Manly's Top Ten Recruits Ever

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
Sickens me to say it but Hasler has to be in the top ten, maybe even #1. He was a part of half of our Premiership wins.

1. Hasler
2. Lyon
3. Lyons
4. Kennedy
5. O'Neill
6. O'Connor
7. Ward
8. Ridgey
9. Kite
10. Robertson (I couldn't leave Robbo out)

Special mention must go to Aaron Moule.

And extra special mention T-Rex

COMMANDER said:
Who could forget the efforts of Shane Winters; who was signed from the APL. (Australian Penal League).
Ironicaly where Craig Field may be playing half back soon.

Brissie Kid said:
#1. Wally O'Connell. Sat out a whole season just to play & coach Manly, then got us to our first grand final. O'Connell taught Fulton who taught Hasler & Toovey.

http://soaringseaeagles.tripod.com/players/wally.htm

Far as I konw he is still alive & the club should honour him at a home game.

Yes he is - he turns 90 this year.

By far the most important was Mal Reilly, next by some distance Lurch O'Neill. Tough forwards won the premierships, especially those early ones.

1. Mal Reilly
2. John O’Neill
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Kevin Ward
5. Spud Carroll
6. Wally O’Connell
7. Ben Kennedy
8. Cliffy Lyons
9. Les Boyd
10. Ken Irvine

Lowe, Branighan, Kite, Gillespie, Roberts & Norton also stand out.

Bearfax said:
Tony Abbott's a local junior isnt he? Plays on the Right Wing I think.

Pre-emptive choice Bearfax. Currently plays for the opposition. That seems certain to change next season.

Gifted attacker, loves the biff, defence untested. Promising big things at Brookie next season, but then so did Craig Field.

Rex said:
By far the most important was Mal Reilly, next by some distance Lurch O'Neill. Tough forwards won the premierships, especially those early ones.

1. Mal Reilly
Can't argue with that either. When we had Reilly and Fulton in the same team for several years there were very few times we didn't start favourites.

Rex said:

1. Mal Reilly
2. John O’Neill
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Kevin Ward
5. Spud Carroll
6. Wally O’Connell
7. Ben Kennedy
8. Cliffy Lyons
9. Les Boyd
10. Ken Irvine

Lowe, Branighan, Kite, Gillespie, Roberts & Norton also stand out.

Bearfax said:
Tony Abbott's a local junior isnt he? Plays on the Right Wing I think.

Pre-emptive choice Bearfax. Currently plays for the opposition. That seems certain to change next season.

Gifted attacker, loves the biff, defence untested. Promising big things at Brookie next season, but then so did Craig Field.

This is getting closer now.

Fulton came up from Wollongong and Eadie from Woy Woy or are we not looking at players who started their first grade career elsewhere.

And then in Manly's early days Johnny Bliss from Norths, Schubert from Easts, Mossop from Manly Union, Wally O'Connell from Easts, Ron Rowles from the country, Ken Day, Mick Veivers and John McDonald from Queensland, Dennis Ward from Newcastle, Kevin Junee and Johnny Mayes from Easts, Les Hanigan from the country, Michael O'Connor from St George....the list goes on

Bearfax said:
Fulton came up from Wollongong and Eadie from Woy Woy or are we not looking at players who started their first grade career elsewhere.

And then in Manly's early days Johnny Bliss from Norths, Schubert from Easts, Mossop from Manly Union, Wally O'Connell from Easts, Ron Rowles from the country, Ken Day, Mick Veivers and John McDonald from Queensland, Dennis Ward from Newcastle, Kevin Junee and Johnny Mayes from Easts, Les Hanigan from the country, Michael O'Connor from St George....the list goes on

and almost forgot the Menzies like Phil Lowe from Brit.

I think Ray Branighan was definitely one of the best, was there for the 4 premierships in the 70's, a fantastic utility player, came over from Souths the same time as John O'Neill.

Eric Galt said:
I think Ray Branighan was definitely one of the best, was there for the 4 premierships in the 70's, a fantastic utility player, came over from Souths the same time as John O'Neill.

Yep and also Moses. Then in the 80s there was Boyd, Brown and Dorahy from Wests and Mitchell Cox and someone called Lyons from Norths.

Bearfax said:

Agree Bozo and Wombat are obvious inclusions except for the criteria in the first post:

"have played 1st Grade at another club, or come from overseas, or from another code (union basically)"

and Kimmorley?

Rex said:
Bearfax said:

Agree Bozo and Wombat are obvious inclusions except for the criteria in the first post:

"have played 1st Grade at another club, or come from overseas, or from another code (union basically)"

Point take. I was just being lazy and not reading all the preceding comments.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8