Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
I've seen quite a few different responses to Matai's situation at the moment. I've got to say that I am appalled by the behavior. Even more so because it was a young female who he decided to vent his anger on.

On his punishment we are aware that this is his second offense. Quite a few have said that he was very lucky in his last barroom scuffle so it paints a pretty clear picture to me that he has no regard for his own public image, so why the club? I don't think it matters what player it is but if Matai or any other player commits repeated similar offenses, in my opinion we need to make an example of them and tear up a contract. The Manly club have done a pretty good job of keeping a clean record and the last place we want our team is on the front page for reason's other than good performances.

Someone on MSE mentioned a point that really made a lot of sense when I read it and shines a different light on the situation.

We didn't even consider an attempt at Faumuina because we didn't want that sort of drunken behavior as part of the Manly image. I think the Matai situation will give us an indication of just how strong that stance is if he slips up again.

Image,......rubbish.

If his offences are bad enough, the police can deal with it, his mates can tell him to pull his head in, all that.

I don't condone bad behaviour, I can't stand that kind of thing at all.

I just don't see it as any of our business.

To us they're footballers. I support them as footballers. As blokes, I might like some of them, I mightn't like others but that makes no difference to me when they're on the field, I support them all. Off the field they're just people.

actually they are employees of a group who represent our community, and are also responsible for attracting and in some cases of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sponsorship thanks to this kind of behaviour.

Turn your time machine back to 2007 Duff!

If you're refused service at a pub you don't attempt to jump the bar and give the poor worker gob fulls, unless of course you're a total yob. He should have just moved on to another watering hole. The guy just lacks judgement. Put him in PL to learn humility.

I would be interested in knowing the full details of this story. The media love to implicate leaguies that fit a stereotype where they can. They never let the truth spoil a good story.

However, where there is smoke, there is often fire and this is not the first 'strike' for Matai. Hopefully he will hear the wake-up call, unlike that ridiculous young yob from Canberra who has failed to respond.

He would have been put on notice to satisfy the media not neccessarily as a direct result of the incident. The truth on what happens proably lies in between what the barmaid said and what matai reckons.

I think the club ahs dealt with it perfectly so far.

If he had touched her he should be out the door, but it didnt go that far. Dumb, yes, but not quite a sackable offence in my book, and a good wakeup call that he isnt in Manurewa anymore.

I dont think the 1st instance can keep being brought up as a 'strike' because he was cleared in a court of law, wheather people say he was lucky or not, there was an investigation, with camera footage, and the club got behind him 100%

If they sacked Matai for this offence, then they make a bed they must lie in if Watmough was found guilty on the accusation against him, they would have to send him down the road too

No way should we sack him for this. What he did was dumb, no doubt about it. However he is young and will make these sorts of mistakes, hopefully he will learn from this. I know on the odd occasion I have been out on the piss and carried on like a tool. I know some will say he should know better but the fact is when you are on the piss you lose control and do stupid things. He should not drink as much and when he does have a few his mates need to look after him better.

I don't and will never understand the piss-pot mentality of professional sportsman.

I do a bit of road-biking and try and treat my body as a temple, especially if I have a big ride coming up.

Matai is in the middle of the footy season and he is off chops at 4am. If I was up until 4am on the drink, the rest of the next day would be spent dead in bed -- this isn't good for him at all.

Not sure if its been reported elsewhere but the ABC mentioned that Des is particularly displeased with Matai. Apparently he was supposed to take a message back to the bench when he came off but instead went straight up the tunnel. Don't know if there's anything in it. ABC suggested there was a chance the Koala would stay in firsts next week as a consequence. Can't see that happening.

Not sure if its been reported elsewhere but the ABC mentioned that Des is particularly displeased with Matai. Apparently he was supposed to take a message back to the bench when he came off but instead went straight up the tunnel. Don't know if there's anything in it. ABC suggested there was a chance the Koala would stay in firsts next week as a consequence. Can't see that happening.

Only caught the tail end of that on the call, is that all it was ??? Nothing in it then in my view, could quite easily be misunderstood from either end on the park.

and just some further background you may or may not know, NBQ is the head caller David Morrows nephew, so he would push his cause a wee bit

NBQ was given one point in the Dally Ms last night. He finished well and didn't let anyone down. If Hicks had have looked for support instead of angling in last night he could have scored four!!

If Hicks had have looked for support instead of angling in last night he could have scored four!!

He must have thought someone needed to make up for Bells absence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4