'Manly's not in top bracket' Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
By James Phelps

May 24, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23749747-5001023,00.html

MANLY skipper Matt Orford accused the Sea Eagles of "self-destructing" during last night's shock loss to the Dragons, before warning: "We are not one of the top teams".

The Sea Eagles' halfback opened up on his team after the Dragons stole an unlikely 20-18 victory at Brookvale Oval.

"We can't put ourselves on a pedestal," Orford said.

"We are not one of the top teams and we have a long way to go. We are all filthy on ourselves, the way we performed tonight. We showed no discipline and respect for the ball.

"It was just a very disappointing night. No one stuck their hand up."

In a game riddled with errors, Orford said the Sea Eagles failed to build pressure and stick to coach Des Hasler's game plan.

"We forced things," Orford said. "We had to build more pressure and spend time down their end, but we didn't. We just can't complete this year. We come up with stupid errors around the play-the-ball and give away possession - but that is not taking away anything from the Dragons.

"They came here and stuck to their game plan and we just self-destructed."

An irate Hasler was equally scathing, accusing his team of "taking the foot off the throat".

"All the stats pointed our way," Hasler said.

"We just overplayed our hand and weren't patient. We bombed tries and they kept on coming. The disappointing thing is we had the game in control and still managed to lose it. We need to regroup.

"I told the players at the game how hard two points are to get. We gave two points away today."

Manly full-back Brett Stewart was adamant he scored what could have been the match-winner late in the game. Video referee Phil Cooley ruled Stewart failed to ground the ball.

Maybe he should look at his stupid long passes that don't reach the mark,& ridiculous no influence bombs that lead to nothing before commenting.

Berkeley_Eagle link said:
Manly full-back Brett Stewart was adamant he scored what could have been the match-winner late in the game. Video referee Phil Cooley ruled Stewart failed to ground the ball.

Left hand on the ball.  TWO woeful decisions from the curry muncher.

everything he said was pretty true, the problem is most of it is his problems and he is blaming the rest of the team.

****ing overpaid tool

Go learn to pass to a person rather than the grass

Jeez Fluffy - I'd hate to see us without Orford at the moment. Your being pretty harsh mate ! His goal kicking also kept us in it.

Ryan, you must admit that at the moment Ox is just not delivering on the paddock.  Sure his goal kicking kept us in it up to a point and his kick to Robbo was excellent.  But overall his general play is a bit shaky.  On his point that the 'team' played poorly, I agree, but only if he makes himself an important part of the said 'team'.  We should have won that one and the management certainly needs to fire in a protest at the way the officials robbed us of the Stewart try and thus the two points.     

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
Maybe he should look at his stupid long passes that don't reach the mark,& ridiculous no influence bombs that lead to nothing before commenting.

Those "stupid" passes have set up a few tries this year. Was one of those "no influence" bombs one that Robbo scored off ?

DSM, Orford has been great the past 6 weeks, he has only played 1 bad game, tonight, and it wasn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be

His worst decision tonight was turning down the 2 points

Orford was somewhat hot and cold but I think he has played well this year. Obviously those who pick the Dally M points have no idea as he is in front. He is not the Messiah - I don't think the Beaver/Lyon switch due to Bell being out helped and the critical miss of Morris in the last try was vital. That tackle made (misunderstanding between Ox and Lyon) and we win that game.

After watching the replay he was our worst offender for all those points he is blaming his team mates for.

He is the captain, playmaker and highest paid player at the club. Take some responsibility for your own actions before coming out and publicly bagging your team mates.

KE i was talking about the one that robbo knocked on and the bombs that went dead in goal without any pressure. Trying the hero play instead of going for a repeat set when we were down 14 - 12, attacking inside the saints 20 through such wonderful repeated plays as a telegraphed ball to a forward running 1 up. Sure he did a couple of good things but seriously do you think i thought they were stupid?

Orford was poor, not alone but i havnt seen other player coming out and bagging their captain, maybe they should.

Had Cliffy Lyons been on the field he would have straightened up the attack within 30 minutes and we would have run riot. 

Orford didn't and kept going wide with long spirals. 

Just spoke to an ex manly winger, he said the club (Des) is not happy with the teams attitude before the game.  There was a lot of laughing and joking in the warm up and it was evident before a ball was kicked that we were in trouble last night.  A lot of over confidence which is in line with what Ox is saying above.

Orford has been better lately. his kick over the sideline reminded me of Monaghan during his '****house' period though. I dunno, he can't do much more than he's doing at the moment. I don't think Beaver did much at 5/8, I hate to say it but I'd rather Lyon there at the moment.

Orford cant do much more than lead the Dally M's at this point of the season.
The Dragons were lucky last night;2 tries from bombs,and our ball handling was disgraceful again;the real killer came when Watmough dropped that ball with 4 minutes to go that lead to the Dragons winning try.

forgetting the dragons dropping the pill in every attacking raid for about 20 minutes straight.

They were ordinary as well

Orford's long kicking game is crap - but he stepped up against the Broncos, his goal-kicking has improved and in general he is playing better than he has for ages.

Ch 9 gave Justin Poore MOTM and he was worth at least 8 points to them. The Dragons were a rabble and he was the difference, and how we didn't put them to the sword shows how complacent we were.

I'm with Mata, I did a slow-mo on Snake's no-try and would have given it BOTD. His left hand was clearly on the ball and pushing it into the turf. Like Cletus said, I would have swapped Lyon with Beaver - Beaver would have tackled the crap out of their centres and Lyon would havce seen more ball and done the running.

Our props were far less damaging last night and even Glenn's form has dropped off. If we had dominated there we would have won easily. All up it wasn't the worst I have seen but we should have won that game and no surprise to see Dessie absolutely give it to them after the game.

Matabele link said:
Had Cliffy Lyons been on the field he would have straightened up the attack within 30 minutes and we would have run riot. 

Orford didn't and kept going wide with long spirals. 

Spot on.

Was a bit like last week.. until we started taking it through the middle after half time and murdered them. This time... we kept going wide..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4