Manly's Cap Investigations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man

Well - there you have it folks. In the news section. And they say whilst Schubert has had a preliminary look & found nothing at all untoward, there is now currently being a FULL audit of our salary cap utilisation.

Now can you guys see where I'm coming from when I post our teams against others.

I think most were HORRIFIED when comparing ourselves to Parramatta - and my point was proven, in that it is ludicrous how many qualified 1st graders they having running around in reggies (Daniel Wagon, Moi Moi etc.)

I also did it with Brisbane, and it further backed up my point.

I could go ahead, and do it with The Roosters, The Bulldogs, The Dragons etc, but there's no point anymore.

There are obviously one of two facts evident:-

01. We are not getting value for money, and those involved should be held accountable;
02. We would STILL have sufficient funds left to purchase other players throughout the off season.

I cannot believe the claims by some of what we are actually paying these no talent players like Cleal.

You make valid points Ryan - I think Point 1 could be on the mark.

I honestly can't see how our financial position had declined to such a bad position. I personally think our bargainning power is as solid as The Rabbits - well maybe not THAT bad yet, but possibly The Storm.

My only hope GOING FORWARD, is that the nucleus players:- Matt Orford, Steven Bell, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough, Steve Menzies & Ben Kennedy can attract the top young players out in the country & other districts.

I hate to say this, but ruthlessness with team selections need to be made. Jason King & Michael Monaghan should have to play their way back into the team next year I am of the opinion. WHO cares what they are being paid. Do you think Fulton in his time would put up with any of this effort except for his son's? Their replacements could - nay - SHOULD be Mark Bryant (who adds a hell of a lot more value than King), and Matt Ballin next year (who has the ability to pass either side of the ruck without a swivel in between).

I would also like to add that we have LOST depth next year.

If by signing Kane Cleal on a $100k per season contract, then I say Noel isn't the man for the job. Again, in my opinion, Noel's main priority is to add layers / depth to our club. The players he has bought in:-

Alberts / Cleal / Witt have languished in Premier League after being given chances in 1st grade.

This will be year 3, & I demand Noels next Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Jamie Lyon, Tim Smith etc etc...

sour grapes from the storm ! please tell me how they were going to stay under the cap when they have the likes of slater, inglis, hill, king, smith & geyer in their ranks.

It's a pointless exercise trying to guess (and that's all it is) what players are being paid. I doubt that any club would risk breaching the salary cap these days as it is so tightly policed. What a player may be worth on the open market (according to speculation in the media, mainly) and what they are actually getting paid are two different things.

Your point about value for money may have some validity to it.

The results are good for us, apparently its near impossible to be found out as the auditors cannot see ATO records and bank accounts details (I think).

dont all teams have a salary cap audit each year? i see no problem with us being investigated. I have no doubt the Roosters/Bulldogs and every other team will also be investigated. Every year there seems to be clubs fined for minor breaches so they are not just picking on us.

Garts - I guess my main point is that we are paying ridiculous sums of money for players who just aren't to the standard they believe they are:-

Michael Monaghan AINT a $240k per year player;
Kane Cleal AINT a $100k per year player;
Jason King AINT a $200k plus per year player.

It's this kind of accounting that ruins depth throughout a club.

Some VERY POOR decisions have been made, and like they said in the telegraph, it is now being noticed by the coaching staff.

Ryan most of your figures are based on speculation and estimates. Although i believe Monas is on the money mentioned and so would King, especially with all the talk of him being the next big thing when re-signed.

I will not believe Cleal is getting $100k a season.

Do you believe everything written in the telegraph?

Cleal re signed last week, this amount came direct from a Channel 9 commentator at last Sundays game.

I just can't fathom how these three players will take up 16.36% of our whole teams salaryu cap!!

If Monnas is playing Hooker - he's earning more than the current Australian Hooker Buderus!!! That's just ludicrous !!!

That does not mean it is correct so I still dont believe it.

If it is I have no faith in our Mngt for allowing it to happen. As that is approaching the average wage for a 1st grade squad member and he is not your average 1st grader.

Wht don't you believe Garts - it is the same club that paid Scott Fulton hundreds of thousands of dollars for basically nothing.

At Manly - it's WHO you know - not how you play !!!

Chad Randall being the exception.

Wht don't you believe Garts - it is the same club that paid Scott Fulton hundreds of thousands of dollars for basically nothing.

I dont believe all that is said in the media.

was that during the mid 90's Fulton was paid huge sums of money? If so that was the norm as it was during the super league war. I was in year 11 at school then and a school mate was getting $60k whilst playing sg ball or whatever the level was back then. Those times are long gone.

orfords contract has been registered with nrl - at worst we are found out for $100k 3rd party arrangement - the storm have been caught on this breach for about 3 yrs running - find it ironic they are calling foul over manly and salary cap when they are probably the 2nd best at cheating it behind the dogs.

anyway a 100k 3rd party deal only a small fine and slap on the wrists if found to be the case

[quote author=The Wheel]

I dont believe all that is said in the media.

was that during the mid 90's Fulton was paid huge sums of money? If so that was the norm as it was during the super league war. I was in year 11 at school then and a school mate was getting $60k whilst playing sg ball or whatever the level was back then. Those times are long gone.

[/quote]

Is there a salary cap for ball and Flegg players?

If not then I suggest that Parramatta and the Roosters would be paying some of their junior players $60k pa.

So...
1. Orfords contract was scrutinised: We knew that was going to happen.
2. There will be an audit at the end of the season: Every club has has one at the end of the season, that's why Ian Schubert is employed and that is why some teams get a slap on the wrist every year for some type of breach.

After all your bleating about Manly being unfairly targeted, I don't see anything unfair about this, Ryan. You seem to have changed your slant on things though by saying the cap isn't being utilised properly, you could have a point, I don't know their cap position for next year.

Maybe a new section should be started, YARSCA (Yet Another Ryan Salary Cap Analysis). :p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4