Matty B a Champion but....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
After yesterday I would really like to see Buhrer get some more time at dummy half. Ballin is an integral part of the Seaeagles & personally I am an avid MB fan - he is a solid footballer. Though MB has scored some crucial tries out of dummy half there is times he does not ask too many questions from mid field. Down to 12 men & on the rocks there were a few key moments when Buhrer darted out of dummy half picking up huge metres & really getting us on the front foot. Before ppl get too excited I'm not suggesting Matty B gets the boot but just think Buhrer can add extra spark & if used at pivotal moments could add another dimension to the Manly attack.
Buhrers explosive speed & footwork can give tiring defence nightmares around the ruck area - thoughts??

Agree with everything you just said. Has to be the right moments but we saw his speed and footwork for a bigger bloke make 15 metres or so each run on a few occasions and got us going

I think you are jumping the gun a little here, not to mention missing the "enter" key on your keyboard.

Bhurer certainly offered some good quick runs out of Dummy half, and for mine seeing him play maybe 20 mins of a game in that position might be good, but i also see him as a great end of game attacking player from the backrow or just about any position.

He always makes solid quick runs and often busts through.

The one thing that sets the two apart is defense. Matty Ballin does a ton of defense, if you get the chance to rewatch the game, or for that matter watch any game in the next few weeks, watch Ballin in defense and forget about his attack. You will see a completely different player. He is a solid all rounder.

He is also a leader, he may not make a thousand runs from Dummy half, but he has one of the cleanest passing games in the comp, he hits the mark 99.9% of the time, whether on the run or as a link man. He also calls a lot of plays, and has some of the best body positioning on the field.

Another thing to watch from Ballin, is his body language, when in Dummy half, he gives away very very little to the markers, he stands almost square everytime and shifts his feet as he goes down to pick up the ball.

He also picks up and passes in a single motion which means his service is lightening quick.

Our style of footy is very much revolved around him, we get quick ball out to our halves and runners and they weave the magic. We would need to change our style of footy completely with Bhurer and I am not sure we need to tweak what we do that much.

Did you notice yesterday that when Bhurer ran from Dummy half, there was rarely any support with him?

You need to look at the whole picture here, and for me, Ballin is one of the best hookers in the game, people want quick flashy hookers (no pun intended) but forget that there is more to the game than running from dummy half and throwing a short ball

We need a decent back up in that vital position, and the best way to experience is match time.

We also need to look very closely at a backup fullback, half and five eighth. We will lose players when the rep season comes around and of course the curse of injury.

With Farrer gone I wonder if they will scout a former NRL player.

buhrer is a capable replacement, but more than yesterday need to put into perspective, Manly wont get too many games this year like yesterday, against massive forward packs, in sunshine, in the afternoon on a fast track. Remember the field was used for cricket the day before and while the pitch block was replaced I doubt they play an International cricket game with a lush outfield. It would have been quite quick

there is so much more to dummy half play than a few scoots

Jamie adds fantastic value and flxability from the bench, but i wouldnt like to see him play 8 weeks as hooker if ballin was injured. And that is the clincher for me

But a fair enough question and topic

Daniel said:
I think you are jumping the gun a little here, not to mention missing the "enter" key on your keyboard.

Bhurer certainly offered some good quick runs out of Dummy half, and for mine seeing him play maybe 20 mins of a game in that position might be good, but i also see him as a great end of game attacking player from the backrow or just about any position.

He always makes solid quick runs and often busts through.

The one thing that sets the two apart is defense. Matty Ballin does a ton of defense, if you get the chance to rewatch the game, or for that matter watch any game in the next few weeks, watch Ballin in defense and forget about his attack. You will see a completely different player. He is a solid all rounder.

He is also a leader, he may not make a thousand runs from Dummy half, but he has one of the cleanest passing games in the comp, he hits the mark 99.9% of the time, whether on the run or as a link man. He also calls a lot of plays, and has some of the best body positioning on the field.

Another thing to watch from Ballin, is his body language, when in Dummy half, he gives away very very little to the markers, he stands almost square everytime and shifts his feet as he goes down to pick up the ball.

He also picks up and passes in a single motion which means his service is lightening quick.

Our style of footy is very much revolved around him, we get quick ball out to our halves and runners and they weave the magic. We would need to change our style of footy completely with Bhurer and I am not sure we need to tweak what we do that much.

Did you notice yesterday that when Bhurer ran from Dummy half, there was rarely any support with him?

You need to look at the whole picture here, and for me, Ballin is one of the best hookers in the game, people want quick flashy hookers (no pun intended) but forget that there is more to the game than running from dummy half and throwing a short ball

Hey Dan - too busy worrying about my missing enter key & you posted about the wrong player - Bhurer. Its okay though, not here worry about that stuff, lets talk football hey. :p

Agree about Ballin as a solid footballer as I stated, but still think Buhrer adds an extra dimension.
With the speed of the current game so important Buhrer can exploit this big time imo.
The support play will come - the reason it lacked yesterday is the players are not used to that dynamic scoot from dummy half & being late in the match with fatigue kicking in there were plenty of tired bodies.
Its not going to change the game plan in a major way as DCE & Foz will still get Key ball & make the calls.
Your an Oz tag/touch player Dan, no doubt you will know the importance of a quicker player who can scoot from dummy half breaking down defence from the key area on the field - behind the ruck.
Anyways, just opinion & plenty can argue but I hope Tooves adds it to the gameplan.

bob dylan said:
We need a decent back up in that vital position, and the best way to experience is match time.

We also need to look very closely at a backup fullback, half and five eighth. We will lose players when the rep season comes around and of course the curse of injury.

With Farrer gone I wonder if they will scout a former NRL player.

Ox, Bob?

i think you will find that some of buhrers dummy half runs came when he was playing centre. Matai does it a lot. Most teams try not to overburden their dummyhalf by making him get to every play the ball. When the play the ball is out on the edge it is common for the centre to go into dummy half.
Buhrers runs were good but you could see he wasnt sure where to pass out of dummy half. It all starts from there and you need organisational skills there to keep a nice flow on. Ballin would certainly be much mre effective in that regard.
Also you dont need to be playing hooker to go into dummy half. There is nothing stopping buhrer getting in for a scoot off the back of a half break and quick play the ball down his edge

Sounds like u miss Heath L'Estrange. I wonder how that guy is doing nowadays? Any chance Manly could get him back?

Ballin can fill in at second row in a pinch as we've seen from his spot duty there over the years. So if Buhrer gets subbed on for, lets say T-Rex, I don't think that it'd be beyond either (Buhrer & Ballin) of them to swap roles for a play or two.

All theory, but Ballin doesn't need to come off the field for us to get some extra zip around the ruck. The main thing would be getting Buhrer some actual playtime at hooker so teams actual fear him as a passing threat & don't just expect the scramble every time he goes into dummy half.

Whilst Matt was off the field, Buhrer really stepped up in the dummy half role, took alot of good runs around the middle of the ruck, Matt seems to forget sometimes that he can run the ball up. Regardless Matty Ballin is in my eyes the most consistand hooker in the game, his defence is tireless and hes always in the action !

Le snack is going round for bradford bulls; played pretty good the last time I saw him a fortnight ago.

I'm with dan; ballin is more than solid, he's excellent. ballin might do a bit more out of dummy half but with the playmakers manly have I think des just had him shovelling it out asap. I noticed a bit more from him in the warriors game with the ball.

people like buhrer and other mobile fresh backs/subs should be rushing out of dummy half when we need some respite for the forwards coming out of our own end. But there's alot more to dummy half (and central defender) than that as dan detailed...

good idea to try to groom a backup dummy half. georgie?

Wolfpack said:
The main thing would be getting Buhrer some actual playtime at hooker so teams actual fear him as a passing threat & don't just expect the scramble every time he goes into dummy half.

This is exactly right, defeats the point to have him scoot whenever he is at dummy half.
The whole thread is simply opinion & far from dissapointing for MB to play an 80 minute dummy half role. Buhrer is such a talent he can also hit holes off the fringes but with the speed of todays game imo he could exploit that ruck area with huge effect.
Fact is Le Strange as pointed out made an impact replacing MB & Buhrer who is stronger, faster with better footwork has the potential to give extra firepower & terrorise any defence.
Time will tell but I wont be suprised if Tooves gives this a shot.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6