Post-Game Discussion Manly v Dolphins [Round 15, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Dolphins
58 4 Pines Park
09 Jun 2023 20:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Loved Reubens work in attack,but his defense still needs some work..
He is very upright in tackles and arm grabs a lot.
HTF palmed him off easily and he looked shaky at times.
Needs to use the shoulder and leg drive a little more or will get found out more often.
Nit picking I know and you can't always be perfectly balanced on the move,but it just stood out to me...
Yes I was thinking Garrick was great but Manly had all the ball and his defence at centre was always going to be the biggest challenge. But I'll back him to succeed.

Same with our forwards in a way, our monster pack had it all their own way but possibly need a bit more balanced pack as we're not likely to dominate possession so much against the top sides.

But a fantastic performance by Manly, highlights galore. Raiders game showed what happens when we've got our full spine, and yesterday confirmed it. All teams now on notice!

Yes I was thinking Garrick was great but Manly had all the ball and his defence at centre was always going to be the biggest challenge. But I'll back him to succeed.

Same with our forwards in a way, our monster pack had it all their own way but possibly need a bit more balanced pack as we're not likely to dominate possession so much against the top sides.

But a fantastic performance by Manly, highlights galore. Raiders game showed what happens when we've got our full spine, and yesterday confirmed it. All teams now on notice!
I believe he will too,when he started at wing he was too upright and got ragdolled,he learnt to get lower and initiate contact and drive his legs more.
He still doesn't transfer the ball when scoring a try which limits his acrobatic ability to score and allows defenders a shot at punching at the ball....
I thought Aloiai on the bench and Condons improvement(fitness wise)helped cover the loss of Jake.
Aloiai and Bully (when he switched to the middle) and Condon largely kept our momentum going and Condon and Bullys workrate helped to keep our defense a little tighter.

Great win and all that but not getting carrried away because that opposition would get lapped by Blacktown. They were not first grade standard
That’s a really valid point and they we’re definitely long odds, still super happy to win like that at home when we needed too, next week becomes the acid test for now, we need to go back to back and pinch a few away games.

I believe we needed 7 from 12 to play in Sep, the assignments now 6 from 11, with 4 remaining at Brookie, we need to win all those and grab 2 away wins, (maybe pinch 3 away wins as insurance against the Riff at home in Rd 24) next week against Parra needs to be the first away win off the back of last night, especially given Brown (could Fidler pick Moses?) that would be huge for us.

Win against Parra sees us needing 5 from 10, still in a tuff run home but if we build on last night and play with the same commitment for the rest of the season, things are definitely looking up, big game next week, we hate them and can put a real dent in their semis hopes and a real lift under ours. How good is winning, the weekend is already perfect and it’s just begun.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230610_085102.jpg

Really liked the tactic of spreading the ball wider almost from the get go , even Oloakau - atu a lot harder to handle or to be used as a good foil with that shape . More scope for Turbo to be a bigger threat as well . Dolphins centres not noted for their speed but attack so much more unpredictable and potent especially with Garrick "s pace factor there now and with the wider spread . Bit like Shu 's game also in terms of overall team effectiveness in attack though , got quite a few things right but still a bit more cohesion hopefully to still come and execution wise . Sure that some of the time Shu isn 't totally sure what he is doing but neither does the opposition so guess that is not such a bad thing . Side seemed sharp and enthusiastic , forwards got on to a pretty good roll , Croker and Keppie their best games for some time , spine good , Tui one of his best efforts as well but again really good speed out wide which has to be a bonus . Positions can be pretty well settled if all available , just who the best fit at 13 and the juggle for prop positions , Tent , Toff , Bully , Alioia Jake or Sipley . who to start in the back row with Haumole and Sam Fainu has to be in the 17 too on current indications . Still some tough assignments ahead to nail down a top 8 but after last night 's performance , definitely aren 't Phinished yet

He was in front of the kicker, but they didn’t look at that.
Manly's fate is unlikely to come down to for and against, luckily. (However it will come down to defence - and I thought that last minute kick for Hammer was an obvious play, not sure why Manly didn't think to cover it, oh well.)

Great win and all that but not getting carrried away because that opposition would get lapped by Blacktown. They were not first grade standard
True, I'm more happy how we played rather than the scoreline, we showed we could play as a team, they actually looked liked they knew what each other was doing and attacked as a unit rather than one off individuals.
Defence didn't get tested that much because of the amount of ball we had and certainly more work to do in that area, but jeez it looked like a team out there for the first time in a long time.

My only concern is the recent history of turning off for 2 or 3 games after a good performance, the next 2 weeks critical.

For now, YOU BLOODY BEAUTY .......🥳

Not sure if it came through on the tv but there was a distinct difference in overall energy across the field last night that contributed to the effective attack. Everyone was on the balls of their feet and moving off the ball. I haven’t seen that yet this year. We seemed to play with more width and it was effective because the ball got to the edge quicker than it ordinarily would.

There were a few occasions in the first half where we were cramped in a corner and instead of our usual ‘settle’ play of two passes to the middle and take the tackle, Schuster was quickly riffling the ball back to the middle at speed and we’d get the ball to the other edge and DCE and Tom would strip them for numbers.

Loved Reubens work in attack,but his defense still needs some work..
He is very upright in tackles and arm grabs a lot.
HTF palmed him off easily and he looked shaky at times.
Needs to use the shoulder and leg drive a little more or will get found out more often.
Nit picking I know and you can't always be perfectly balanced on the move,but it just stood out to me...
Yeah I think it’s naive to assume it’ll be all roses from here on in, but the potential is there. It’s arguably the most difficult defensive position on the field and I think it takes even the most outstanding prospect some time to get comfortable there. The only way he will develop the necessary capacities in the position, are to play it.

The real test will be defending the Codie Walker, Tass, Johnson edge. But there was enough last night to suggest that it’s worth persevering in the hope that he’ll learn to defend there, having the necessary game time to develop.

I’ve been quite negative this year however that was an incredible performance.

I know the dolphins had some players out however they have been very good this year and we absolutely destroyed them last night. They were lucky we didn’t score 70.

If we play like that consistently we are top 4 or could even go all the way.

Seriously amazing performance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4