Marquee Players and us

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
Ok so everyone loves seeing their clubs sign a big name player and we're just as guilty as everyone else is

However look at this list of names and tell me im wrong

Lyon - Our last big signing,clearly worth the cash but he wanted to be here as much as we wanted him here,he went to Wee Waa or some **** waiting for our contract and in the meantime went to St Helens and made himself some money and a big brittish following

Matai - The NRL's number 1 hitman and dummy half runner,normally a walkup start for his native NZ this bloke not only adds metres in attack but causes injuries and fear in defense,he looks like the smallest bloke on our team but hits like a truck

Brett Stewart - Prince of brookie,Mr Magic or as i call him Mr Moniker,this bloke has more names than King Georges Road has in sydney
his freakish talent is only equaled by his footballing brains and 100% effort everytime he puts on a jersey

Foran - This bloke is also a walkup start to the Kiwi team,his toughness is unrivalled and the only bloke id say was tougher was that prick from souths who broke our hearts back before i was born,his playmaking is right up there with Benji Marshell and Jonathon Thurston,he is smart,skilled tough as nails and damn near unrattleable,the best part is he started

Watmough - This guy mixes freakish body with good defense and attack only rivalled in todays game in his position by Gallen,He is a manly junior who claims to want to follow in the footsteps of Beaver Menzies,his downfall is a lack of brains in public (Not effecting us onfield) and hands that would look good on a plate insurance salesman

Kite - While current form will tell you he isnt the real thing this bloke has not only represented state and country he has won the Churchill medal in a game where anyone couldve won that on our team,personally i would have went with Ox but theres no denying he picked it up on the biggest stage of them all,if he ever finds his 07-08 brain he must take the risk and transplant that sonofabitch into his head

Hopoate - This bloke is in his 1st full year of NRL,so far he has taken a man of the match or 2 and completely dominated every seasoned bloke he has came up against,unfortunatly though he is leaving for a couple of years to save people from themselves,while you might not agree with his faith you cant fault him from wanting to save souls from fiery damnation,the same cannot be said against anyone he plays against

Cherry-Evans - The most likely successor to Jonathon Thurston in the QLD #7 and perhaps the green and gold edition,while at this current time he is by no means a marquee player just yet i am 100% confident that he will be talked about years after he retires which by the way just happens to be in about 15 years time

Tony Williams and Jamie Buhrer - One has played a couple years of bad football clearly out of position due to the nature of his hulking frame,the other is an up and comer who from what ive seen so far WILL be remembered as the bloke who outdone Beaver for our club,Tony has really went up a few gears in the pack this year and Buhrer when he has had gametime has not disapointed anyone,we were Beaverless for 2 years and along comes this bloke,the new improved Beaver,both of these blokes arent quiet here yet but i expect they will be

Cult Heroes

David Williams - Fast as lightning and twice as deadly when in freespace, Usain Bolt would be doing well to turn and chase this bastard down,his defense had the downfall of being at times to high risking a palm to the face as Inglis showed him,im sure he learnt his lessons from this,can also put a good kick infield to setup a try,has had nothing but good press for our club off the field

George Rose - While clearly not as good as the rest of these blokes previously written about he is getting there this season after a slow start,when he is on he eats more metres than he eats Big Macs,very heavy and strong,virtually unstoppable from close range

Up and Comers

Cunningham,Lussick,Oldfield,Harrison,Robinson - Where 1 door closes a foray of doors open,Harrison and Robinson havent missed a beat in the early games of their respective NRL careers while Cunningham and Lussick sit in the wings waiting for the opportunity,i havent seen much of these 2 blokes but if toyota cup is any indication Joe's retirement wont be the worst loss and sadly probably wont be sorely missed,Oldfield seems the goods and has more pace than most fulltime NRL players but still requires a few more braincells in my opinion,some of his choices this year have left a little to be desired

For the next 5-10 years i think we're good on Marquee players injury permitting,this wont be anything like the 70s,this will be in full colour high-def and alot more successful from the eyes of someone who is for the most part glass half full,however i feel even the naysayers can feel this as i surely can

We simply dont have the cap space for big name signings with this future and present in mind

Marquee players (Quality)- Check
Cult Heroes (Sellability)- Check
Future (Where we're headed)- Check

All we're missing is the cheque from a major sponsor which shouldnt be hard,we have all of this stuff in check and its not even short term,Des will play this role like anyone who can hold a controller plays a franchise on a console only longer

Yep you are right, we have alot of rep players in our side so im not surprised we have not made any big signings. If anything we are going to struggle to keep our young guys like DCE as their value is going up every week.

Hey.... not complaining.... but with all of our 'marquee' players we get few Rep positions. Ok... our halves are Qld or NZ and have a NZ in a centre but are we the only ones (the supporters or support staff/ owners) who see these players as 'top of the game' players?

Perhaps we're seeing them with a touch of bias?

I don't think DCE will play until he is 37. Buhrer is not a new and improved Beaver. New...yes, but improved no. You can't improve on perfection. While TRex is going great now it's a bit harsh to say he had a couple of bad years. He went ok and has improved every year since. It takes a couple of years to get the bad parramatta habits out you know. Bit I agree that we have enough talent without having to buy. As long as we keep Foran, DCE, Buhrer and Hoppa when he returns we can build our team around them for the next 7or 8 years.

lismore_fan said:
Hey.... not complaining.... but with all of our 'marquee' players we get few Rep positions. Ok... our halves are Qld or NZ and have a NZ in a centre but are we the only ones (the supporters or support staff/ owners) who see these players as 'top of the game' players?

Perhaps we're seeing them with a touch of bias?

It's not bias. We're coming second with half a team of young blokes. Why shouldn't we be confident this year and for coming years. We certainly don't look like going backwards!

Would you prefer us to be like Canterbury . . . buy 5-6 marquee players a year and end up an ordinary side?

No, promote from within wherever possible.

What about the guy with the greatest name in Manly?

Magnus Stromquest, someone mentioned the club is looking to sign him up long term didn't they?

eagles2win said:
What about the guy with the greatest name in Manly?

Magnus Stromquest, someone mentioned the club is looking to sign him up long term didn't they?

Stromquist is the goods but he is a while off FG I think. We've seen that even Cunningham isn't ready for FG yet. Maybe into the NSW cup next year for Magnus & hopefully Cunningham step up & earns a spot in FG.

bones said:
Jatz Crackers said:
The Gronk said:
clontaago said:
I think we need one quality short prop

I disagree. I think we need a prop short one quality.

Had to prop myself up to see that these short jokes are ones of quality.

If you were a comedian, I would buy 'front row' tickets to see you.

My stand up comedy act has been cancelled because I ran out of props.

We have a few up and comers in the front row position

Wests once won a comp with a team of centres in 05
Lightest cheapest team ever to win the comp

However they were lucky we ****ed Monaghan around
who was at the time halfback and captain of the team

We were 1st till then

Shane i am maroon as they come however you are dreaming if you think we had the quality to win in 05

05 should have been the Goons year. I remember seeing Barrett drop the ball with the line wide open in a semi. They would have won the game, eliminated Wests and gone on to beat the Cowgirls. We could not have won in 05.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7