/Manly - What to do with the North Shore

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=9543940&postcount=22

The area is stuck in limbo, which has done huge amounts of damage to RL in the area. Sorry to say CC Bears fans, but I highly doubt the Bears will be considered in the next expansion wave. Especially not when the CEO has said publicly he'd like to see the game have more of a national footprint.

That's not to say the CC will never get in, but if it's another 10 years before that eventuates, and the Bears continue to hold onto the North Shore, it'll do ridiculous damage to RL's presence on the North Shore.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=9544205&postcount=24

Mate, it's already been done. I live in Pymble - you can't really get more North Shore than that and Rugby League in junior form is pretty much non existant.

Soccer, AFL, Rugby Union and cricket all have a presence but League is nowhere to be found until you get to Belrose which is officially part of the Northern Beaches and not the North Shore.

The Central Coast Bears have done bits and pieces with the local Public Schools but that was a few years ago now. Without funding the CC Bears are going to struggle to do anything in the area.

I can see why the Bears don't want Manly promoting themselves in the area, but they really shouldn't have a choice. If you walk around the schools the one thing "League" you do see is kids in Manly gear. The kids have voted with their feet and have started following Manly. The Bears have been gone too long to get kids to support them. Manly should be given the opportunity to develop the area under the understanding that if the Bears ever come back in the area will revert to Norths.

Manly would then need to take a risk on the area - one which I think is well worth their taking.

The other aspect of this is the death of junior clubs in the North Shore Area after the Bears demise - as noted in Brissie Kids post.

I'd imagine if Manly took over the area many of these clubs would resurface or new ones would appear.

I've been a Manly supporter for most of my life, but have lived on the North Shore for almost as long. You are right about Bears fans. I have several who still blame Manly for their demise. But equally when I go to the North Sydney Leagues Club or other northside venues to watch Manly play on Fox there are plenty of Manly supporters.
Gaining the whole North Shore would be a benefit for Manly for both juniors and increasing membership. One thing we need on the northside is a quality stadium that the NRL deems worthy of hosting finals. It's a disgrace that this vast region of Sydney is so poorly off for grounds and junior RL teams.

Well folks, 2011 was the last time anything 'Manly' appeared on the hats. Since then it's just been the eagle.

So something's underway.

Come on Manly do something.
Look at this - Last year Norths had Matt King come out and do stuff with the kids and all they got was kicking tee's, a shirt and a ball.
Meanwhile Manly had a big chunk of the NRL team rock up for clubs meanwhile we could offer them a junior membership (parents would probably sign up) footy, tee, kicking tee, etc .

It's primed for the taking. The Foz's rock up to a Northern Shore Club be it Asquith, Berowra, or even Lane Cove etc. wham bang thank you maam more members.

Why is anyone listening to what the Bears or Florimo have to say? We did well to remove ourselves from the stain of the Northern Eagles and we are well within our rights to promote and grow the game north of the harbour bridge.

Where's your team Flo?

At the moment we should be the team for Hornsby,to our current district to about Blue haven,Newcastle taking the rest of the coast from there to GC

Before I left for New York I heard from a very high ranking official from Warringah Council who said the day the Sea Eagles are removed from Brookvale Oval will be a great day indeed for the local community.

Go figure.

The Warringah Sea Eagles never really did catch on.

It is funny the team's home is in Warringah council's area but by virtue of the team's name it is Manly council that gets all the free publicity everytime "Manly" is mentioned in the media and seen on tv. Not often you hear "Manly Warringah" any more.

Brissie Kid said:
The Warringah Sea Eagles never really did catch on.

It is funny the team's home is in Warringah council's area but by virtue of the team's name it is Manly council that gets all the free publicity everytime "Manly" is mentioned in the media and seen on tv. Not often you hear "Manly Warringah" any more.

True. All the English backpackers would surely come to Brookvale rather than Manly if we were called the Brookvale Sea Eagles. Imagine all that lost tourist revenue the Warringah area is missing out on! :p

North Sydney and their fans are irrelevant from an NRL perspective as they don't, and will never, have a team from the area in the NRL competition.

When they did have a team in the comp - they were still f***ing irrelevant.

The Who said:
I've been a Manly supporter for most of my life, but have lived on the North Shore for almost as long. You are right about Bears fans. I have several who still blame Manly for their demise. But equally when I go to the North Sydney Leagues Club or other northside venues to watch Manly play on Fox there are plenty of Manly supporters.

And for that we should be proud. :D

Manly and Warringah Councils will modt likely be one entity within 5 years.

Not sure if this will be good or bad for the Sea Eagles.

Maybe pittwater too bob, I think a good thing. Manly and pittwater councils are far better run than warringah. Warringah has been a basket case for 40 years, the council being sacked 3 times over that period. Arko's sister jean hay is the long time mayor of manly.

For me the issue about the Sea Eagles taking over the Sydney north shore, is that its better for the future of the game as a whole. Without a recognised side representing the north shore, it disenfranchises a large section of Sydney from Rugby League and make it easy meat for Rugby Union and other codes.

But I am also a strong supporter of either the Bears or some other team taking over the Central Coast, and I think League is making a huge error ignoring this area. That's not to say they should also hold Sydney North Shore. Its logical that the cut off point should be The Hawkesbury. But the question of a Central Coast side, and soon, should not have to be even debated. Consider that the population of the NSW Central Coast is near 350,000 people. That's bigger than Wollongong and not much smaller than Canberra-Queanbeyan. Its a major population centre and its growing quite fast. If League doesnt get a foothold in there soon. Union, Oz Rules and soccer will dominate the schools and we will have lost a major League stronghold.

I understand the problems of John Singleton having any involvement in running a league club after the Newtown debacle. But the League MUST include NSW Central Coast asap, or go backwards in developing the game.

Newcastle should be in the Central Coast. They all jumped on board the Knights in 1997.

If the Illawarra couldn't sustain a NRL club & Canberra aren't exactly going that well, can't see how CC could ever be seen as good move by the NRL.

No need for Bears I'm sorry.

Thing is Newcastle arent that much bigger population wise than Central Coast and can there be justification for having one team supported by near a million inhabitants. We're already questioning Brisbane's one team arrangement and looking to add at least one and maybe two teams there and they have only a little over 2 million people. Sydney has eight Sydney only sides if you dont count St George Illawarra and they cater for 4,500,000 people averaging out at just over 500,000 each. Seems to me that central Coast's claim is quite justified. The issue isnt crowds or even juniors (as Sydney City shows) but cash and corporate support. They seem to have that in loads on the CC.

bob dylan said:
Manly and Warringah Councils will modt likely be one entity within 5 years.

Not sure if this will be good or bad for the Sea Eagles.

I could see a good result for a consolidated local government entity. For a start, it would dilute the NIMBY Warringah elements around the Sea Eagles @ Brookvale, and see more widespread support out of the peninsula for establishing our future there.

Bearfax said:
Thing is Newcastle arent that much bigger population wise than Central Coast and can there be justification for having one team supported by near a million inhabitants. We're already questioning Brisbane's one team arrangement and looking to add at least one and maybe two teams there and they have only a little over 2 million people. Sydney has eight Sydney only sides if you dont count St George Illawarra and they cater for 4,500,000 people averaging out at just over 500,000 each. Seems to me that central Coast's claim is quite justified. The issue isnt crowds or even juniors (as Sydney City shows) but cash and corporate support. They seem to have that in loads on the CC.

Central Coast claim IS justified, just as the claim from Perth, Central QLD, another Brisbane side and another NZ side.
What is NOT in the Central Coast favour is that the ARLC wants the competition to be perceived as a national competition, and another CC team will be perceived as another Sydney/ NSW team, so it won't happen.

One of the big issues facing Rugby League is the size of a national (or International) competition. The game I believe has enough support to justify at least 20 teams. Now there are many who would say that we dont have the player strength or the money to support such a large comp. I say rubbish. In 1996-7 there were 22 teams and each was beginning to develop its own supporter base

I can understand why there should be no more sides in the Sydney basin. There are possibly one or two too many. But outside of Sydney there's a wealth of opportunity, and that includes the Central Coast because most will be one city teams. One city teams have the advantage of much better corporate support if they maintain some success because it enhances the awareness of local large businesses.

As the game progresses big business people such as Tinkler, will increasingly want their name and businesses enhanced. What better way especially in Australia, which is sport mad, to do it through a successful football code. But it must be a code that is seen as national-international and considered a successful entity. You only get that through aggressive expansion which therefore eventually causes more people to play and watch the game.

GWS Oz Rules side in Western Sydney is so far considered a white elephant. We are fools if we laugh at it because within a decade it will be a major team and support through spectators and corporate dollars will flow in. But it must be seen as successful. And it will because it is stationed in an area where there are a lot of poorer people, whose children will see another opportunity to escape that world. Oz Rules is playing it clever by getting it into the local schools and pouring money into the local communities. RL has much to learn from Oz Rules.

Melbourne Rugby League may not be considered to be making much of a dent a dent in Oz Rules heartland, but look below at the junior codes and it is expanding so that locals are now getting into grade. These things can take decades to catch on, usually at least a generation> but you must be there for that growing interest in the next generation.

I'm a strong believer that the success of a code depends on how expansive your thinking. Put a team in Perth, and kids locally will start to play more League and new corporate entities will become interested and invest money. I'm a strong supporter of a Port Morseby side. The country has 6 million people, more than New Zealand or Sydney by a long shot, and Rugby League is their national sport. Have a team stationed there with improved coaching and administration, and the players will flock as well as the increasing corporate dollars. With huge impoverished areas, there will be kids galore trying to make their name and wealth to escape poverty, and with Chinese money flooding into the country because of mining, the country is destined to increase dramatically in wealth in the next few decades.

In my mind you expand in sport or you die. There's a struggle at first, probably for two decades (a generation), but the talent is there (we send so many to SuperLeague every year alone) and improving access to New Zealanders, Tongans, Samoans and Fijians will also dramatically improve player depth. Money follows success. And the Central Coast is no more Sydney than Wollongong is, and they are about the same distance from the Sydney environs. They would become a one area team, and I suspect thrive.

None of which addresses or conflicts with the continued slide of interest in RL in Sydney's northern suburbs while the Bears continue to stand in Manly's way.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2