Mata has been busy -New football academy proposed for Dubbo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
well having gone to an all boys school for six years if I have kids I wouldnt send them there or to any same sex school.

What are your reasons PJ? I think there are very good reasons for and against coed schools. I'd like to know your rationale.

Lots of reasons for and against coed v single sex. Studies show that girls tend to do better in single sex schools whilst studying at that level but very few people put any time into looking at what happens beyond school, both in study and other areas.

Interesting to note that very few new schools are single sex. I mght start a new discussion not to hijack this thread.

It is relevant though because I think there are reasons for giving people of race particular and specific tutelage - for similar reasons to the reasons given for same sex schooling.

At my highschool , as well as normal studies , the aboriginal kids had xtra classes (not sure if they were xtra, or in replace of another lesson) on their heritage and aboriginal releated issues. thought this was a good initiative. Also there was a seperate Aboriginal councilor.

South Sydney star David Peachey has thrown his support behind a proposed rugby league academy for Aboriginal children. As reported in yesterday's Daily Liberal, Parkes MP John Cobb is looking at options for the recently re-opened Warrina Youth Hostel and an academy focused on developing talented Aboriginal players is one of the options being discussed. Peachey, who has enjoyed a long and celebrated career in the National Rugby League and English Super League, said not only would an academy help recognise the talent of kids in far-reaching parts of the State, it would also promote a healthy, educated lifestyle. "The good thing about an idea like this is that it would allow these kids to get an education and also develop as footballers," Peachey said. "I was lucky that I was part of a good school team and that helped me get recognised by scouts in Sydney. "Out here generally if you don't make the representatuve sides then you don't get those opportunities. "In the city they have everything at their doorstep but out in the bush it is a lot harder. "Ronnie Gibbs does a good job with the Far West Academy but an academy in Dubbo could continue the good work Ronnie already does." The former NSW State of Origin representative held a rugby league carnival in Dubbo on the October long weekend and noticed the level of talented players competing from various small and remote towns. He said if these players were given the opportunity to get to Dubbo and be seen by various talent scouts, it could only be a good thing. "At my carnival I noticed one kid from Enngonia that could really play footy but most people would say 'where is Enngonia'," Peachey said. "If he was able to come to Dubbo and get a better education and be taught about the game of rugby league he might make a good go of it. "That is why John Cobb deserves some credit for coming up with an idea like this, now we just have to hope it happens." Peachey is renowned in sporting circles for the work he does with children and he has spent time this week in North Queensland teaching kids about healthy, active lifestyles. "I'm up here with Nova Peris and we are working on Aboriginal health projects," he said. "It's something I really like to do and if we can help a few kids out by showing them how we made it to become elite athletes then that is a good thing."

In some coed classes they have mixed classes for certain subjects. I think it is important to look at the outcome rather than the action in isolation in trying to determine effectiveness. If segregated classes (eg Aborigines etc) give them a fighting chance then it may be a good thing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4