Manly's most obscure games/opponents since 1947

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was at the Adelaide vs Manly game at Hindmarsh Stadium in 1998. Unfortunately as it stands that was the last Manly game I have been able to attend.

At least I can say I saw Beaver score a hat trick though for that's what he did that night. We beat the Rams 32-10 in front of the highest attendance the Rams had in their 4 games at Hindmarsh after basically getting kicked out of the Adelaide Oval by the South Australian Cricket Association for non-payment of rent. 7,459 was the attendance that night.

I was at the Adelaide vs Manly game at Hindmarsh Stadium in 1998. Unfortunately as it stands that was the last Manly game I have been able to attend.

At least I can say I saw Beaver score a hat trick though for that's what he did that night. We beat the Rams 32-10 in front of the highest attendance the Rams had in their 4 games at Hindmarsh after basically getting kicked out of the Adelaide Oval by the South Australian Cricket Association for non-payment of rent. 7,459 was the attendance that night.

You win! There can't be too many Manly fans who have that game on their record!

I don't know how legit it was. Played in November. Had something to do with Roosters sponsor. Game wasn't on Aust tv or anything.
Interesting post Brissie kid and i am also struggling to recall that Tokyo end of season game in 1996 . But Yeh some really meticulous and impressive work by you with this post .

What about games against ‘Sydney city’ and ‘Sydney Bulldogs’ (is that what they called themselves, or was it just The Bulldogs?)

What about games against ‘Sydney city’ and ‘Sydney Bulldogs’ (is that what they called themselves, or was it just The Bulldogs?)

Ignore them and hope they go away! The 1995 grand final was 'won' by the Sydney Bulldogs, but Canterbury count it as one of theirs and the NRL let them.

Balmain ran the 'Sydney Tigers' franchise in 95 & 96 and those games are now counted as Balmain.

Same with the Rorters and their various names.

This also says the Dogs club was just 'Bulldogs' from 2000 to 2009. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Wikipedia

Between 1999 and 2002 Cronulla were also just 'Sharks' NRL club. Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks - Wikipedia

Lets not even talk about the 'Dragons' since the merger being treated by the NRL as continuation of the St George club history and stats.

The NRL meanwhile refused to let Manly count the 2002 Northern Eagles season which was owned solely by Manly. The 2002 Northern Eagles are no different to what the Dogs, Balmain and Sharks have done and been allowed to count. But Manly aren't allowed to count 2002 according to the NRL.

All of this robs Beaver of 22 appearances in Manly games in 2002. His tally is given by the NRL as 280 instead of 302, behind Cliffy Lyons on 309. It means Beaver doesn't even appear in the list of most games for one club, when he should be above Minichello, Mannering and Ricketson. List of National Rugby League records - Wikipedia

Beaver also has 11 tries from 2002 not credited to him as for Manly. Add those and he would have held the club record at 162 tries much longer until Snake broke it to get 163 tries for Manly.

Last edited:
Highlights from a Brookie game in 1982 vs Rorters. Freddie Jones takes the ceremonial kickoff (whatever happened to those things?). Phil Blake's debut game (from the bench). Watch the last few minutes as Brookie & Rex go off as Manly cross in the corner for a 20-19 win.

Great crowd that day, Hill is a lot bigger those days compared to now

Highlights from a Brookie game in 1982 vs Rorters. Freddie Jones takes the ceremonial kickoff (whatever happened to those things?). Phil Blake's debut game (from the bench). Watch the last few minutes as Brookie & Rex go off as Manly cross in the corner for a 20-19 win.

Seems so wrong seeing Noel Cleal in an Easts jersey.

Its interesting reading league stories in the old Sydney newspapers at Newspapers - Advanced Search

Tonight I learned that in the late 1930s attempts were made to form a Parramatta club. The NSWRL rejected this. They instead preferred to relocate Wests to Parramatta as it was the biggest population centre and was rapidly growing. The newly started Canterbury club had also taken large chunks of Wests area. So the NSWRL told Wests that they had to move for 1940 to base their club HQ & training at Parramatta and start playing some games there too.

Wests officials said all their players and fans were at Ashfield and the club seems to have done little to comply with the NSWRL. They said even Lidcombe Oval was too far west for them and too far to walk from the station. Wests played two home games at Cumberland Oval in 1940 but got ordinary crowds. The rest of the season was at Pratten Park in Ashfield. With WW2 going on the NSWRL gave up in 1941 pushing Wests to become a Parramatta team.

Not a dissimilar story to the way the NRL made Manly turn out as the Gosford based Northern Eagles in 2002. That failed too!

Manly v Maitland Feb 1982 (trial)
EPSON156.JPG

My first ever Manly game was a trial in Orange against Orange United (now Orange Hawks). I’d be guessing at the year as I was only young but I think I was about 7 so that would make it 1984 or thereabouts. Somehow, the jersey’s missed the bus so they borrowed jersey’s from a local Rugby club, Orange Emus, who play in Randwick-style green jerseys. I remember they won easily but don’t remember the score. I remember Dad talking to a bloke who’s brother was set to mark Crusher in the centers and he said his brother had been ****ting himself all week.

Mal Reilly & Graham Eadie in the Manly v Western Division game at Orange.

1ce82e32e124adc6c9c2912cc7877a4d

3f6c507831e272b02740a8aa182480f7

THIS is THE jersey that should be worn forever!! Other jerseys are ok for special events but this one should be THE one.

We really need the one jersey to become synonymous with our great club. The one that makes all other supporters/teams sh#t themselves when they see it!

My first ever Manly game was a trial in Orange against Orange United (now Orange Hawks). I’d be guessing at the year as I was only young but I think I was about 7 so that would make it 1984 or thereabouts. Somehow, the jersey’s missed the bus so they borrowed jersey’s from a local Rugby club, Orange Emus, who play in Randwick-style green jerseys. I remember they won easily but don’t remember the score. I remember Dad talking to a bloke who’s brother was set to mark Crusher in the centers and he said his brother had been ****ting himself all week.

Good story! Seems it was 1986.
Times Sport - IN BRIEF Tense tennis in umpires' finals - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995) - 17 Mar 1986
Manly's try fest
ORANGE: Manly cruised to an easy 60-0 victory over Orange United yesterday in a trial
match organised to give the Sea Eagles a workout during their bye in the Sydney competition.
More than 1,000 spectators gathered at Norton Park to watch the teams play in hot and windy
conditions which were not conducive to good football.
Players to stand out for Manly were Phil Blake, Noel Cleal, Ron Gibbs and Dale Shearer.

THIS is THE jersey that should be worn forever!! Other jerseys are ok for special events but this one should be THE one.

We really need the one jersey to become synonymous with our great club. The one that makes all other supporters/teams sh#t themselves when they see it!

100! Plus white shorts! The 2011 jersey shows it can be done even with a sponsor. Just get rid of the white side panels and continue stripes around the back..
maxresdefault.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4