Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What astounds me more were some fans saying we dont need or want Lyon as a result of his good form.

The issue isn't Matai v Lyon. That's a no-brainer. The issue is whether you thrown all of your money at one player and leave gaping holes elsewhere.

Like throwing all of our money at the Ox and then having a bench that Des doesn't trust to use & no backup when injuries or rep games hit.

We should be able to sign Matai & Burns for peanuts & use excess money to strengthen other positions.

IMO we can get a decent forward to help ease the pain of BK leaving. BK can not be replaced!!!!! We should also be able to get Lyon as well imo, I dont think he will make his decision purely on money, I am sure it is a factor but not the deciding one.

The fact is our backs are looking better but we still 1 one more class player in the backline!!!! Foolish to rule out Lyon after a couple of good performances for Matai. Which is what some were doing.

Douggie - I'm just saying that our natural culture of the past 9 years has mutated to the point where losing as much as, or more than win is acceptable to the point of the fans praising the team. That cutlure then breeds "short term projecting". If a player has one or two good games, then we say we have a superstar. If the team win 3 games straight, we better sign up the coach long term. If we lose as many games as we win by the 10th round...probably lose more than win after this round...we are having a solid year !!!

With all due respect to Corso, he had a go at me because I suggested that Bell could be a good 2nd rower in the future. He suggested tthat was a ridiculous idea, and why would one move one of the best centre 3/4's from his preferred position. My answer is the QLD origin selectors did !!! Additionally, we could have Matai and Lyon in the centres, with an aged Bell (who would play like Beaver, and Darren Smith to some extent) in the lock or second row position.

We need to start being fans that demand success, and not praise mediocrity. I want something better than what is being produced from the club.

Therefore, in answer to your thread (and valid comments as well), I think it's time to give Jason Wells, Luke Williamson or Michael Monaghan a go at 5/8. Burns obviously struggles with the size of the game. I'd prefer Monaghan, with Matt Ballin & Shayne Dunley interchanging.

Anyways that's my take.

I'd also drop Matai like a fly in front of the television if an opportunity arose for Lyon to partner Bell in the centres !!! I say that combo is better than Gasnier and Cooper.

:lol: :lol: Funny Ryan. After a couple of wins you are usually one of the most positive posters on these boards saying how good we are going etc etc then 1 loss and all is lost. Although this season you have been more consistant I must admit.

Mate - there are always ebs and flows in a season, and yeah, I ride them with the best of them. Why not?

That said, in my opinion, I think we shouldn't be too hasty when analysing a short term output of player / coach / club.

I think that's why Monaghan was offered $240k, and I think this prove that hasty decisions could be harmful long term.

That said again...Monaghan is a bright light this year !!!

Has talent but needs maturity and experience Puts in but must use his head to get better results.

Good post davids

That was direct from a school report you just wrote isnt it?

yeah my bad. should have thought about that a bit more cleary. but you catch my drift

With all due respect to Corso, he had a go at me because I suggested that Bell could be a good 2nd rower in the future. He suggested tthat was a ridiculous idea, and why would one move one of the best centre 3/4's from his preferred position. My answer is the QLD origin selectors did !!!

The Qld selectors moved him from centre to wing, just my view but that positional change is hardly radical, coach Meninga has stated that he will interchange Tate & Bell during the match.

I don't think that this selection by the Qld selectors provides any credence at all to your suggestion that Bell should bulk up and move into the second row.

yeah my bad. should have thought about that a bit more cleary. but you catch my drift

i caught your drift i just had to have a good chuckle at the ironic error you made.

it was a golden moment in my lunch time

[quote author=Ryan]
With all due respect to Corso, he had a go at me because I suggested that Bell could be a good 2nd rower in the future. He suggested tthat was a ridiculous idea, and why would one move one of the best centre 3/4's from his preferred position. My answer is the QLD origin selectors did !!!

The Qld selectors moved him from centre to wing, just my view but that positional change is hardly radical, coach Meninga has stated that he will interchange Tate & Bell during the match.

I don't think that this selection by the Qld selectors provides any credence at all to your suggestion that Bell should bulk up and move into the second row.
[/quote]

Fair comments mate, but I meant that there are always alternatives for class players, if it means longetivity in the game (espescially if it means strengthening another position).

I agree we should not, and will not move Bell in the next two or three years, but with his build, and the fact that he started 1st grade quite late, I would like to see him play until he is 34-35 or something, and at that stage of his career, I hope he would make a great Lock, that could also lead be example like The Beaver.

I also probably was saying that I don't want the club to make rash decisions when a player shows a glimpse of quality. Des Hasler should be on a year by year contract in my opinion. Players like this seem to excel, I'm sure a coach would too.

Fair comments mate, but I meant that there are always alternatives for class players, if it means longetivity in the game (espescially if it means strengthening another position).

I agree we should not, and will not move Bell in the next two or three years, but with his build, and the fact that he started 1st grade quite late, I would like to see him play until he is 34-35 or something, and at that stage of his career, I hope he would make a great Lock, that could also lead be example like The Beaver.

I also probably was saying that I don't want the club to make rash decisions when a player shows a glimpse of quality. Des Hasler should be on a year by year contract in my opinion. Players like this seem to excel, I'm sure a coach would too.

Talk about drawing a very long bow to advance one of the more dubious debate subjects ive seen in years.

No direct or personal offence intended Ryan, but the thread of this debate about Bell & 2nd row years down the track and what that may have in connection with the fortunes of Des and this club & all the other if's and maybe's contained in your reasoning & to then go on & add "i was probably saying" makes this one of the more irrelevant ramblings seen in a thread on ST in a long time. :sleep:

And I note Mattai was the actual topic ! :roll:

Mate - there are always ebs and flows in a season, and yeah, I ride them with the best of them. Why not?

That said, in my opinion, I think we shouldn't be too hasty when analysing a short term output of player / coach / club.

I think that's why Monaghan was offered $240k, and I think this prove that hasty decisions could be harmful long term.

That said again...Monaghan is a bright light this year !!!

if Monaghs is a bright likght this year, and i agree he is comparatively speaking, its because he is playing Hooker, why now then shuffle him again to 5/8 and weken the hooker position, with Orford at half, i think Hooker is essentially a sport that we need to keep strong.

'THAT CULTURE THEN BREEDS SHORT TERM PROJECTING"

This is from the man who brought us the famous "is cuthbertson our next BK" thread after 30 minutes of first grade.probably the most ridiculous comparison ever presented on this forum.
make up your mind old boy.can't have it both ways.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4