Master of the Red Herring

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Alan

Reserve Grader
As a relative new comer to Silvertails, I enjoy the witty and otherwise banter as much as I welcome the insightful football analysis of many of the posters.

I have seen threads go off topic in the first response and one poster recently commented that a single thread contained every subject short of knitting tips.

This leads me to the question, who is Silvertails acknowledged Master of the Red Herring. And should we celebrate the skill and wit involved, or have him/her diagnosed ADHD.

As there appears to be many, please nominate a 3-2-1 ranking. All nominations will be confidential.

Lol mate.

I don't know so much about red herrings, but there's definitely the odd snake in the grass.

Present company excluded of course.

I enjoy the banter, especially if it's clever, and even silly in moderation. Life's too serious as it is sometimes.

But everyone has their limits and interpretations too, so it's a moveable feast.

And if you think I'm naming names or nominating anyone here, you're a stunned mullet old mate (not a red herring as it were!)

River, River, River you have leapt to the argument that being a red herring is a bad thing, not at all. In many families and professions it is an admired and necessary skill.

All nominations are treated in the strictest confidence, and to prove it I'll put @Globaleagle forward as a fine exponent of the art if not a Master.

I dunno about red herrings...but I saved a fish from drowning once!

Regarding your comments about adhd I'd just like to .....hey look a blue car!!!!!

Maybe so Alan...

Traditionally though I thought a red herring is one who tries to mislead and deceive mate; to lead astray for the wrong reason and / or simply for the seeking of attention purely for it's own sake...?

Even global isn't that mischievous!

Often I see the tangents or trains of thought as stream of consciousness style, sometimes to illuminate a point, or else entertain each other a little......Never really for the purpose of deception mate.

And yeah, totally serious on your subject there dude!

RiverEagle said:
Maybe so Alan...

Traditionally though I thought a red herring is one who tries to mislead and deceive mate; to lead astray for the wrong reason and / or simply for the seeking of attention purely for it's own sake...?

Even global isn't that mischievous!

Often I see the tangents or trains of thought as stream of consciousness style, sometimes to illuminate a point, or else entertain each other a little......Never really for the purpose of deception mate.

And yeah, totally serious on your subject there dude!

The idiom "red herring" is used to refer to something that misleads or distracts from the relevant or important issue.[1] It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or characters towards a false conclusion. A red herring might be intentionally used, such as in mystery fiction or as part of a rhetorical strategy (e.g. in politics), or it could be inadvertently used during argumentation as a result of poor logic.

Or in Global's case ADHD.

LOL'd literally there!

And JD in global's case.

(Jack Daniels).

I take your point there, and thanks for the deeper definition I guess.

It still implies illicit behaviour to me; as in ulterior motives mate.....And I don't really see that at work too often. Maybe to a lower degree here and there, but most people seem upfront or just naturally annoying...lol.

There's no rule here that we all have to like each other anyways!!!

EDIT : I was just leaving, honest!

Hey global

"I love youse all"

And tonight it's wild turkey.

Ever notice that some nights you drink a quarter of a bottle of spirits and you're zonked....then other nights you drink the other 3/4 and you feel fine??

That's me tonight!

ALSO.... ever notice if you have a yummy piece of milk chocolate...mmmmm yum yum yum...BUT if you have a glass of milk with it....all the taste is destroyed!!!!! What the hell is up with that????

PLUS - I think I'm an unfortunate thread hijacker...more than a red herring inserter (who'd wanna insert a red herring....wait I just checked google...ewww don't do that!)

Agatha christie had a red herring in her book "and then there were none."

Incredibly....sympathise is from a greek word meaning suffer.

So...I sympathise with you means....I suffer with you.

burp

@Globaleagle In some forums, PUI (posting under the influence) is considered very poor form.

Have you noticed that River has been a bit fired up lately. I think it is sexual tension.

From what you just posted I assume you don't have much of a sex life, could you give river some tips on dealing with not getting any.

yeah....don't get married!

wedding cake kills 99% of a woman's libido!

I see what you did there GE. Wedding cake is, in this case the red herring. Of course herrings went always red. In the olden days herrings were silver in color much like nice cutlery and speaking of cutlery did you hear the some McDonalds were providing knifes and folks so they could be classed as a restaurant and not a take away? So MsDonalds is evolving just like the Catholic Church which although evolving believes that the bible controls all the history of the world and excludes evolution so the herring has not evolved but was changed by some entity in the sky who needs lots of your money and cares about your sexuality.
Weird huh.

Alan said:
@Globaleagle In some forums, PUI (posting under the influence) is considered very poor form.

Have you noticed that River has been a bit fired up lately. I think it is sexual tension.

From what you just posted I assume you don't have much of a sex life, could you give river some tips on dealing with not getting any.

I believe many here have PUI'd Alan, and thank goodness for our edit and delete buttons!

Personally , apart from beer of course, my bourbon of choice is Jim Beam...partly because my brother drinks nothing else, and partly because it's often cheaper than others. I'm nothing if not a frugal drunkard.

As for being fired up...Thanks for the concern, but it's not really sexual tension ( I'll keep my powder dry, so to speak, in that regard right now; mainly not to incriminate myself!) A bloke has to have some secrets too.

The default mechanism for blokes most often is to be frustrated anyway, for a variety of reasons ( not the least of which is the ''ugly stick factor'' Alan so nobly threw into the mix!).

No I merely got passionate about the panic-merchants and doom-mongers running amok around the place, and defended the team where possible.

Thanks for the tips nonetheless, including for the extra adventurous... The actual insertion of a red herring to wherever they feel it best helps their ''cause''...thanks global.

So whatever red herrings are or aren't in play , the moral of the story and what should lead us as close as possible to the point overall is.....Have fun, tread (or swim) lightly, take few prisoners, and leave as many ppl smiling as you can.

So cheers, and global, pass the chocolate cake!

^ my usual choice is jim beam...because they sponsor Manly and it's $25 a bottle here (only $9 in arizona!!!), but jim beam don't care about my efforts so wild turkey it was (last night).

I wish I could get beam green label here.

You know I never even knew Jim Beam sponsors Manly!

Not that I really need added incentive (to imbibe).

My last long-term missus was enough to drive any man to drink...Though I concede that's a two way street as well.

Just about the only area we agreed upon was in the bedroom, as it were and the red herring (or elephant in the room) was on the issue of matrimony.

I've been engaged twice now, but escaped both times, and can't see it happening now.

Although, even George Clooney is seriously on the hook now; so who really knows?

Pretty ''shore'" I've missed the boat to have any kids of my own though......And that's about enough of the nautical and fishy references for now!

They sponsor the cheer girls (I think...I'm sure they do. Need to look closer at the cheer girls outfits to make 'shore')

Well....at least there's no albatross around your neck (my last nautical reference...probably)

That's true I guess.

Can be funny how life turns out.

Live long enough and you most likely outlive your original plans at least once!

Certainly don't need another excuse to check out Manly's SeaBirds...all in the pursuit of knowledge of course (regarding Jim Beams sponsorship).
Obviously it's not a shorts sponsor.

As for me, just like old George, I may yet meet the perfect (or close to perfect) match and ''schnapper'' up.

We best not go '' overboard '' on the oceanic theme though, I suppose.

this thread is starting to get a little fishy

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6