Pre-Game Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

31 6
4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 03:00 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Alamoti​

Likened to Sonny Bill Williams in terms of his immense physicality at a young age, Canterbury have been waiting quite a while to unleash Paul Alamoti on opposition sides.

The centre weighs in at 99kgs, a stocky figure at just 178cm tall, and has been a nightmare for both Canberra and Cronulla after starting both trial games.

Beating out Braidon Burns for a spot in the side, Alamoti will be a key player in the race for Dally M Rookie of the Year.

Expect a flourishing combination on the left as Canterbury look to pack maximum strength, speed and skill on the edge, surrounding the rookie with premiership-winners Viliame Kikau, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton.

Jacob Preston​

Alamoti isn't the only debutant confirmed for the Bulldogs' opening round line-up to face the Sea Eagles, with young back-rower Jacob Preston set to be included on the bench.

A hardworking edge forward stuck behind Viliame Kikau and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, club supremo Phil Gould certainly believes in the youngster.

“I think he is a potential leader of this club,” Gould told The Daily Telegraph.

“I think he is in the Josh Jackson mould in work ethic and professionalism.

“He will go a long in this game and I'd love it to be at the Bulldogs for as long as possible.”

While a starting spot looks almost certainly out of reach, Preston will face the Sea Eagles next weekend in the first of many NRL games to come.

Paul Alamoti​

Likened to Sonny Bill Williams in terms of his immense physicality at a young age, Canterbury have been waiting quite a while to unleash Paul Alamoti on opposition sides.

The centre weighs in at 99kgs, a stocky figure at just 178cm tall, and has been a nightmare for both Canberra and Cronulla after starting both trial games.

Beating out Braidon Burns for a spot in the side, Alamoti will be a key player in the race for Dally M Rookie of the Year.

Expect a flourishing combination on the left as Canterbury look to pack maximum strength, speed and skill on the edge, surrounding the rookie with premiership-winners Viliame Kikau, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton.

Jacob Preston​

Alamoti isn't the only debutant confirmed for the Bulldogs' opening round line-up to face the Sea Eagles, with young back-rower Jacob Preston set to be included on the bench.

A hardworking edge forward stuck behind Viliame Kikau and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, club supremo Phil Gould certainly believes in the youngster.

“I think he is a potential leader of this club,” Gould told The Daily Telegraph.

“I think he is in the Josh Jackson mould in work ethic and professionalism.

“He will go a long in this game and I'd love it to be at the Bulldogs for as long as possible.”

While a starting spot looks almost certainly out of reach, Preston will face the Sea Eagles next weekend in the first of many NRL games to come.
Whoever they put out will be thrashed by our boys .Hoping every week we don't have any injuries or just minimal . I was at the final round last year and it was not a happy evening with the rain and got beaten at the end , so we will show them the real Manly this Saturday .Maaaaaaaaaaanly .

Big crowd
Loads of confidence

Good

Possible showers

Bad

Should win , BUT if it’s wet , toss a coin.

Very wary of the old ambush here. One of the Approved NRL Narratives for Season 2023 is the fairytale rebirth of the Bulldogs (it's amazing what a truckload of poker machine cash can do for a club!), and if we're not careful we could find the game gets taken away from us. Trial form and good vibes will mean nothing if we get pumped at Brookvale in the first round. And when was the last time we won our opening game?

:fire: indeed :)

In 2021, I don't think we won more than three games in a row* and we had no wins against top four teams, indicating we weren't a serious title threat. If the stars align injury-wise, it could be a much different scenario in 2023.

It always bothered me after 2021 when people kept saying we didnt have any wins against top 4 teams.
1. we finished 4th, so its only the top 3 teams we had issues with.
2. we beat the Eels twice that season, and if they had won both they would have finished 4th, so technically we did beat a team that otherwise would have finished top 4.

It always bothered me after 2021 when people kept saying we didnt have any wins against top 4 teams.
1. we finished 4th, so its only the top 3 teams we had issues with.
2. we beat the Eels twice that season, and if they had won both they would have finished 4th, so technically we did beat a team that otherwise would have finished top 4.
We played 4 games against the 3 teams that finished above us. Yes we lost them all. We also beat the Roosters and the Eels twice to beat them out for 4th spot. It's a shortsighted small sample size stat that has been cherry picked to diminish how good Manly was in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6