Manly should only improve in 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We got rolled through the forwards Mark and completely dominated there.

Turbo, DCE and Foz can’t play with freedom if there is no ‘go forward’, ‘quick play the balls’ and keeping the other team on the back foot.

The old saying mate.. forwards with the game while the backs score the points.
So from 2021 to 2022 we have

Sirronen to Bullemor

And Andrew Davey back.

A slight , but only marginal , improvement.

With Marty’s $850k we really need to be targeting an absolute gun take no prisoners forward in 2023.

It’ll never be a moot point, cause it’s been shown by the Storm how easy it is to contain Turbo.
My point isn’t just about injury - what’s changed between when the top 3 teams neutralised Turbo in the big games?…

Records speak for themselves… and we are abysmal without Turbo.

Take Cleary out of the Panthers, they can still win.
Take Papi out of the storm and they can still win.
Take Lattrell out of the Rabbits and they can still win.

Our side needs to be more balanced in the spine so when 1 player is out we aren’t a walk over.

That’s why I’d like to see Croker and Foz moved aside. They are doing an ok job but without Turbo they can’t win games by themselves.
Time for a true 9 (I’d wished Fainu would come back but sounds like that’s not happening) and Schuster to take the 6.
I agree with most of what you say mate….for mine I think the reason South’s & the Storm nullified Trbo was due to our forwards not lifting & protecting him. Both the Storm & South’s powered thru our forwards which didn’t help Trbo’s game yet he still managed 100 plus meters against both! In the short periods our forwards matched or dominated the other packs we scored points. Had they been alert & able to step up I believe we’d have had better results. I understand the team can’t rely on Trbo & we need someone who can fill that spot if he gets injured. For mine Garrick is that man. He stepped up this season & produced a couple of good meter gaining efforts when Trbo was on rep duty. His positional play improved also as did his defence. Rather than putting Centres onto the wing to cover when he plays FB we have a couple of youngsters who can fill in for him….Koula & Tuipulotu. Minimal disruption & avoid the temptation to put Walker into Centre & Parker onto the wing. Obviously if there are more injuries it changes things but for when Tom is out it’s the way I’d go.
I believe our forward pack will have more power with the addition of Bully….Davey back fit & healthy will add even more. I’m unsure about the Centres yet…..I still believe Walker should be there but for team balance he’s our best 14. I guess we’ll see what transpires in the first few rounds next year.

Sirronen to Bullemor

And Andrew Davey back.

With Marty’s $850k we really need to be targeting an absolute gun take no prisoners forward in 2023.
If the rumours of us talking to Junior Paulo are true then wow we’d have the best & scariest pack in the NRL. My preferred team next year:-
Tom
Saab
Harper
Parker
Garrick
Schuster
DCE
Paseka
Croker
Keppie
Olakau’atu
Bullemore
Jake
Res: Walker, Marty, Aloiai, Davey
Foran, Sipley, Koula, Sione Fainu

Last edited:
Souths Storm and the Panthers were the benchmarks that exposed our weaknesses

and without Toms dominance we were firing blanks

Hopefully Des can make the change that is required to change for the better

Because without change Nothing changes
I believe we exposed their weaknesses once we were in full flight. Unfortunately lack of experience & go forward let us down. I don’t think any of the 3 teams mentioned will repeat their efforts against us. I believe we can beat all 3 & beat them well. We now know what is required & the younger brigade will have more determination now that they’ve experienced the euphoria of finishing 4th & playing finals.

The improvement I want to see is the team stand up under adversity from the top teams and grind out wins against them.

We can score for fun, that is not the issue. Our defence is not consistent and we need to improve.

We need to see others step up and compliment our guns.

2022 is going to be a challenge as we now have expectation of a top 4 finish and we will become the hunted more and more.

The ingredients are there. the hard work has become.

There is no reason why we cannot be better in 2022! Time to prove it!

It’s a good assessment but I think to improve the team needs more pace in the centre’s , Parker goes alright he is first grade standard with effort , Maybe the enigma that is Walker returns to centre but I think Des has already got his plan for him which leaves Koula to maybe grab that spot I’d stick with Harper he could develop into a real good centre and he is a little quicker than Parker
All in all a minimal injury toll will put Manly into the mix for a spot in the GF

The “ why” even with Turbo firing on all 16 cylinders, we didn’t do better against any of the three that finished above us this year is the crucial point.

There’s no point at all beating teams 5-16 most of the year but falling in a heap against teams 1-3 , and we did so at EVERY opportunity in 2021.

Although we did beat the Eels when they were 4th but they were at the start of their slide backwards so I doubt we can count that.

The ease at which South’s , Storm and Panthers beat us is the real worry.
Agree. That grinding type win was lacking as well. I still question the mental toughness on field. Losing to both the Raiders and Knights this year come to mind as winnable games where they just weren't up for fight this week.
We flat track bullies who can win by 50. But just don't like the type of games where we need to win by 2.

If the rumours of us talking to Junior Paulo are true then wow we’d have the best & scariest pack in the NRL. My preferred team next year:-
Tom
Saab
Harper
Parker
Garrick
Schuster
DCE
Paseka
Croker
Keppie
Olakau’atu
Bullemore
Jake
Res: Walker, Marty, Aloiai, Davey
Foran, Sipley, Koula, Sione Fainu
That’s a premiership winning team right there!👍

Sirronen to Bullemor

And Andrew Davey back.

I think Keppie, Paseka and Olakau'atu will develop well in 2022. They’ll be playing with a lot more confidence than 2021. Aloiai will be our mongrel along with Keppie. No one will want to run at Olakau'atu. Bullemor will add speed around the ruck and the ‘go forward’.

Of all the forwards for 2022, I think Marty will be the least feared and that’s a great sign.

I still think 2023 will be our year but, we could surprise (barring injuries). The forwards just need to dominate.

Davey will be a welcome inclusion.

I'm certain Manly will be a better side, there is great continuity and a number of young players who will naturally be stronger. Motivation won't be a problem.
As Mark says, the question will be how much ground we can make up on the top sides. I can see a couple of them slipping just a touch, so I'm quite confident we'll be in it up to our eyeballs.

For me, it doesn’t matter how good your team is, if you’re spine isn’t top notch then you won’t convert to points.
All those players will get better, no doubt. Some might suffer 2nd year syndrome also…

Turbo is too bigger part of our spine. We need more options when he’s taken out of the picture either by injury or the opposition.
I like your thoughts - in both posts and I am both a Foz fan and respect the improvement of Croker - but like you - I want the Seaeagles to win the Comp

I like your thoughts - in both posts and I am both a Foz fan and respect the improvement of Croker - but like you - I want the Seaeagles to win the Comp
I like you thoughts as well @maxta and I like all your passionate Manly posts

Perspective time
I am also a fan of Foz who at his best was an elite player but he is slower now and past his best and he is up against players at their peak that the top sides have . Walker , Munster Jarome Luai Keary

I also respect the improvement of Croker but even at Crokers best he is no where near up there with the best dominant hookers that the top sides have Grant , Smith , Cook , Api

I also want nothing more for us to win the comp . Its been a long time that our Legendary club has been honoured and lived up to its high standards and addition of players that are capable to do the job will do just that

And we still lack two quality centres.top 4 maybe
Parker is a capable defender but a liability in Attack .Parker has been playing NRL for 7 years since 2016 and what we see is what we will get from Parker and what we see is a predictable and pedestrian back and in order for us to over come the no Tom no Manly points we need a centre who is competent in both attack and defence .

Harper has more flair and potential and hopefully in his second year in the NRL he will be capable of stepping up another gear

Koula is the Mystery X factor and the arrival of the next great Manly centre all Manly fans have been waiting for along time

Perspective time
I am also a fan of Foz who at his best was an elite player but he is slower now and past his best and he is up against players at their peak that the top sides have . Walker , Munster Jarome Luai Keary

I also respect the improvement of Croker but even at Crokers best he is no where near up there with the best dominant hookers that the top sides have Grant , Smith , Cook , Api

I also want nothing more for us to win the comp . Its been a long time that our Legendary club has been honoured and lived up to its high standards and addition of players that are capable to do the job will do just that
There's more to it than just buying better players.
Twice back in the early 80s Manly had wall-to-wall internationals but lost out to the Eels who had blokes like Stan Jurd, Paul Taylor and Steve Sharp. In our last 2 premiership wins we’ve relied on players like Hall, Robertson, Bryant, Mauro, Rose, L’Estrange… all good players and of course Sea eagle legends but not exactly star rep players.

It’s a team game, getting the team mix right is more important than stacking your side with stars. We aren't far off at all. Even with Foran, Parker and Croker!

Perspective time

Very fair summary - the boys in question will need to step up in those big games...I mean Foz had a pretty good damn season, but in those big games against that Top 3....he was still solid, but did not really add any thrust or impact.
To a degree these blokes in the spine were likely negated to a degree as our forwards were dominated in these key games, but need more from these key positions if to be a genuine threat come Finals footy.

There's more to it than just buying better players.
Twice back in the early 80s Manly had wall-to-wall internationals but lost out to the Eels who had blokes like Stan Jurd, Paul Taylor and Steve Sharp. In our last 2 premiership wins we’ve relied on players like Hall, Robertson, Bryant, Mauro, Rose, L’Estrange… all good players and of course Sea eagle legends but not exactly star rep players.

It’s a team game, getting the team mix right is more important than stacking your side with stars. We aren't far off at all. Even with Foran, Parker and Croker!
As a kid watching these games Ser8 it still haunts me a little.....must confess the Eels were a powerhouse in this era...unfortunately...
You are 100% right with the fact a good team will always beat a team of good players also.
That Eels pack was littered with hard workers who simply had to get down and dirty and uphold their end of the bargain best they could, though that Price had that BK type effect and was a great Warrior type leader....and that Eels backline were still to this day imo, the slickest machine I have witnessed at the Top level and every time Kenny or Groth got the ball I was scared stupid.
Phil Blake was my absolute hero at the time, but the Eels were simply too good and I think if Manly Win the 82 and 83 GF, Phil Blake would have gone on to be anything....he was a confidence player and I reckon this period of footy broke him and though a dynamic player at times, never really recovered or forfilled his potential imo.
So yes I agree the "Team" needs to get it together as a priority, but Foz and Crokes need to add more in the big games due to the importance of the 9 and 6 to provide some big plays when the opportunity arises.

As a kid watching these games Ser8 it still haunts me a little.....must confess the Eels were a powerhouse in this era...unfortunately...
You are 100% right with the fact a good team will always beat a team of good players also.
That Eels pack was littered with hard workers who simply had to get down and dirty and uphold their end of the bargain best they could, though that Price had that BK type effect and was a great Warrior type leader....and that Eels backline were still to this day imo, the slickest machine I have witnessed at the Top level and every time Kenny or Groth got the ball I was scared stupid.
Phil Blake was my absolute hero at the time, but the Eels were simply too good and I think if Manly Win the 82 and 83 GF, Phil Blake would have gone on to be anything....he was a confidence player and I reckon this period of footy broke him and though a dynamic player at times, never really recovered or forfilled his potential imo.
So yes I agree the "Team" needs to get it together as a priority, but Foz and Crokes need to add more in the big games due to the importance of the 9 and 6 to provide some big plays when the opportunity arises.

Haha yeah I recall back in those days i'd privately do my own version of YART and always conclude Manly should win, hats off to those Eels we really owe them another grand final beating. It's no secret their star backline set them apart but it was really the balance and blend in the side that got them there I think. Sterling has always been a tad underrated I suspect because he wasn't a speedster but he was important in their 'mix'.
In a similar way I think the current version of Foran might be crucial to Manly this year. Doesn't have the capacity for individual brilliance that Schuster might have but his leadership and on-field general role will probably be just as important as DCE to keep us working as a team.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4