Manly V Souths teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Eagles will prove too slippery for Souths

Greg Prichard | April 18, 2009
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/eagles-too-slippery-for-souths/2009/04/17/1239475060830.html 
South Sydney v Manly ANZ Stadium, tonight, 7.30pm

What the Rabbitohs say There is no doubting their effort, but they need to work on their execution. "We've got to learn a lot from this game," captain Roy Asotasi said after Monday's loss to the Bulldogs.

What the Sea Eagles say They had their first win of the season against Wests Tigers last weekend, but aren't getting carried away. "It was much needed, but it was still short of our best," coach Des Hasler said. "We've still got some work to do."

What Prichard says

There are a couple of indicators that go against the Rabbitohs. They are backing up five days after playing the Bulldogs, and the only other time they had to back up after five days this season they turned in a listless performance against Parramatta. They also have a record of two losses from two night games, as opposed to three wins from three day games. Teams generally find it harder to secure the ball when it gets a bit wet at night, and the Rabbitohs haven't adjusted to that very well. Plus, their kicking game hasn't been as good at night as it has been in day games. Those things could turn around, but until they do there is a question mark over Souths. I'm tipping Manly.

For the Rabbitohs to win They need to concentrate on securing the ball and completing their sets. They have the players who can put something on in attack, but there is plenty of time for that. They must achieve good field position, because if mistakes lead to them being forced to play off their own line, they are going to be under pressure when they kick. And who will be waiting to take advantage of kicks that aren't deep enough? Manly fullback Brett Stewart. The team that wins this game is going to have to grind out an advantage through the forwards first.

For the Sea Eagles to win Now that they have achieved some stability with their line-up, they will be looking to use the formula that won them last year's premiership. That is, play a power game through the forwards, and when the defence is on the back foot, peel wide and use the speed and skill of their backs - most notably Stewart - to score tries. There is still plenty of room for improvement, and that is why they will be determined not to get things back-to-front by trying to cut loose before the platform has been laid.

The X factor Manly forwards Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart know how to score tries - they had 15 between them last season. They haven't scored a try between them so far this season, but the Sea Eagles did it tough through the early rounds. Now the ship is steadying, watch for Watmough and Stewart in attack. It won't be long before they break their 2009 try duck.

What the bookies say

Manly are favourites at $1.45 with TAB Sportsbet. The Rabbitohs are at $2.65. The points start in handicap betting is 6½ at $1.90.

The late mail

Manly centre Steve Matai is in doubt with a neck injury.

Even though he ****ed alot of **** up, Watmough #1.

Perry looked good too. Even hall had some big runs. Forward pack looks good.

The #7 from Souths is hopeless against this manly defense, he needs a man on the inside.

18-0 half time.

Lyon x 2
BS x 1

Worst display of kicking in genral play by manly I think I've ever seen did any kick go more than 30m???

The attack in 2nd half was so also so poor, we must have had 10 sets on there line and couldn't score.

Because we were 20 in front, letting them in for a late try - noy happy

2nd half was very ordinary, kicking was sh!t, especially 2 from Bailey and Ballin.

Positives are that we improved, especially that first half, we were switched on and held onto the ball.  Kite was great, Perry was improved as well.  Lyon was sensational as he has been all season and Orford played well imo.  Although I am sure DSM will only remember the intercept. 

Nothing more than a consulation. Given the comparative starts to the season I'll take that 24-8 the fight back rolls on. Back to Back Premiers  8)

Come on boys and girls (thats for you nicci). Let's see the positives from this game, it was a win. The bunnies were on top only 2 rounds ago.
Here we go, on to bigger and better things.

First half was clinical, second half was a bore. We are on the way back. Bailey had a better game.

yep i agree Bailey had one of his better games for us, other than his kicking his passing and ball running skills were great. I dont think he was purchased for his kicking skills anyway.

deadlyeagle link said:
yep i agree Bailey had one of his better games for us, other than his kicking his passing and ball running skills were great. I dont think he was purchased for his kicking skills anyway.
Bailey's pass while falling in the tackle set up Brett's 2nd try. Soon after he kicked in the in-goal for a repeat set.
Good signs.
Our defence was pretty good also. Wing slipped through, and the intercept was unfortunate but at that stage of the game and with that scoreline - would have been our try if it came off.
Hall very powerful, especially in the 1st half.

I thought Ted and King were soft.  Best on park, Matai.  When he took the ball up it was strong and straight.  Why can't the front rowers take it forward like this guy?  I'm over Orford.  I'll leave it to the crawlers to talk his game up.  I can't. 

if you are refering to me as a crawler, i havent talked up his game, i just havent rubbished it. Are you aware that his kicks have produced more drop outs than any other kicker so far this season. And perry and king were much better this week than they have been. Perry was very strong

Snake and Lyon were superb. Bailey is showing a few signs of gelling which is a plus. Robbo is back where he plays best, winger, that is all he is and a damn fine one. matai tried hard as usual and bani went ok. Ox was in the thick of it....there were some poor kicks downfield but he played well overall. Hall is back! Glenn Stewart is warming up...good game. Watmough was good but some silly penalties tonight. Kite was great as was King...perry had a soft 1st half but picked up in the 2nd half. Ballin and Le Strange were ok, but weren;t as sharp passing from dummy half. Cuthbo went well and chose when to force the pass to a tee. Rodney was ok, but I am yet to see the wraps placed on him by some..still, he is finding his place.

It was a clinical 1st half, identical to last years form, but the 2nd half was disappointing...should have put on another try at least with the possession they had close to the line...

as many will agree too i am no orford fan in general but tonight is not the night to get into him, he as was the entire team were very good in the first half and did what they had to do in the second.

I thought Bailey showed great promise and good signs of starting to gel.

And Lyon showed why he technically should be one of the first picked for any rep honours, he is the best centre in the game by a mile and pretty much has been at the top whenever in that position

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8