Manlys best ever tackler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
young Jake has had me thinking about this with his no nonsense defence.
It has a touch of old school style with copybook technique that stops even the best attacking players in their tracks.
There's been some great tacklers at Manly including Terry Randall, Ronnie Gibbs, Tooves & for a fullback Matt Ridge deserves a mention.
Do you rate Jake up with these legends & who else is in the best ever Manly defenders?

Igor, cut them in half, one on one and watched them twitch :devil:

Beaver is the last player who took their legs out, one on one.
The biggest cheer in the 2008 GF after Beaver's try, was for Beaver cutting Slater's legs off in the 79th minute. Classic footy tackle :clap:

I hate the 3 man wrestle dance that waits for a Ref to call 'held' :mad:

Jake is consistent but not great - yet :)

Igor was brutal and hit with great timing - not many better than he.

Beaver had great technique (not sure it'd pay dividends these days as there is no reward for classic tackling technique in the modern game)

I worry about Jake's technique and the likelihood of more head knocks. He targets that mid section nicely and with good shoulder drive, but you do leave yourself open to the odd stray hip.

I disagree. Randall was a brutal tackler, probably the best at hurting opposition players.
But, having watched Manly for 55 years, imo the three best tacklers from a techniques perspective (ie. bootlace) were:
Ian Martin
Alan Thompson, and
Beaver
Sadly, today's tacklers are taught to wrap up the ball so copybook bootlace tacklers are rare.

And then there's our rock solid last lines of defence, Wombat and Snake - bit of a theme there!

That Brett Kimmorley was a total cat - but could pull off a hit!

giphy.gif

Igor
Beaver
Cement
Jake T
Craig Innes
Rambo

....and for pure hits (apart from the above):
Matai
Haumono

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts