Matai's milestone to inspire a revival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Cast an eye over the Manly 200 club and it's easy to understand why the Sea Eagles' history is so proud, fierce and factionalised.

Despite a constantly evolving backdrop of off-field subplots, Manly remain one of the most iconic brands in the NRL, building a winning culture that is the envy of most other clubs.

Which brings us to Steve Matai, the cornrowed, hard-as-nails centre who epitomises everything great and everything people hate about Manly.

Read More

Cast an eye over the Manly 200 club and it's easy to understand why the Sea Eagles' history is so proud, fierce and factionalised.

Despite a constantly evolving backdrop of off-field subplots, Manly remain one of the most iconic brands in the NRL, building a winning culture that is the envy of most other clubs.

Which brings us to Steve Matai, the cornrowed, hard-as-nails centre who epitomises everything great and everything people hate about Manly.

It's fitting Matai will notch his 200th NRL appearance at the Sea Eagles' spiritual home of Brookvale Oval against Penrith this weekend, especially given the wonderful service the left centre has given the club since his debut in 2005.

When it comes to tight-knit playing groups, they don't come much tighter than the squad on the northern beaches. They will lift to farewell retiring front-rower Jason King, another ornament for the Sea Eagles.

Add the announcement about Glenn Stewart having already played his last game for Manly and it's easy to conclude the Sea Eagles' August flat-spot could be about to be swept through Sydney Heads.

Even though Matai won't have Glenn Stewart carving up on Manly's right edge, there's no question Stewart will leave a lasting legacy at the club where the pair won premierships in 2008 and 2011.

"There's a group of us that have been playing semi-final football for the last 10 years. We know what it takes to get the job done," Matai said. "Jason King and Glenn Stewart will be finishing up at the end of this season and they're a massive part of what we've built. We'll definitely miss them.

"The last few weeks we haven't turned up mentally, we haven't turned up ready to play, and if you turn up without the right attitude against any side in the NRL you're going to get hurt.

"It showed for us last week. We were there for half a game and then we switched off. You can't do that and expect to win games, especially leading into the semis. But if we turn up with the right attitude for the next five or six weeks, I can't see why we won't be lifting the trophy at the end of the year."

And there it is. The confidence, professionalism and belief that defines the Sea Eagles' culture. No club combines infighting and hatred with an incessant knack for winning like Manly.

Go back to 1987, when Paul Vautin captained a side containing Cliff Lyons and Des Hasler to a memorable premiership, and you gain an insight into how the Sea Eagles have always thrived on animosity.

The coach back then was the great Bob Fulton, a rugby league Immortal, with his captain Vautin and the champion five-eighth and centre sharing a father-son rapport.

That was until Vautin was cut from the club and forced to finish his career at Eastern Suburbs, when the Sea Eagles legends had a monumental fallout.

This year, the club's failure to offer Glenn Stewart a contract was a mistake, leading fellow club icons Matai and Anthony Watmough to both request releases.

Despite the off-field distractions, the Sea Eagles continue to get the job done where it matters most.
James Hooper
The Daily Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/steve-matais-milestone-not-the-only-symbol-of-manlys-history-and-future/story-fni3gnk1-1227042319250

Just because it says a couple of positive things about Manly's culture does not make it a pro Manly, just means he snuck a bit of fact into an anti-Manly article.

He made sure he included alleged player feuds, both current and decades old. There is so much he could have written about Steve Matai without referring to that drivel.

Get the other corn-rower (Tapau) over here.

And the long-haired lout, Ryan James.

That trio can trade hair-care tips, and combine to dish out punishment for the short-haired or baldies, lol.

Matai is as hard as nails and he is the one played I never want to see in another teams colours he's invaluable.
A great effort to knock up 200 games and what a fitting way at a packed Brookie. Manly by 13+

To rack up 200 games with the way he plays is awesome. Every game you really do think he'll struggle to get through. The man must seriously eat nails for breakfast.

RiverEagle said:

That trio can trade hair-care tips, and combine to dish out punishment for the short-haired or baldies, lol.

Can't understand all the talk about James. He's a injury prone heap. What little time he has been on the field I've never seen him play a good game. Only plays 20-30 minutes a game. No thanks!!

the mauler said:
RiverEagle said:

Can't understand all the talk about James. He's a injury prone heap. What little time he has been on the field I've never seen him play a good game. Only plays 20-30 minutes a game. No thanks!!

Fair enough mate.

He does sometimes really fire up.

Injuries can be cyclical (as in some blokes get heaps for awhile; then come good). Can happen to ANY player anytime.

I just reckon with US he'd quite possibly mature and prosper, like most do.

Matai ran out with his two little Boys, then proceeded to wipe his tears of pride :heart:

Hope he and Manly can make up and we get to cheer him on for a few more Seasons :angel:

Stevie didn't disappoint today. Great hit on that young Penrith pup, wouldn't expect anything less to celebrate his 200th. It'll be a joke if he has to sit out anytime for that hit.

Jorge was denied a fair try, Matai's 'inteference' is due to him running past a Player who came out of the defensive line FFS :mad:
https://www.nrl.com/rd-25-sea-eagles-v-panthers-hls/tabid/10959/contentid/683185/tabindex/1/default.aspx

Matai's 'shoulder charge' also includes his arms and hands - ie. its a tackle FFS :mad:
[attachment=869]

Foxsports reporting that Matai has rejected a 2 year extension deal from Manly for 2016/17. Perhaps loyalty/culture actually comes at a $ price.

mickqld said:
Foxsports reporting that Matai has rejected a 2 year extension deal from Manly for 2016/17. Perhaps loyalty/culture actually comes at a $ price.

No @mickqld just "argy bargy".

In days gone by this would never have made the press but now that Dickhead Gavin Orr is onboard, anything that isn't his liking goes straight to the Telegraph.

When I was doing "fee for service: in my travel business I'd always go in high, then come back a little, then agree on middle ground (which is about where I wanted to be anyway).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6