Manly - Storm rematch - in Perth?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Who said:
Darren said:
I'm sorry we have to move games away but it's obviously financial alone. If we had a stadium like the Broncos we wouldn't need to move but we don't have the earning capacity. This looks to be our future unless we can generate more cash.

If we start moving more games from Brookvale (having already surrended two to Bluetongue) then we also risk the chance of losing more games and, thus, missing out on finals. The prime reason we have made the finals in the past seven seasons is our unmatched success at Brookie. So, not only do you alienate fans like me you also risk financial returns which come from making finals and winning grand finals.
Why do you think Souths and Canterbury fans want to return to their home grounds? They want home ground advantage which increases their chances of making finals.
Everybody here has talked about Manly's culture, and how Canterbury has tried to buy it. Clubs would do anything to have a Brookie Oval advantage.
If we start selling out then we may as well give up our culture.

Bluetongue Record - 8 from 9
Suncorp Record is pretty good as well

Unfortunately to keep our club going this is going to happen.
There was an article floating around after the Brisbane game about the difference money made and it was astonishing.
Yes we are the life blood of the club but without doing stuff like this Manly will go the way of Norths, Newtown etc

The Who said:
What should Penn do, you ask?
He should tell the WA Government that they can have their pick of Manly games - except the one against Melbourne, for reasons I have stated.

Or the game against the dogs. these are 2 games which must remain at brookie.

Take the game against souths instead who probably rate in WA.

I like the idea of us taking a game to Perth its good for the code and our brand exposure but we shouldn't take marque match ups like this one away from brookvale. Do we play north Queensland at home this year? That would be the game I take away and market it the Nrls best team (us) against the worlds best player ( thurston) I see some **** on here that we're broke we're not broke but we Do want to be profitable so we can continue to be the bench mark we are on field.

Big rap for perry for looking outside the box but this one is the answer.

Why can't we just move our home game to suncorp again.

Cambo said:
I like the idea of us taking a game to Perth its good for the code and our brand exposure but we shouldn't take marque match ups like this one away from brookvale. Do we play north Queensland at home this year? That would be the game I take away and market it the Nrls best team (us) against the worlds best player ( thurston) I see some s**t on here that we're broke we're not broke but we Do want to be profitable so we can continue to be the bench mark we are on field.

Big rap for perry for looking outside the box but this one is the answer.

Why can't we just move our home game to suncorp again.

Actually said last night on twitter to some to take the Cowboys game there.

Probably a poor choice of words on my half there Cambo but we shouldn't want the owners forking out money hand over fist yearly.

Lose to the Storm in Perth and miss the Top 8 or Top 4 by 2 points and whatever extra Manly made from going to Perth gets undone by what is lost on finals income and maybe a grand final win.

I don't envy the job they have to do but I hope they are not just comparing $ from a Brookvale game to $ from a Perth game.

I'm a member so i can go to Brookvale and watch the marquee games like the Storm. They've taken the Tigers and Broncos games in recent years away from Brookie, if they now take the Storm game as well they're treating the diehard fans like crap.

If they keep taking these blockbuster games away from Brookie I'l be thinking twice about renewing my membership. Just not good enough IMO.

ManlyBacker said:
Taking the Storm game to WA may be smart financially but it is just one further step in alienating those that do turn up at Brookie.

So you'd rather see us go broke just as long as you can watch every game at Brookie?

the mauler said:
I'm a member so i can go to Brookvale and watch the marquee games like the Storm. They've taken the Tigers and Broncos games in recent years away from Brookie, if they now take the Storm game as well they're treating the diehard fans like crap.

If they keep taking these blockbuster games away from Brookie I'l be thinking twice about renewing my membership. Just not good enough IMO.

I'm a member so I can see Manly play NRL each week.
And if it means by moving some games to Timbucktu to help the club pay some bills by all means.

wamf, that is absolutely correct, take out Penn and we are the Jets/Bears, pure and simple. Leagues club makes zip, ground doesn't have many corporates and old and worn out and 5500 members (with pets) The sooner people realise we are a financial duck the better. How long will Penn and co "top" up 1 million plus every year and heavens knows if we have a bad season then we are up the gurgler.

Very smart decision by the club to take a game to Perth. Absolute terrible decision to make it the Melbourne game. The most logical game should have been Round 7 vs Titans or even the home game against the Raiders.

You blokes are dreaming if you think the WA Govt's offer included a free choice to Manly on which game they transfer to Perth. As promoter and underwriter, they are going to want the game that will draw the best crowd in order to cover their costs of staging the event (including the guaranteed profit to Manly).

The WA Govt probably wanted the Bulldogs game and Manly have done well to convince them to take the Melbourne game instead without reducing the value of the deal.

Wasn't there talk of 'Home suncorp game making the club $500,000.

If Storm at Perth can make a million. Bluetongue must be a good earner too to keep that game over Suncorp.

Unfortunately until brookie games are packed rain, hail, shine taking attractive games away is the reality we face.

eagles2win said:
The Who said:
Darren said:
I'm sorry we have to move games away but it's obviously financial alone. If we had a stadium like the Broncos we wouldn't need to move but we don't have the earning capacity. This looks to be our future unless we can generate more cash.

If we start moving more games from Brookvale (having already surrended two to Bluetongue) then we also risk the chance of losing more games and, thus, missing out on finals. The prime reason we have made the finals in the past seven seasons is our unmatched success at Brookie. So, not only do you alienate fans like me you also risk financial returns which come from making finals and winning grand finals.
Why do you think Souths and Canterbury fans want to return to their home grounds? They want home ground advantage which increases their chances of making finals.
Everybody here has talked about Manly's culture, and how Canterbury has tried to buy it. Clubs would do anything to have a Brookie Oval advantage.
If we start selling out then we may as well give up our culture.

Bluetongue Record - 8 from 9
Suncorp Record is pretty good as well

Unfortunately to keep our club going this is going to happen.
There was an article floating around after the Brisbane game about the difference money made and it was astonishing.
Yes we are the life blood of the club but without doing stuff like this Manly will go the way of Norths, Newtown etc

I understand both arguments being put forward but a GF replay against the Warriors surely would have been attractive to the WA govt as well. Perth has a large Kiwi population so they would have been guaranteed a big crowd.

Can someone please confirm whether we are guaranteed 10 games at Brookvale each season? That's my understanding.

Mals said:
I understand both arguments being put forward but a GF replay against the Warriors surely would have been attractive to the WA govt as well. Perth has a large Kiwi population so they would have been guaranteed a big crowd.
That is true but Perth has an even bigger Eastern state population which is ultimately what guarantees NRL sell outs in Perth.
If the WA Govt are paying OVERS to bring the 2011 Premiers (and hopefully WCC) over for a match, then they want a marketers dream and Manly V Melb with all the bad blood and history, delivers in spades!

Mals said:
Can someone please confirm whether we are guaranteed 10 games at Brookvale each season? That's my understanding.

As far I understand it, that is correct.

So our 2 home games we loose from Brookie this year are round 2, and looking like round 15.

Aside from the gain in revenue, isn't there a bigger point being missed?

The NRL wants to widen the game and bring in new markets. This is a test of the viability of having a team in Perth (yep, tried before, but the game is more united now).

If bringing a team from WA into the mix with an expanded comeptition brings more revenue overall to the game and generates a wider audience for Rugby League, I'm all for it. We are strong enough to handle this and win the game. And personally, I'd rather spend the $$ on a flight to Perth than to the UK for the WCC - that is a toy game fraught with injury danger.

If we just concentrate on our small patch, then it could be a slow, slow death for some teams. And I don't want to be one of them. In fact, I don't want any of them to loose out.

Why don't they give Perth a grand final rematch and take the warriors game over there.

Manly v Melbourne was one of the highlights of last season and it was because of the atmosphere at brookvale. You are not going to get that in Perth. I'll repeat it once again I'm
All for us playing in Perth it's a great idea but I just think they are moving the wrong game.

So lets play in the NSW cup (see how that is working out for Wests) or accept that with an ageing ground there are tough choices to be made

Yep it sucks that that it is the Storm game they are going to move. But if moves like this mean that my 3 year old son will have a team to support when he is older then I am all for it

Come to think of it he would not whinge as much as some of you lot

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7