Manly V Cowboys teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm glad to see Daniel Abraham getting a run.

The poor bugger has talent by the bucketloads but has had a terrible run with injuries. I hope he can stay fit for a long while now. I also hope he drops plenty of pill this weekend.

Manly 34 NQ 6

They dont have many points in them without Thurston & Bowen and against our defence which has been strong all year they should have even less.

Manly by 20+

Our for Cowgirls:-

Matt Bowen
Ty Williams
Carl Webb
Jacob Lillyman
Matthew Scott
Sione Faumuina
Johnathan Thurston
Travis Burns

Ouch.

Ryan link said:
Our for Cowgirls:-

Matt Bowen
Ty Williams
Carl Webb
Jacob Lillyman
Matthew Scott
Sione Faumuina
Johnathan Thurston
Travis Burns

Ouch.

What a shame Faumuina is out. There goes a certain 12 points...........................for us !

Sea Eagles V Cowboys Preview
Big League

Sea Eagles v Cowboys
BlueTongue Stadium
Saturday 7.30pm

THIS one all boils down to attitude, with one of the most consistent sides in the NRL up against arguably the competition’s most up-and-down side.

The Sea Eagles enter the arena on the back of three great victories (Eels, Bulldogs and Broncos) that have propelled them into equal second place, while the Cowboys are hobbling off their second three-loss streak for the season (Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks).

Surprisingly for a side that made last year’s Grand Final and is in good form again in 2008, Manly players have been largely and curiously overlooked for State of Origin duty, with only fullback Brett Stewart picked in the sky blue for the Origin opener.

Incumbents Jamie Lyon and Brent Kite didn’t get a look in. Outwardly coach Des Hasler is fuming at the snub – but deep down inside he’s probably struggling to contain his glee at retaining his stars.

Stewart’s absence sees Michael Robertson shift to the no.1 jersey, while Nick Bradley-Qalilawa makes his NRL debut on the flank.

The Cowboys lose star playmaker Johnathan Thurston to the Maroons, as well as go-forward prop Carl Webb and second-rower Jacob Lillyman who was scheduled to return from suspension.

Interchange Anthony Watts shifts to the no.7 while Shane Tronc, back from injury, gets the call-up to fill Webb’s shoes. Mat Bowen remains sidelined with a knee injury that will require surgery at the end of the season.

An interesting sideline is that cousins David (Sea Eagles) and John (Cowboys) Williams oppose each other on the wing, each wearing jersey no.5.

Watch out Sea Eagles:
The only possible chink in Manly’s armour appears to be on the wings where their two players this week tally just one NRL game between them.

That won’t have been lost on Cowboys’ coach Graham Murray, so expect plenty of bombs and cross-field kicks directed their way.

Even with their best players on the park Manly have defused just a lowly 38 per cent of cross-field bombs, and have conceded a third of their 18 tries to kicks.

Watch out Cowboys: Going up against the relatively inexperienced Watts, Manly halfback Matt Orford would be contemplating tucking in to a real attacking feast here.

Having played well in season 2008 and still been snubbed by the rep selectors he’s probably resigned to the fact his career has reached its plateau. But in many ways that can be a good thing – there’s no more media scrutiny and no more pressure to perform, meaning he can now concentrate on what he does best at club level.

For example, Orford ranks just two line-break assists behind Thurston’s NRL-best 8. And he is level with JT for top try assists with 11.

There’s no Thurston this week, and with Lyons, Steve Matai and dumped Maroons’ Origin centre Steve Bell hungry outside him, Orford could mastermind a points blitz in Gosford.

Where it will be won: It’s quite simple: defence will determine this one. While both sides have no trouble scoring points (both have scored 32 tries), the Sea Eagles have let in less than half the number of four-pointers the Cowboys have (18 – second-fewest in the comp – to the Cowboys’ 37 – second-most in the comp).

The History: Played 12; Sea Eagles 7, Cowboys 5. Honours are even four games apiece over the past eight clashes although the Sea Eagles won the past two, including a 28-6 thumping at the SFS last year.

It should be noted the Cowboys achieved their biggest head-to-head win against Manly away from home – 31-20 at Brookvale Oval in 2003.

Conclusion: Rarely has the outcome of a game looked as clear-cut as this one. While Manly should be way too strong they will, however, need to watch their discipline.

Their 63 penalties conceded is the second-most by any team this year and while this is a “home” game and referee Ben Cummins has a healthy 8-1 record for home sides in 2008 his lopsided count against the Knights last week drew great coverage.

While not suggesting any pre-meditated actions it’s funny how things like penalty counts can calm down given weight of attention. But invest on a large Manly win. 

Match officials: Referee – Ben Cummins; Sideline Officials – Michael Jones & Steve Carrall; Video ref – Russell Smith.
Televised: FoxSports 2 – Live 7.30pm

Which fool wrote this???  NBQ making his NRL debut.............

Manly centre Steven Bell is out of tomorrow night's clash against the Cowboys after succumbing to an elbow injury in last Sunday's win over Brisbane. Jamie Lyon is tipped to go back to the centre, with Steve Menzies moving tofive-eighth.

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/200...91_sports.html

I hope that's the case - LeagueHQ on smh.com is saying that Beaver will shift to the centres and Cuthbo or someone will slot into the front.

Hmmmm:- We have Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Steve Bell, Jason King, Michael Bani all out. This may be closer than we think. I'd go with:-

01. Michael Robertson
02. David Williams
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Shane Neumann
06. Heath Le'Strange
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Steve Menzies
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Luke Williamson

14. Mark Bryant
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Glenn Hall
17. Vic Mauro

With Le'Strange and Ballin in the side together, I reckon we could go with an 4 forward bench game.

According to SMH, Beaver to centre and Cuthbo starting in back row. That means Mauro will be on the bench with Hall, LeSnak and Bryant

I cannot understand why there is such a clamour for someone who is a hooker to play 5/8. They are such different positions, both defensively and in attack. LeStrange is good running from dummy half but to suggest he can just slot into 5/8 says that some are confused about the alignment and organisation of the a footy team. (I could be wrong and often am - but it reeks of madness!!)

It is because of his ability with the ball. He plays almost like a half back at times.

Running across the line, dummying and passing instead of just your standard dummy half runs.

I could see him with the skills to slot in as a replacement half.

Dan - I agree he runs like a half - but not a five-eighth. That is my very point.

The modern game does not have inside and outside centres and the five eighth defends on one side and in attack is sometimes first receiver on the first side but is also one of two players to play second receiver on either side of the field. I am not sure that is LeSnak's go??

I think LeSnack could handle it, it might actually see us change the way the game is played a little bit. Having 2 players that can play like a half to create doubt, either in second or first receiver would be I think great.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8