Manly v Dragqueens

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NIGHTINGALE TO RETURN FOR QUALIFYING FINAL  9 SEPTEMBER 2008

St George Bank Dragons fullback Jason Nightingale will this week return from a quadriceps injury for the Third Qualifying Final against the Sea-Eagles at Brookvale Oval this Saturday night.

Nightingale, 21, was a late withdrawal from last weeks match but has recovered to take part in the qualifying final at the expense of Brett Morris.

“I’ve recovered from the injury so it’ll be good to get out there and take part in the finals,” he said. “It’s what you play for all year so I’m looking forward to it.”

The remainder of the squad is the same as last week with the addition of veteran hooker Simon Woolford to an eight-man interchange bench (four to be omitted).

Unavailable Dragons are: Chase Stanley – Ankle (Finals Wk 2), Ricky Thorby – Ribs (season), Justin Poore - Knee (season)

1.  Jason NIGHTINGALE
2.  Wendell SAILOR
3.  Mark GASNIER (c)
4.  Matt COOPER
5.  Josh MORRIS
6.  Ben ROGERS
7.  Ben HORNBY
8.  Dan HUNT
9.  Stuart WEBB
10. Jason RYLES
11. Lagi SETU
12. Ben CREAGH
13. Dean YOUNG 

14. Matt PRIOR
15. Kirk REYNOLDSON
16. Beau Scott
17. Ben ELLIS

18. Jarrod SAFFY
19. Jamie SOWARD
20. Simon WOOLFORD
21. Rangi CHASE

www.Dragons.com.au

Sea Eagles vs Dragons - Team Line-up

9/09/2008 - By Manly Sea Eagles

Coach Des Hasler has named a very strong line-up for Saturdays Home Semi Final against the Dragons.  Jamie Lyon has moved into the starting line-up with Steve Menzies going to the 5 man bench.  Steve Matai returns from suspension.  Luke Williamson is still out with injury.

SEA EAGLES NRL TEAM: Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steve Bell, Steve Matai, David Williams, Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford ©, Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, Josh Perry, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Hall, Glenn Stewart
Interchange: Heath L'Estrange, Mark Bryant, Jason King, Steve Menzies, Adam Cuthbertson (1 player to be omitted)

SEA EAGLES NSW CUP TEAM: Michael Bani, Sean Meaney, Shane Neumann, Andrew Suniula, Gideon Mzembe, Nick Bradley-Qalilawa, Jeff Robson, Phil Morwood, Trent Rose, George Rose, Jack Afamasaga, Jon Grieve, Jason Wells
Interchange: Ray Nasso, Chris Trembath, Junior Palau, Mark Offerdahl, John Grey, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
Coach: Craig Sandercock

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp

looks like cuthbo to be dropped again

I would say LeStrange will stay on. if we get a big enough lead, then he will take Orford off to rest him and he needs LeStrange and Ballin for that

I think Cuthbo will get the chop

I noticed in the Titans game that we were bringing the ball out from our line, Cuthbo threw a risky offload which cost us possession, and was sitting on the bench 1mins later. Wheather that was the rotation plan anyway, who knows

He has showed some glimpes, especially against the Tigers, but his form has been down since that sendoff against the Raiders

I'm thinking Cuthbo... i didn't really notice him too much the last 2 games apart from making errors.  Maybe the pressure of being Manly's secret attack weapon is getting to him?

LOL @ the heading

Manly benches Steve Menzies

By Steve Mascord

September 09, 2008 12:00am

MANLY stalwart Steve Menzies has been benched for Saturday's third qualifying final against St George Illawarra.

With Jamie Lyon making a successful comeback from a knee injury last Saturday against Penrith, Menzies will watch the kick-off of the Brookvale Oval clash from the sidelines.

Lyon has been named at five-eighth; Heath L'Estrange makes up an 18-man squad with centre Steve Matai returning from suspension to supplant Shane Neumann.

The Dragons are boosted by the return of fullback Jason Nightingale (quadriceps), forcing out Brett Morris. "I've recovered from the injury so it'll be good to get out there and take part in the finals,'' said Nightingale. "It's what you play for all year so I'm looking forward to it.''

Jarrod Saffy, Jamie Soward, Simon Woolford and Rangi Chase have all been added to the Dragons' squad

Gee I don't know how fit King is going to be, but he won't get any fitter not playing. Do we need 5 boppas (Kite, Perry, Hall, Bryant and King) ? The Dragons don't have much size on their bench, nor in their starting line up really outside of Ryles and Hunt. But having said that Cuthbo's form has been on the wane, however he does bring a bit of X factor which may be handy. I think it's a choice between King and Bryant to drop off.

aint it funny that there is no mention of Hall dropping out of the side, just goes to show that  if you roll your sleeves up and get stuck in the form will follow

Manly quick to praise home-wrecking Dragons

Andrew Stevenson | September 11, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/playing-those-mind-games/2008/09/10/1220857636436.html

HAPPY to play reverse mind games with pike, Manly were almost ready yesterday to roll over and concede victory to St George Illawarra before the whistle is blown at 8.30pm on Saturday.

What might be Fortress Brookvale to everyone else is a run-down suburban backyard to the Dragons, who boast an imposing record against the Sea Eagles, with a high conversion rate at Manly's home ground.

The Dragons have won seven of the past eight games between the two clubs, holding their record at a time when Manly have surged to the top of the ladder. At Brookvale, the Dragons have won three of their past four matches. And in their only recent finals clash, the Dragons flogged Manly 28-0 at the SFS in 2006.

If that record rankles Manly, coach Des Hasler and players such as returning five-eighth Jamie Lyon were doing their best not to show it.

"They're our bogy team, I suppose, and they should beat us, the way they've been going," Lyon deadpanned.

Hasler was only slightly more circumspect, suggesting, "They should be pretty confident. They'll come ready to play. I guess it's a tick in their box."

The more confident they come, the better Hasler seems to like it, having spent a year trying to keep his Sea Eagles flying under the radar, undeservedly so, with Manly pipped in the last round for the minor premiership.

But the coach is always ready to praise his opponents, acknowledging the imminent departure to France of centre Mark Gasnier (to play rugby with Stade Francais) and prop Jason Ryles (to play with Catalans in the Super League) may well inspire the Dragons to an even better performance.

"They've got some great individuals," Hasler said of the Dragons. "They've certainly got a side that can beat anyone. That's what I think about this top eight - it's a lot tougher than it was last year."

Centre Steve Matai predicted the Dragons would continue with their fiery approach, most obviously on show when St George Illawarra stood toe-to-toe with eventual minor premiers, the Melbourne Storm.

"I definitely think they're going to come out like that. The way they've been playing this year, they've definitely run the ball hard and tackled hard, and I don't think it's going to change," he predicted. "We're going to do anything we can to help us win the game, and I'm sure they will be the same."

Matai will resume his battle with Gasnier, for whom a loss will mean an end to his NRL career. The Kiwis centre was sent from the field for a late and high tackle that knocked Gasnier senseless in a Test last October.

In recent weeks, Matai's trademark rushes out of the defensive line have been on show, with rib-tickling effect.

But he admitted he'd have to take things more carefully against the wily Dragon.

"He's got great footwork and a great fend so if we rush up on him he's definitely going to put one on me and I'll look stupid," Matai said of Gasnier. "He's one of the strike players, and I'm going to have to be on my game to stop him. I've got to get up in his face and cut his thinking time down."

While the Dragons have their stars, so too do Manly, with captain and halfback Matt Orford walking off with this year's Dally M player of the year award. Orford was thrilled with the honour.

"I'm probably still pinching myself," he said.

Matai reckoned the captain would go on to even bigger things with the recognition.

"I thought he turned up this morning with a spring in his step," he said.

Demons driving the Ox in finals
By Dean Ritchie | September 11, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24326848-5006066,00.html

BY claiming rugby league's Dally M Medal, Manly halfback Matt Orford killed off the theory he was too small to cut it in the NRL.

Now Orford must confront the other stigma which haunts him - that he chokes in big games.

Orford yesterday returned to training at Narrabeen just 12 hours after winning the most prestigious individual award in rugby league.

Orford will now throw all his focus into Saturday night's blockbuster semi-final against St George Illawarra at Brookvale Oval. Asked where the Dally M rated in his career, Orford said: "It's at the top at the moment.

"It's the best individual award you can get. The whole night was pretty much a blur. It went so quick.

"To realise you are in the presence of some really great names (is unbelievable). You're in the history books. You've done something special.

"The award is so prestigious and I am grateful (to be chosen).

"You don't get too many opportunities like this. It is something I can reflect on after I retire."

Orford has been much-maligned his entire career yet continues to be ranked among the game's elite players.

With a season to run on his contract, Orford, 30, said he planned to retire as a Sea Eagle. "If the body and mind and passion is still there, I'd definitely like to stay here," Orford said.

"Why would I want to leave this?

"I've got the beaches, got a great club but at this stage I haven't really thought about it too much.

"I'll get through this year and worry about my future come next year.

"I wouldn't rule out England, you never say never. It would give you the chance to do some travelling." Manly CEO Grant Mayer said Orford was in the club's long-term plans.

"He's our captain and an integral part of our team," Mayer said.

"As his Dally M win shows, he's rated among the best in the NRL and we'd certainly like to sit down with him next year and discuss his plans.

"We haven't spoken to him yet about it and he hasn't requested a get-together but once the dust settles on this season we will definitely have a look at the situation.

"It's very heartening to hear he has come out and declared his loyalty."

Manly coach Des Hasler praised Orford's Dally M success.

"It was a great reward - Matt has worked very hard," Hasler said.

"It is well-deserved."

St George Illawarra have won nine from 12 matches against Manly and four from six at Brookvale.

"They have a good record at Brookvale so we are going to have to be on our game," said Manly centre Steve Matai. "There are a few things we need to tweak."

Gasnier must get the ball: Raper
BY MICHAEL COX
12/09/2008
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/gasnier-must-get-the-ball-raper/1270200.aspx

St George legend Johnny Raper has some simple instructions for the Dragons in their sudden-death semi-final against Manly tomorrow night - get the ball to Gaz.

The rugby league immortal believes St George Illawarra have the overall strike power to upset the powerful Sea Eagles line-up at Brookvale Oval.

But he says for the Dragons to do so, they need to utilise the sublime attacking skills of departing centre Mark Gasnier at every opportunity.

"When he wants the ball - then you give him the bloody ball. Don't muck around," Raper said.

"When the backs call for the ball, get it there straight away - plus we've got very good finishers outside of Mark."

Raper is a big fan of Gasnier and he says the dynamic ball-runner will leave a huge hole in the Dragons line-up when he departs for France.

"He's a very strong running back who can change a game," he said. "I think he's a very strong player and we'll undoubtedly miss him.

"He will be hard to replace, that's for sure, he'll be very hard to replace."

While giving Gasnier opportunities to show-off his dazzling footwork and game-breaking ability was key, Raper said a team effort was required tomorrow night.

He said the Dragons had the ability to win the semi-final but needed to pull together.

"They've got to play as a team and not as a bunch of individuals," he said. "They've been guilty of that at times this year - relying on certain players."

The only way Gasnier could be slowed down tomorrow night, Raper said, was if he had a reoccurrence of his back injury.

"I expect him to go well - if he's fit he'll have a big game. But I don't think he'd play in this game if he wasn't fit, he's a pretty sensible footballer. I don't think he'd take the chance of letting his side down."

Cuthbo on the 10 news admitted his form has been nothing most of this year and promises to bring it to the semis

Can't wait for this

Have a party to go to tomorrow night, but am formulating a plan that sees me sneaking out of it when the Bledisloe Cup starts so i can get home for the Footy !!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4