Pre-Game Manly v Roosters [Round 18, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 16
4 Pines Park
02 Jul 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to this game. Hopefully the players are behind the Club's Management as they have shown they are managing the Club.

So while it's about a month earlier than last year, it is the corresponding Roosters game that came the week the whole "inclusive round" disaster tore the place apart. No matter your view of the issue or the players at that time, I remember walking towards the ground that night worried no one would show up. But as I got closer to the turnstiles, there was an obvious buzz emanating from the ground.

And man, when I walked in to the ground I have to say it was one of the proudest (no pun intended) moments as a Manly supporter, to see how many supporters had turned out to support the team. That thrown together team played bloody good footy that night. A huge amount of guts against a tough Roosters side. With a bit of luck and a bit more polish, we could have even won the game.

This week we really need to win and I want to see the same spirit shown that night, this Sunday. We need to really rip in and show we can still give the 8 a shake. Time to show us something lads!!

Edit: sorry, I moved this from the Melb thread.

Sorry if already posted but those going get the b'town workers match as well.

"Those making the trip across the Bridge this weekend will be treated to a double-header, with the NSW Cup Roosters going head-to-head with the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at 1:35pm to commence Sunday’s proceedings."

Getting familiar with our Enemy

Who is Siua Wong? Young Roosters forward set to make NRL debut​

The Sydney Roosters are set to reward another player with an NRL debut this season, with Siua Wong named in their Round 18 side.

Wong has progressed rapidly through the ranks in recent years and has earned a spot in Trent Robinson's injury-ravaged side.

The Sporting News takes a closer look at the potential young star.
Wong - who also goes by Joshua - is a promising young forward currently contracted by the Sydney Roosters.

He was born in Middlemore, New Zealand, and is of Fijian and Tongan heritage.

After moving to Australia as a teenager, he signed with the Sydney Roosters as a 14-year-old.

Wong began the 2022 season in the Tricolours' SG Ball Cup side but finished the year as a starting player in their NSW Cup team.

He was also named in Fiji's squad for the Rugby League World Cup in 2022 and has already earned five international caps.

Now, he will be given his shot in first grade, when he makes his NRL debut for the Roosters against the Sea Eagles on Sunday.

A damaging and versatile forward, Wong has played in the second row, at prop, and most recently at lock in the NSW Cup this season.

He has averaged 149 run metres per game in 2023, whilst also achieving 94 per cent tackle efficiency.

Canterbury Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould noticed Wong last season and advocated for him to make the step up to first grade.

“There’s a kid named in number 20 for the Roosters, a kid called Siua Wong, who I think could be the next big thing in rugby league,” Gould said on the Six Tackles With Gus podcast in 2022.

“He’s still SG Ball age, he’s still under 19s but he’s had a few games in the NSW Cup and excelled and I see he’s now on the bench and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he gets a game."

Siua Wong age​

Born in 2003, Wong is just 20 years old.

He's not the youngest player on the team though, with star winger Joseph-Aukuso Sua'ali'i almost four months his junior.

Where will Siua Wong play for the Roosters in Round 18?​

Wong has been named on the bench for the Roosters in their upcoming match against the Sea Eagles and will wear the No. 16 jersey.

He will become Rooster No. 1219 and also be the club's 29th player used this season and their eighth debutant in 2023.

Siua Wong contract​

Wong is currently contracted as part of the Roosters' top 30 roster until 2024.

The Crook Cock List

PLAYERISSUERETURN
Angus CrichtonKneeTBA
Sitili TupouniuaNeckTBA
Egan ButcherConcussionRound 20
Brandon SmithThumbRound 20
Connor WatsonKneeRound 20
Paul MomirovskiShoulderRound 22
Sam WalkerKneeIndefinite
Angus Crichton (knee) suffered an MCL injury on Sunday, Roosters coach Trent Robinson confirmed. He could miss anywhere from two to six weeks. Sitili Tupouniua (neck) could be facing an extended period on the sidelines after picking up a neck injury prior to Round 17's loss to Canberra.

Egan Butcher and Jake Turpin also failed to finish the clash with the Raiders, although only the former hasn't been named for Round 18.

Brandon Smith (thumb) broke his thumb during his side's loss to St George. He has undergone surgery but is nearing a return.

Connor Watson (knee) suffered an injury during pre-season but is now back in training and he is expected to return to action in Round 20.

Paul Momirovski (shoulder) has undergone surgery and will be sidelined for up to two months.

Sam Walker (knee) has been sidelined for longer than initially anticipated and remains in a brace.

Hope this doesn't mean the refs will be instructed to wear their tri coloured glasses ...

Our Great Manly Premiership Winning teams were good enough to beat both their opposition and the refs
If we are good enough on the day we will also Prevail

Toby
Koula(left wing)
Garrick (left centre)
Harper
Saab
Schuster
DCE
Paseka
Croker
Keppie
Olakau'atu
Tuilagi
Bullemor
-----------
GCKTong
Matterson/Stuckey
Sipley
Boyle
Faulalo as 18th.

Garrick was good at fullback,but Toby and Tuilagi,Garrick,Koula give Schuster some actual options other than Bullemor and Harper who are effort and no skill.
Keppie needs to start and Bullemor can play long minutes and is mobile at lock.
Gordie needs to come onto the bench,we need some spark there.
People bag Boyle,but he will give more mongrel then players currently picked.
Stuckey deserves a shot,as does Matterson,both can play middle or edge and Matterson can also slot in at 6 or 3 if needed.
I guess the 2 Fainus and Myers are pariahs now to the club(according to silvertails),otherwise they should be looked at.
Who is Toby?

If these teams stay as listed (doubtful) it would see us with a huge size advantage in the forwards/bench.

Manly Pack - 660kg
Easts Pack - 602

Manly Bench - 432
Easts Bench - 419

With Jake back on our side, if we dont dominate the middle it won't be because of the lack of tools for the job - we just need to hold on to the bloody ball like 1st-half last week.

Easts are also packing some green rookies - Sandon Smith has 4 games, Naufahu Whyte (9), Terell May (16) and Siua Wong is on debut. (mostly forwards again).

Radley will probably spend some time in the bin as Easts are a club under pressure (like us), and his coping mechanism is overtuned violence. JWH will likely overcompensate and look for a tree to piss on too given the lack of troops up front - last time it was young Zac Fulton, this time maybe he'll target Schuster or some other backline rookie - i'd love him to get in Paseka's face and awaken something scary in him.

Easts do have a more solid backline than us IMO, but as many often point out - the backs can't do their thing as freely if the forwards are getting dominated in the middle. This backline should be backpeddling half the game, and too gassed from defending their line and running the early tackle-count hitups from their own corner.

For points, we need more than last week. Schuster as always is our wildcard. If he goes missing again like in previous games then it will all be on DCE as usual. Given ths contract talks and speculation he could be up for an absolutely disinterested ****-show of a performance, or a blinder. Struggle to read that kid's game-face.

TL/DR
Deadset we should monster them through the middle this weekend with our size advantage alone, and if we don't there should be some major questions asked about attitude, fitness and performance.

I feel that the boost in signings and re-signings news this week could give a real lift to the general attitude through the place. It's like the management and coach have taken control and said this is where we are going and we have a plan to get there. Whether it happens time will tell but at least with leadership and direction the enthusiasm levels should be higher. I expect a big effort Sunday plus getting 4 players back in and a big Sunday arvo Brookie crowd should lift us to a win.

I feel that the boost in signings and re-signings news this week could give a real lift to the general attitude through the place. It's like the management and coach have taken control and said this is where we are going and we have a plan to get there. Whether it happens time will tell but at least with leadership and direction the enthusiasm levels should be higher. I expect a big effort Sunday plus getting 4 players back in and a big Sunday arvo Brookie crowd should lift us to a win.
Hey Mick, I know I'm still a relative newbie on the Forum but this doesn't seem to match your MO that I was led to believe you operate under. What's going on mate?? @:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10