Post-Game Discussion Manly v Storm [Round 16, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Storm
36 4 Pines Park
30 Jun 2022 19:50
80th minute

Match Stats

The question is why do we capitulate in the last 10 minutes. We were lucky they didn’t punish us when we started so poorly. Then we steadied and DCE’s 40/20 resulted in a try a momentum shift. We then looked great until the last 10 minutes. So what happened? Two weeks in a row! A complete lack of professionalism and effort that’s what. A complete lack of concentration and grit. Embarrassing and disappointing. A win is a win but they should be embarrassed.
I think v cowboys and storm we played at 100 miles an hour all game, then got puffed. High energy, but need to use the bench better, and take Dce off for last 5 mins.

One of Saab's best games. He seemed really determined to run hard at the defenders when bringing the ball back and he dented the line when he did so.
He'll always be gangly but that's just his build, I thought he really ripped in last night and that's a great sign for his development.
He was safe under the high ball, too.
Like they say, no one remembers the takes only the dropped balls.

Watched replay, storm offside for two of their kickoffs. But no excuse josh.

That penalty was definitely a sweetheart one. In the NRL at just about every kick off or restart there are players offside, some far more than Schuster was. Yet Atkins decides to penalise us.

Of course, Brandon Smith tried to cause obstruction trouble Andrew Davey, to no avail.
Ever since his infamous milking & wink at the camera against Manly, I can’t suffer that bloke.
I was commenting all game how much I think the block of cheese is a grubby wanker
Can’t stand the carnt either!

Back from Brookie and what a bizarre game. From the first 10 minutes with both sides inexplicably having the dropsies, to the last 10 minutes when the score went from 36-12 to 36-30. At the end everyone was standing around recovering from near heart attacks!

Anyway, a win's a win and against the Storm makes it sweeter. An awesome birthday gift, both for me and for Reuben.

Hip hop happy birthday! Enjoy your first alcoholic beverage!

Did anyone else hear the commentators making excuses for Melbourne near the end?

They had players travel back from Perth...um so did we. They had players travel from NZL...um so did we. They had players in the Campbelltown tests...um so did we...They had Kaufusi out...um we had Aloiai out. They had Munster out...um we had Tommy out.

The press conference comments by "journos" were 'interesting' as well.

Manly's was mainly: So the collapse huh, tell us about that, the collapse yeah, like you guys collapsed didn't ya...the collapse...so how about that collapse...?

Melbourne's: Awww...you had players out, you guys had a short turnaround, you guys had to travel, it's the rep round.

It was borderline psychotic the way the 'journos' tripped over themselves trying to make Bellamy 'feel better' about losing, trying to comfort him and making him feel like it's ok, it wasn't his fault.

I swear the storm run their organisation like some type of cult. If you speak out against it, you're cut off forever.

To Bellamy's credit he said you can make excuses but Manly were in the same boat.

Maybe I'll just start referring to 'sports journos' as lyrebirds.

Go Manly! woohoo!

Saab takes a hell of a lot more bombs than he drops. Not sure why they keep kicking to his wing to be honest.
It's not so much a tactic around trying to get him to drop the ball. It's about his slow play-the-ball and lack of lateral movement. You can kick to Saab and (a) know that he won't beat the chasers with a step and (b) will be dominated to the extent that the first ruck of the set, will be slow. That sets the opposition up nicely.

The week after Saab got injured, he was going to be left out of the 17 for Christian T. As it turned out, Garrick had to go back to 1 and that opened the door for Saab to come back in, when fit. There have been concerns about his carriers and defence. However, he has been good the last couple of weeks and his carries have a little more venom about them.

Yeah I think the kicking to Saab tactic is more about pinning manly in that left corner to start the set. Storm may well have done this no matter who the winger was, it suits their right side defence to smash the team coming off its line.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8