Matai is a judiciary target, says Cherry-Evans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
eagles2win said:
It's actually occurred to me the nrl violated its own safety rules in regards to head injuries by allowing George Burgess to play on.
For him to stay down on the ground that long must've meant he had a pretty bad head knock (rules are rules).
So it would also mean he wouldn't be able to play this weekend.

Thought I saw him walking down the sideline after the whole incident/brawl?

I feel for matai. He should never have been suspended.

Glad to see the manly boys sticking up for thier team mate.

Hopefully he takes out his frustration on the chooks in 2 weeks.

ifernolan said:
eagles2win said:
It's actually occurred to me the nrl violated its own safety rules in regards to head injuries by allowing George Burgess to play on.
For him to stay down on the ground that long must've meant he had a pretty bad head knock (rules are rules).
So it would also mean he wouldn't be able to play this weekend.

Thought I saw him walking down the sideline after the whole incident/brawl?

Yep, they subbed him straight after. They get a free interchange as he was "a victim of foul play" and Matai was put on report. Plus by doing that it makes the incident look worse as he's been replaced whether he was hurt or not.
The Titans got nothing as O'Dwyer played on and the refs missed it.

King said:
What about the grapple tackle from Sam Burgess on Steve Matai? There is a pic getting around on Facebook of it. Funny how that was conveniently missed by the match review committee.

Can you or anyone else link that pic?

[attachment=513]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151360558405474&set=o.2204737534&type=1&theater

Burgess admits hit on his brother was fair. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/steve-matais-reputation-costly-manly/story-fnca0von-1226632627831

Absurd that NRL punished Matai for having spectacular effect. It will be in the season highlight reel for sure, Shouldn't have even been a penalty & yet somehow he is suspended. Well done NRL for further sterilising the entertainment.

If he fought the charge and lost, how many weeks would that be?

However, this whole episode is so infuriatingly maddening. Souffs have also broken my b/s'ometre with their cattyness.

Players, get organised!

The Souffs fans have done nothing but whinge all week. You don't see them carry on like this when Inglis knocks out Dean Young.

dowdz said:
The Souffs fans have done nothing but whinge all week. You don't see them carry on like this when Inglis knocks out Dean Young.
They can all go and get ****ed , Matais suspension is a ****ing joke

Does anybody know if there has ever been a case of a player being suspended where the initial contact was with the ball?

Matai is like Manly - takes the hits but will never take a backward step :angel:

Each offence in the NRL is meant to be judged on its own merit, as they kept saying with Fa'aoso's double charge this week.

So how is Matai's past record, to which the MRC has heavily contributed, relevant :huh:

Love ya, Stevie - don't ever let the Bastards keep you down :heart:

So Sam Burgess has come out and said he knew at the time it was a fair tackle and yet he still reacted to it.
The judiciary have given Steve one week, which they have the power to do.
Do they also have the power to reverse their decision after it has been shown to be wrong?
Not that I think there's a snowflakes chance in Hell of this happening of course but if Burgess had piped up before the decision had been made instead of after there's every chance the club would have fought the charge.
Thanks for nothing Sam.

While we are all a little disappointed that the club isn't challenging the Matai suspension, if you think about it logically it is the right thing for the club to do.

If we challenge the charge then Matai will either get 0 weeks or 2. Who knows what they will decide... the only thing consistent about the judiciary is its inconsistency, so I reckon it's fair to say there is a 50% chance of either outcome.

I think Tooves is pretty confident we can take the Dragons without Matai, but we will need all hands on deck against the Chooks the following week.

At the end of the day, a 1 week suspension (whilst ridiculous) probably won't really affect us too much, but a 2 week suspension would.

As much as I would like to fight for the principle, I think the club made the right call.

Club should of taken the risk and fought the charge. Wonder if Burgess would of said anything if Matai didn't get suspended?

Just read the Burgess article. He admits Matai made a fair hit and that he was the one who rushed in and started throwing punches yet Sam is in and Matai is out!
A fair system?
BS of the highest order. My inner Steve Matai is boiling today. Note to self - do not tackle the boss.

Maybe we should change the thread to Manly are the NRL target.

Moondog said:
So Sam Burgess has come out and said he knew at the time it was a fair tackle and yet he still reacted to it.
The judiciary have given Steve one week, which they have the power to do.
Do they also have the power to reverse their decision after it has been shown to be wrong?
Not that I think there's a snowflakes chance in Hell of this happening of course but if Burgess had piped up before the decision had been made instead of after there's every chance the club would have fought the charge.
Thanks for nothing Sam.
the thing here is,there is no one in the media that will put in an argument about it,because there is no media that favours us,and the whole media hate skivvy,the thing that worries me is,he will always be scrutinised by the media,I just hope he isnt forced into retirement like Craige Smith was when he played,yeah his case is different,but after being suspended for a few times,he tried to change his style but couldnt,so he ended up saying WTF,they are going to keep picking on me,so the best thing to do was reire,and he did

niccipops said:
My inner Steve Matai is boiling today.

This is gold. I am going to use this phrase regularly....

eg. "If you piss me off you will have to deal with my inner Steve Matai...."

Every Manly fan has one!

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4