try's: 0
Tackle busts: 0
Attacking stats are damning but
His service from dummy half is A+, as is his defence.
Like a few on here just think 10min before half time and 10min before full time he should get a spell.

Tough to agree but I do. As said by many others Tooves uses the 4th bench prop for only 10 mins every game. What use is that really. Surely having hodges on there for a limited time would give a spark. Don't understand.

Got to agree as well. He wouldn't even necessarily need to have a spell, if it's the type of game where the forwards are tiring, he could slot into lock, defending in the middle third, giving a forward an extra spell.

If it's a case of hasson getting minutes then yeah for sure. If it was at the cost of a forward that could do some damage against a tiring pack then probably no.

The time has come IMO. I know we all love Ballin, and he has served the club well, but he is struggling. At his peak, I had him just behind Cameron Smith as the best 9 in the game, but those days are over. There are a number of really talented young hookers coming through, and some of the other clubs have gun rookies plying their trade in the lower grades.

I don't think he is completely done for yet, but the club needs to decide who is the successor (is it Hodges, or are we looking outside the club?) and they should start getting game time now!

The time has come IMO. I know we all love Ballin, and he has served the club well, but he is struggling. At his peak, I had him just behind Cameron Smith as the best 9 in the game, but those days are over. There are a number of really talented young hookers coming through, and some of the other clubs have gun rookies plying their trade in the lower grades.

I don't think he is completely done for yet, but the club needs to decide who is the successor (is it Hodges, or are we looking outside the club?) and they should start getting game time now!
I agree Snake, I don't think he is done but he hasn't got 80min in him anymore.
For me I'd be looking to other clubs and the 20s for the next big thing for next year.
Put Hodges in for this year. IMO Hodges isn't the long term solution.

Ballin consistently tops the tackle count and his runs from DH are starting to happen, he can also kick. I would prefer DCE/Snake/Killer doing the attack setups and leave MB to his own.
Yeah give him a 10 minute spell but I don't think he is up for replacement anytime soon!

Excellent defensively - but he is not a hooker with attacking tendencies.

Way too slow out of dummy - there were huge gaps in the middle last night that were not exploited.

I know it, everyone else knows it, but why doesn't Tooves know it.....

Matt has been a GREAT player for us but I feel we made the wrong call, a 1 year extension till end of 2016 would have been enough than take over the Reins from Donny singe.

A lack of pace was evident last night we are simply to slow from dummy half and in the backs.

I reckon even Tooves knows it - but when you have a guy on contract on decent $$$ for another 2 years you cant play him in reserves. His re-signing came in the midst of the initial Foran/Cherry will they/wont they saga and management we're probably happy to stem the bleeding & just retain somebody.

Ballin is one of those guys who cant change momentum - but he doesn't let the side down either. So when we're flying he's very effective just being consistent, but now we are struggling he looks like a bit of a plodder.

Whilst I agree he's on the slide a bit, He's been a great clubman & is the last bloke we should be critical of in our current predicament which is not really of his making.

Way too slow out of dummy - there were huge gaps in the middle last night that were not exploited.

Tooves still picks Hasson. Enough said.

On topic though it'd be hard to drop MB. He's not doing anything "wrong" as such, just not having a huge impact in attack.

I was surprised he was signed for another 2 years. Whilst he is a great defender he's slow and provides little spark out of dummy half. I don't rate Hodges either so I'm sure we'll be looking to recruit someone in the next 12 months.

Agree I think Hodges is far more dynamic out of dummy half and is probably more flamboyant with his attacking options. MB is getting far to slow and predictable. Has been fantastic for us but we all slow down with age.

Amazing

How do you think you build up a culture of loyalty within a club? One which players like Trbojevic and gutho want to play and stay?

I hope no one on here has been critical of the perceived lack of loyalty from our 6&7 when fans can be as fickle as this.

Yes there is a place for Hodges to come into the side and add some spark but with Jamie B already out for the year and Blake Leary settling into first grade who is going to do all the cleanup work around the ruck? It worked out so well for us when he was out in the semi’s last year

Hodges didn't let the side down in the semi last year defensively, made over 50 tackles in his first game for us. It was the other 4 or 5 forwards missing where we lost touch

And at the same time he lacked spark from dummy half as he was doing the defensive work

So loyalty means a player never get's dropped and continues 2 get a new contract?

Just because you have been great for the last 8 years doesn't mean people can't question whether a 2 year extension was appropriate.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8