Post-Game Discussion Manly v Knights [Round 5, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Knights
32 Glen Willow Stadium
01 Apr 2023 15:00
89:09 minute

Match Stats

Perhaps I see it this way because I'm not a Newcastle supporter?
But to me it looked like Manly were playing a Newcastle team that had very little 'star power' (?) - if that's the case then a draw yesterday was quite telling.

One aspect I was extremely disappointed in yesterday. Don’t know if anyone else noticed, but there was a complete lack of urgency in cutting off the Newy try scorers from improving their position. Lazy defence, clicking off etc meant several tries were scored way way closer to the posts than they should’ve been, making the goals kicks a fait accompli instead of a challenge from out wide. Very possibly the difference between a win and a draw. Grrrr.:mad:

Easy to blame the coach but I doubt it is that simple. Kevin Walters, whose own players think he can't coach, has got his side flying!
Broncos are running hot. What s**ts me though is the advantage they have over the competition with their scheduling and 'home' games. Up to round 10 they have 7, mostly prime time, scheduled home games. 5 of their own plus dolphins and Manly's -supposedly home games.
3 away games in 10 rounds. Far less travel and disturbance to routine. Playing well, absolutely, but completion stitch up.
My take is Manly were busted after the Souths game and lacked energy, enthusiasm and creativity.
Don't know what's going on with Tommy he isn't Turboing.
Anyway it's best to be dodgy at this time of the year than later on.

Easy to blame the coach but I doubt it is that simple. Kevin Walters, whose own players think he can't coach, has got his side flying!
Didn’t blame the coach, just said he had to own a fair chunk of it, team selection was regressive and the use of the side he played questionable.

I don’t care about Kevi or the donkeys, thing is however, they pick their best side, they play and back their youth, yesterday felt like Des was back at the club and the result was similar, we had options and the opportunity to build and didn‘t, it got the result it fostered.

You never see Robbo or Belly ache be regressive, they make positional shifts when it’s best for the team. Seibs had options and for mine could of done a lot better job of it. I bet he’d like to go back and do it differently.

Really patchy just all over the place , confident start , really good comeback effort when Manly looked down and out and then probably should have gone on with it . Then mixed in with just too much hesitant and below par defensive reads and effectiveness . D C E back to his overthinking approach setting up plays again, better off just passing early which has been canvassed ad nauseam but does not seem to change . Bit of ill discipline not helping but not the reason for the inconsistency . Would have still started with Weekes as the 6 , fair enough to take a perceived safe option but can offer more then Cooper Johns in almost all areas and that should have been enough reason . Fantastic effort by Jake but is going to have to have a bit of a break in games soon , otherwise will just start to be gradually worn out . Somehow going to have to get Tuilagi to try and overcome his occasional but costly defensive lapses , always seem to come at costly times in Manly 's red zone . Knights are a fairly solid outfit and certainly have a dig and with Hastings and Young in such good form , in some respects did well to stay with them and with the type of inconsistent form Manly showed yesterday

Hastings was the difference IMO, he helped them play to their strengths and target our weakness, he had time with the ball in hand and caused us trouble on the edges off depth all day.

Our D was terrible, leaking 32 points, we missed 48 tackles with 14 more deemed ineffective, 62 defensive errors, hardly 1st grade standard.

We lacked energy and effort and in the end I though we were extremely lucky to come away with a point.

Seibs has to own a fair chunk of it, said early in the week the side had a regressive feel to it. He even failed to manage the game well with the side he picked, he should of injected Weekes earlier and given him more minutes, he added spark and creativity and helped get us back in the game.

There’s some really bad reading amongst our stats from yesterday and plenty to work on, we could of fielded a very different side, Lawman and Weekes would of added the energy we needed and a couple positional changes could of strengthened the side.

I hated yesterday, it lacked so much from a coaching perspective, the result was not surprising, hard to spell it all out in a forum thread, but we slaughtered yesterday and slaughtered the opportunity to improve and carry momentum into next week, not really looking forward to next weeks team sheet now and it’s hard to see us building anything positive out what happened.
Hastings was allowed to run 10-15 metres before kicking half the time, with absolutely no pressure on him.

It was poor coaching yesterday. Clearly Johns and Harper should not be picked. Weekes should've been 5/8th and Burbo or Garrick to center with Vega wing. Looked like several forwards played busted yesterday so fresh reserves Lawton, Sipley, Fainu ,Boyle needed to be used. Our tactics were poor, no pressure on Hastings and general lacklustre line speed.

The best teams.can defend....and we are atrocious..... so its gonna be a long year based upon this
game and the Parra game.

Wtf has happened to our defence ina recent years. Jake is obviously excused...but the rest what the actual ?

My favourite part.of the game was with 2 mins left to go last tackle with the Knights attacking... game.on the line...the Knights throw a shocker pass from dummy half and it bounces twice and still nobody pressures the kicker who had time for a haircut, a cut lunch and bubble bath....then puts the kick on a plate for Dom Young with a bomb to the corner.

FFS our effort areas are appalling. Shortcuts all the way. Good team but a lazy team lazy teams run 9th or exit 1st week semi's.

Here is a fun fact.

Both AFB and Paseka have played 4 games this year.

Paseka has 601 run metres from 57 runs equating to 10.54 metres per run

AFB has 571 run metres from 51 runs equating to 11.19 metres per game

We are splitting hairs here. Paseka is playing well this season, has really stepped up
You are taking a sample of 4 games. Fonua Blake has been doing it consistently over the years.
Fonua Blake was always the first prop picked even when Paseka was at the club.
Fonua Blake did consistent yardage for 5 seasons with Manly. Paseka has been at the club since 2018, he might be playing well of late but he has been very inconsistent.
Also as an indicator, AFB and Marty Tapau were the best prop combo in the comp for a few seasons....Paseka doesnt even rate a mention in that conversation

Last edited:
It was poor coaching yesterday. Clearly Johns and Harper should not be picked. Weekes should've been 5/8th and Burbo or Garrick to center with Vega wing. Looked like several forwards played busted yesterday so fresh reserves Lawton, Sipley, Fainu ,Boyle needed to be used. Our tactics were poor, no pressure on Hastings and general lacklustre line speed.
Harper needs massive improvements to his game and needs a long spell in reggies. Garrick to centre and Vaega on the wing, and Weekes to partner DCE if Schuster is out and have Chan Kum Tong on the bench.

One aspect I was extremely disappointed in yesterday. Don’t know if anyone else noticed, but there was a complete lack of urgency in cutting off the Newy try scorers from improving their position. Lazy defence, clicking off etc meant several tries were scored way way closer to the posts than they should’ve been, making the goals kicks a fait accompli instead of a challenge from out wide. Very possibly the difference between a win and a draw. Grrrr.:mad:
I would have loved to have seen an attempt to push Young over the dead ball line before he grounded it.

My favourite part.of the game was with 2 mins left to go last tackle with the Knights attacking... game.on the line...the Knights throw a shocker pass from dummy half and it bounces twice and still nobody pressures the kicker who had time for a haircut, a cut lunch and bubble bath....then puts the kick on a plate for Dom Young with a bomb to the corner.

FFS our effort areas are appalling. Shortcuts all the way. Good team but a lazy team lazy teams run 9th or exit 1st week semi's.
When the kick went up to Youngs wing, I thought Dom is good, he'll get this. Garrick looked gassed and didn't have jump left in him.

It upsets me that Crossland, the worst player in the nrl, got the ball and kicked it. The only time this player has ever done something, and he saved it for 79th min v manly. What are the odds.
100% spot on...Why o why weren't we up to the last gasp throw your body at the kicker, it was the last minute peoples.. ugh@#

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4