Post-Game Discussion Manly v Tigers [Round 19, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Wests Tigers
44 Suncorp Stadium
24 Jul 2021 17:30
80th minute

Match Stats

One of those token Queensland-based Queenslanders sucking up oxygen in Australian sides pre-SOO.

And more than a few post-SOO. Rohan Hancock and Greg Conescu come to mind.
Yes not sure he was Australian worthy. Hancock - one tough hombre but yes agreed. Conescu - I knew a bit more seeing he came over to Redcliffe when I was there - super tough - no nonsense hooker with a bit of craftiness/skill but yes compare him to say a Ray Brown - no comparison.

Concerning the number of times they caught us short out wide. We were a little switched off in defence. Melbourne would have put 50 on us. Glad we got the win.
Not the way they played against the cows they wouldn’t. I think it’s getting tough for the better teams to get up for these types of games at the moment. Look at the performances this week of us, Penrith and Melb. Even to a lesser extent Parra.

I agree that Manly could have been better but I guess we can't win every game by 50 points. They were a little bit off in attack. Bombed tries. And loose in defence. Let in too many. But they still won 8 tries to 4. Still a lot of work to do to be real contenders.
Go Manly!
Thank you Morgan Harper for your happiness after your hattrick.

They were allowed to lay all over us and slow the play the ball down. We were clunky and were not clinical. Most concerning was our defence. Work to be done before the Sharks next week.

Good point. I think in the Manly team after being tackled only Parker and Schuster seem to agitate to milk a six again call or creep forward to take the markers out of play. Almost all of the Tigers do it. The Eels, Titans and Storm all do it nearly every tackle. To Manly's credit they play more like a traditional footy team than these other 2021 teams full of milkers, but thanks NRL that's the game you''ve made.

Nice touch to see Manly players clapping the Broncos onto the field last night.

I don't know if it was spontaneous or planned, but would be a smart move heading into the finals if they are to be played in QLD. Show respect to the QLD teams and their fans may just adopt Manly at Suncorp or Townsville and give us a home fans advantage.

Nice touch to see Manly players clapping the Broncos onto the field last night.

I don't know if it was spontaneous or planned, but would be a smart move heading into the finals if they are to be played in QLD. Show respect to the QLD teams and their fans may just adopt Manly at Suncorp or Townsville and give us a home fans advantage.
Saw that , a nice touch.

First time I’ve seen that at NRL level.

Of course happens all the time in junior footy.

Maybe the lacklustre performances of some of the top teams this round can be attributed to not yet adjusting to their new environments - five star resorts designed for luxury holidays! Last week, Josh Schuster posted a clip on Instagram showing our players relaxing in a garden area with a waiter serving them drinks (presumably non alcoholic) - very laid back. Unfortunately, the clip didn't display when I tried posting it here.

I got a sense that Manly didn't enter the game with quite the right mindset, especially after they scored an easy early try. From then on, the attitude was a bit cavalier. For example @ 23 minute mark, DCE chipped ahead on the first or second tackle after a set restart. It wasn't successful with the Tigers regaining the ball. At the time, Turbo was dismayed, saying something like 'why did you do that?' or 'what a dumb play'. I was also thinking it would have been a better tactic for DCE to hold on to the ball. We could have scored in that set or else forced a line drop out. However, the pressure was released for the Tigers & they scored in the next couple of sets.

Manly had many unforced errors and finished with just a 68% completion rate. They still managed to score eight tries. However, most of the tries by both sides were soft with poor defence being the standout feature. I thought our best try was scored by Croker after Saab regained a high kick from DCE. Also, the try when Schuster stepped inside, broke the line & passed to DCE was almost an exact replica of the Schuster-DCE try in Rd 7 v Tigers.

I think another factor in Manly's uneven performance was the non rotation of middle forwards. I am not sure how many minutes Sipley played & Keppie was introduced after 70 minutes. I guess the ploy was to build Aloiai's match fitness. Unless Aloiai produces good form in the coming weeks (after his likely suspension), I personally wouldn't have him in the the top 17. Also, I hope Jack doesn't end up in the top 17. If another back rower is needed, I would prefer Ben (more upside). Parker was effective in attack yesterday off some good passes from Turbo. With the same room to move, I think Walker at left centre would have been much more dangerous (ongoing attack v defence discussion @:))

For the Tigers, Brooks' kicking & running game was slick. Doueihi had a big impact - dangerous in attack & determined in defence. Perhaps because of his height, he reminds me of Turbo in the way he constantly tries to inject himself and dominate in games. I think he'd be an ideal no. 14 for the Blues in coming seasons.

Last edited:
SET RESTARTS

1st Half:

The Time Figures in Brackets = Approximate Time Left on Clock for the half when the Set Restart occurred.

Manly: 4 - Tackle Number: 1 (38:50 - Ruck Infringement [Pauga]), 2 (22:31 - FOX: Inside 10m / NRL.com: Ruck Infringement [Leilua]), 0 (5:31 - Inside 10m [Utoikamanu]), 2 (0:18 - Ruck Infringement [Simpkins]).
Tigers 2 - Tackle Number: 1 (37:26 - FOX: Inside 10m / NRL.com: Ruck Infringement [Schuster]), 1 (7:22 - Ruck Infringement [Walker]).

2nd Half:
The Time Figures in Brackets = Approximate Time Left on Clock for the half when the Set Restart occurred.

Manly: 2 - Tackle Number: 2 (24:08 - Inside 10m [Ofahengaue]), 0 (28:49 - Ruck Infringement [Liddle]).
Tigers 2 - Tackle Number: 2 (39:05 - Ruck Infringement [Aloiai]), 2 (16:10 - Inside 10m [Cherry-Evans]).

GAME TOTAL:

Manly: 6
Tigers 4

From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Manly: 44
Tigers: 24

223717854_10159241345885993_3119988474558331020_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Full Match Replay Link:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips: TBA

Press Print & Video Articles:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your great contribution to our great forum @Jethro . Great work feathered friend

PlayerJosh Aloiai
ClubSea Eagles
Minute of match31st
Charge/incidentDangerous contact - Other
Charge grade2
7yrs incident free for discount?No
Base penalty for charge200
Prior similar offences in last 2 years (50% loading)0
Prior non-similar offences in last 2 years (20% loading)0
Carry-over points0
Early plea points150
Guilty at panel points200