Matai update... hot off the press...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

PCam

As a lifelong Manly fan and avid 'guest' of this site, i have taken Mark from Brisbane's advice and joined...

SMH are running an update on the Matai re-signing... and it doesn't look promising. I understand that Matai and Perry, in particular, we're given an ultimatum at the start of the season to perform and warrant a new contract. We know what has happened with Perry, but i for one believe that Matai certainly deserves a new deal...

Matai in two minds after Sea Eagles contract offer comes up short
CHRIS BARRETT
July 13, 2010

Flying away . . . Steve Matai is set to leave the Sea Eagles.

MANLY have made a last-ditch bid to retain their New Zealand international centre Steve Matai, but the three-year contract offer made by the Sea Eagles yesterday is unlikely to be sufficient to keep him at Brookvale Oval.

Matai, off contract at the end of the season, is due to give an answer to coach Des Hasler today after weighing up the new deal last night. However, the chances of the 25-year-old accepting the offer are minimal, as the salary is considerably less than offers from two rival NRL clubs including the New Zealand Warriors and three English Super League sides.

Matai's agent, Gavin Orr, said Hasler would be told Matai's decision today, but conceded Manly's offer was below what the player had hoped for. ''It's something that he's got to consider,'' he said. ''It [the offer] is probably not where he's at at the moment. Whether they want to improve on that is another thing.

''There are other clubs in Europe and in the UK that are offering better deals at this stage. [Manly] have been hamstrung with what they were able to offer but we're just considering everything.''

A frustrated Matai last week gave Manly an ultimatum: give me an offer by Monday or I'm off. The Sea Eagles took the hint and tabled a three-year deal before the deadline expired yesterday but there remains a sense of unease on Matai's side about Manly's priorities.

''I think he's probably been in their top two or three players this year,'' Orr said. ''The frustration is more from Steve's side of things. I think Steve is very unhappy they haven't made him a priority and recognised what he gives the team each and every week.''

The Sea Eagles have faced a challenge to retain some of their leading players after tying up Anthony Watmough, Jamie Lyon and Kieran Foran on long-term contract extensions earlier this season.

They added Glenn Stewart to that list in June but the constraints of the salary cap rendered them far from competitive when Canterbury came sniffing for their rookie halfback Trent Hodkinson, who the Bulldogs eventually lured with $280,000 a year. Representative prop Josh Perry is also on the way out, headed for St Helens.

Meanwhile, Canberra fullback Josh Dugan's new contract with the Raiders will finally be made official today - after his name is mentioned in the ACT Magistrates Court on driving charges.

The 20-year-old was yesterday due to front a news conference with Raiders chief executive Don Furner announcing his one-year extension at Canberra but did not know he was meant to show. The scheduling gaffe was put down to a lack of communication between Dugan's management and Raiders officials.

His deal, struck despite strong interest from the Bulldogs and the Sydney Roosters, keeps him at Canberra until the end of 2012. Dugan faces charges of negligent driving and driving while suspended in June.

It'll be a bummer if Shoulders leaves, when fit and stringing together some games, he is one of our most consistent and definitely one of our most committed each week. We'll miss the starch he brings to the defence out wide and we'll miss his dummy half work even more. Hopefully he can give T-Rex a masterclass in leg drive and punching through the line before he leaves.

Put him on a games played contract. Divide his contract by the number of games in the year, but only pay him 1/3 rate for the games he misses. If he wants Manly to take the punt on him, then maybe he should be prepared to do the same.

Welcome PCam and pleased you took the bait, it was meant to try and get those that were "just lookers" to start and communicate. As I am sure Dan (site owner) will tell you there's a  "submit articles" button up on the right hand side, so these things need to go in there...other than that mate well done for your first post...and fingers crossed we don't lose Steve

swoop link said:
The above article has been posted a few times on this forum.
Come on swoop fair go mate
it doesnt really matter does it

welcome to the board Pcam

Cambo link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=184008.msg273954#msg273954 date=1278992133]

[/quote]

Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. I didn't read the first part of the post.

Welcome Pcam

This is the major reason we are playing like ****. There is core of players which are very close with each other and they are obviously ****ty at the treatment of Matai and Perry in all this and their form on the field is showing their anger. We have a very fractured playing group which wont change this year at all. It seems some players have decided that the club can go **** itself I'm not putting in for this bunch of arseholes.

I just want this to be over and done with now, and his manager to get a good kick in the balls

The Warriors only became interested after his manager stated in a newspaper he wouldn't mind coming home. Fair enough, but now the manager comes out today, and introduces a UK move into the equation

Michqld, this isn't the reason we're playing like crap.  You're making assumptions based on your own emotional state.  Relax buddy.  Players come and go.  That's what a salary cap does to teams.  Perry is a lazy fat log, so I doubt if anyone wants to continue carrying him.  Matai has put in, but he's physical state and suspensions must bug others and of course he wants more than he's probably worth.  If he can squeeze it out of some other club then he'll go.  That's capitalism for you.  Keep the faith.  

The more you post DSM, the more I like you....VERY sensible stuff and always on the money...can I give you more than one applaud for the above?

Cambo link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=184008.msg273954#msg273954 date=1278992133]

[/quote]

I don't think swoop meant anything bad with his comments about the post.  He was just stating the facts.

We're all just edgy waiting for some new news about Matai because there's supposed to be an answer today (at least according to the articles doing the rounds).    When I read the title I though here we go could this be it but alas no we will have to wait longer.

Pcam, welcome mate.

DSM5 that forward pack plus Matai and Lyon have been together for a good 5-6seasons now. They have been through a lot together plus winning a premiership I would think they would be a pretty tight group together.

Maybe, but really, players at that level need to look after themselves financially.  I'm sure Beaver was in that tight group too, but all good things come to an end and Shoulders needs to look after himself.  If he can get more elsewhere then he should go.  Loyalty never pays the bills when you're in a hospital bed somewhere at 45 years of age getting a plastic arm attached.   

Mick Juice link said:
Put him on a games played contract. Divide his contract by the number of games in the year, but only pay him 1/3 rate for the games he misses. If he wants Manly to take the punt on him, then maybe he should be prepared to do the same.

You gotta be kidding me. Matai hardly misses many games through injury. The only games he misses are if he is suspended.

He is one of only a handful of players that can hold their heads up high and say that they put in week in week out for the full 80mins.

He still has another 3 good years in him and I rather be playing with him rather than against him.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I just want this to be over and done with now, and his manager to get a good kick in the balls

The Warriors only became interested after his manager stated in a newspaper he wouldn't mind coming home. Fair enough, but now the manager comes out today, and introduces a UK move into the equation

Yeah he could be after bigger dollars from Manly so that's why the manager starts throwing this stuff around.

But if the rumours are right about what the warriors are offering, to be honest he's not worth it, and we could put it to good use elsewhere.

Well if these guys aren't stung into action this week by the criticism that is being directed at them by the media and fans at the moment then there is no hope for them. They simply cannot lose to the Sharks this week there can be no excuses. Some very big reputations are on the line this week including the coach. It will be very interesting to watch I am actually looking forward to it.

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Geez, fancy a Manager trying to get the best for himself and his client. The horror.

Manly's the only ones at fault here. Signing Chris Bailey for good coin, signing both the Wolfman and Robertson up on solid contracts. Piss poor at best management.

Volley link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184008.msg273978#msg273978 date=1278998509]

Geez, fancy a Manager trying to get the best for himself and his client. The horror.

Manly's the only ones at fault here. Signing Chris Bailey for good coin, signing both the Wolfman and Robertson up on solid contracts. Piss poor at best management.
[/quote]

Mate, I know it is their jobs, doesn't mean I have to like the Karmichael Hunt's. Stringing a few clubs along doesn't need to occur from some of these clowns

On behalf of Dan i'd like to bring to your attention the 'Submit Article' button in the top right had corner of the site.

Doing so will increase the lifespan of Zaps S,U,B,M,I,T,A,R,C,L and E keys.

Welcome to the site :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4