Matthew Wright to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Cowboys centre Matt Wright rumoured to be heading to Manly.

Can't say I know much about him.
ac7921908268f3e87aaff22358745e4e.jpg

190cm, 95kg 25 year old centre 8 tries in 15 games and nephew of Jesse Sene Lafoa :)

Did well on the wing for the Cowboys- played right up until rd 23 last year and would've been in their GF team if not for injury. A good buy.

Last edited:
Open main menu

Matthew Wright (rugby league)
Matthew Wright

Personal information
Nickname
Wrighty
Born 30 January 1991 (age 25)
Auckland, New Zealand
Height 190 cm (6 ft 3 in)
Weight 95 kg (14 st 13 lb)
Playing information
Position
fullback, wing, centre
Club
Years
Team Pld T G FG P
2009–13 Cronulla Sharks 62 12 6 0 60
2014– North Queensland 34 18 0 0 72
Total 96 30 6 0 132
Representative
Years
Team Pld T G FG P
2013 Samoa 1 0 0 0 0
2016 World All Stars 1 0 0 0 0
Source: RLP
Matthew Wright (born 30 January 1991) is an New Zealand rugby league player who currently plays for the North Queensland Cowboys in the NRL competition. He plays at centre, wing or fullback.

Early careerEdit

Born in Auckland, New Zealand, Wright grew up in Blacktown, New South Wales, playing his junior rugby league for St Patrick's and attending Patrician Brothers' College. While attending Patrician Brothers', Wright was a member of their rugby league team that was defeated by Matraville High in the final of 2007 GIO Schoolboy Cup.[1] In 2008, Wright was selected to play for the Australian Schoolboys.

A Penrith Panthers junior, Wright played for the Panther's Harold Matthews Cup and S.G. Ball Cup sides, winning the Harold Matthews Player of the Year award in 2007.[2] In 2008, Wright debuted for Penrith's NYC team. In 10 games, he scored 6 tries and kicked 28 goals.[3] That year he signed a three-year deal with the Cronulla Sharks.[4]

Playing careerEdit

2009Edit
After starting the 2009 season in the NYC, Wright made his first grade debut for the Sharks at just 18 years old.[5] In his rookie season, Wright played 17 games and scored 6 tries.

2010Edit
Wright spent the 2010 season playing for Cronulla's NYC and NSW Cup sides. At the end of the season, Wright played two games for the Junior Kangaroos and was selected in Samoa's train-on squad.

2011Edit
In 2011, Wright returned to first grade for the Sharks, playing 19 games all on the wing and scoring 4 tries.

2012Edit
Wright spent the majority of 2012 playing fullback for Cronulla, scoring 1 try.

2013Edit
In 2013, he made his Test debut for Samoa in the Pacific Rugby League International against Tonga.[6]

Later that season, Wright was a member of the Sharks victorious New South Wales Cup side.[7]

2014Edit
In January 2014, Wright signed a one-year deal with the North Queensland Cowboys.[8] Wright made his debut for the Cowboys in their Round 5 win over the Newcastle Knights, in which he scored a try. On 22 August, Wright became one of the current NRL players and former Sharks players to accept reduced bans from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority for his role in the 2011 Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks supplements controversy.[9]

Wright finished his first season for the Cowboys with 9 tries in 17 games, including a first half hat-trick in the side's 64-6 win over the Wests Tigers.

2015Edit
In Round 5 of the 2015 NRL season, Wright scored his second hat-trick for the Cowboys in their 30-10 win over the Penrith Panthers.

Statistics

Personal life

References

External links

Last edited 30 days ago by AddyAddy1

I don't know about NZ, supposedly he went to Gold Coast on a holiday as a kid and was seen kicking a league ball in a park so it seems he played his first footy in QLD.
:p@;)

D'OH!!!

Considering we can't discuss in the signings thread I thought I would start a new one

Apparently Matthew Wright of the Cowboys and previously Sharks could be linking with Manly on a 2 year deal before June 30

For mine a good pickup as I don't think Ramien or Parker are ready and Williame, Satini, Lavaka and Goodall do not inspire a lot of confidence

Wright would be solid backup for the back 5

Have seen a fair bit of Wright & though far from a match winner, looks fairly reliable & probably a fair backup.
Plays fullback/centre/winger with winger the position I believe he will be when playing top grade at Manly.

He is a solid back-up but way too slow to be a permanent fixture in our side. We are already carrying "slowish" centres and this guy will make Taufua look like Usain Bolt.

Though he got pinged for the cronulla asada drugs ban, it was interesting to read his thoughts which were:

1)He was the only one to have to serve actual game bans (I think)

2) There was a meeting and the coaching team said here...take this! They all decided to which was bad.

dunno about his play though...will check out the you tube highlights which never lie!

Is it a stupid question but why are we buying another centre, we are already squeezing 3 into our team as it is, we need a 5/8 more than another centre

Is it a stupid question but why are we buying another centre, we are already squeezing 3 into our team as it is, we need a 5/8 more than another centre

Our buying isn't finished, and we needed better depth. Also the powers believe that Walker will make the grade.

Could it be he is there to help the hapless Willow and NSW Cup without Moltzen, who will probably return only to break something new? Also, with Isaac John injured, Jamie Buhrer (always injured) we may need some depth down there.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8