Manly v Souths 27/4/2003

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
After 2 wins in a row, Manly face up to Souths at a wet Brooky. Can Manly keep the wins flowing?

Souths with 1 win from 5 needed a victory to keep away from the wooden spoon. Their biggest loss so far was by 8 points. Their forward pack showing a bit of resolve.

Captain Menzies sin binned mid first half. Great call by coach Sharp to drop Dorn and bring in Ben Walker. Penalty goals a plenty in this match.

Next week up against Penrith at Penrith who are running 9th with 3 wins 3 losses, winning the last 2 matches. Big crowds at Penrith all year in what became a premiership winning season.

Will always support my club but jeez that was a weak side. Beaver, a young watmough and a lot of filling spaces.

Which adds to the story. The build up over the next 2 seasons whilst still having a dysfunctional board in the wings and a rookie coach next year. What's not to love about this team.
Funny irony is from this season In 2003 we've had a dysfunctional board ever since. Imagine if we had a solid owner that allowed the team to be run well without any of the infighting.

After 2 wins in a row, Manly face up to Souths at a wet Brooky. Can Manly keep the wins flowing?

Souths with 1 win from 5 needed a victory to keep away from the wooden spoon. Their biggest loss so far was by 8 points. Their forward pack showing a bit of resolve.

Captain Menzies sin binned mid first half. Great call by coach Sharp to drop Dorn and bring in Ben Walker. Penalty goals a plenty in this match.
That must have been one of the highlights of that year to win 3 games on the trot . Were not really in final 's contention from memory but still some pretty handy guys on the roster and Sharp , probably not that bad a coach all round . Mentioned previously was a pity that the club never got full value out of Kevin Mcguiness in the time he was at Manly for whatever reason . Really good player at his best , sure that he still managed a few good games but just the way it goes sometimes for both club and individual .

Funny irony is from this season In 2003 we've had a dysfunctional board ever since. Imagine if we had a solid owner that allowed the team to be run well without any of the infighting.
Maybe two or three more premierships for starters. These are all hypothetical, however:

We could have won in 2009, but were off to a bad start courtesy of boardroom shenanigans and the subsequent fallout (on a couple of fronts) from the season launch.

Then they saw a premiership-winning coach off in 2011, because he wanted more resources. Thanks again Penn. Manly had the team to win in 2012 and ‘13. Hasler took a lesser team to the GF in 2012. And who doesn’t think Hasler could have achieved what Toovey failed to do in 2013?

Maybe two or three more premierships for starters. These are all hypothetical, however:

We could have won in 2009, but were off to a bad start courtesy of boardroom shenanigans and the subsequent fallout (on a couple of fronts) from the season launch.

Then they saw a premiership-winning coach off in 2011, because he wanted more resources. Thanks again Penn. Manly had the team to win in 2012 and ‘13. Hasler took a lesser team to the GF in 2012. And who doesn’t think Hasler could have achieved what Toovey failed to do in 2013?
Ah we will never know but just think the money Penn has paid over past 8 years to coaches and support staff in severance and other costs. Then rewind to 2011 and put that money into the resources and Hasler and I think 2 or 3 more premierships could have been very doable.

That must have been one of the highlights of that year to win 3 games on the trot . Were not really in final 's contention from memory but still some pretty handy guys on the roster and Sharp , probably not that bad a coach all round . Mentioned previously was a pity that the club never got full value out of Kevin Mcguiness in the time he was at Manly for whatever reason . Really good player at his best , sure that he still managed a few good games but just the way it goes sometimes for both club and individual .
I'd also like to have someone like Haumono in the forward pack. What a pairing he and Guac would be.

Last edited:
Yep, I think you're right. But he was unstoppable when he was on. I remember sitting on the 20 m line and watching him crash through the Cronulla defence in the 95 semi. That was a good day!
A bit like Trex. When on he was unstoppable. When he was off a plodding plodder of the highest order.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4