Manly Sea Eagles v NZ Warriors Round 21

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
eelcatcher said:
Hey WAMF, just curious how often do you go to Manly games in Oz (or occasionally NZ)? Is this the first time you get to go to Manly game in your area? Must be exciting eh?

I haven't been to many games in the last 2 seasons but prior to that I flew east on avg 5 times a season for Manly games. In 2007 I managed to make 9 games incl all the semis and the GF.

Yes, very exciting that the Sea Eagles are coming all this way to play
Subiaco oval is literally 5 mins from my house. How convenient!

WAMF said:
eelcatcher said:
Hey WAMF, just curious how often do you go to Manly games in Oz (or occasionally NZ)? Is this the first time you get to go to Manly game in your area? Must be exciting eh?

I haven't been to many games in the last 2 seasons but prior to that I flew east on avg 5 times a season for Manly games. In 2007 I managed to make 9 games incl all the semis and the GF.

Yes, very exciting that the Sea Eagles are coming all this way to play
Subiaco oval is literally 5 mins from my house. How convenient!

Enjoy it WAMF! Glad you got a game in Perth after the decision was made not to play the game against the Storm in WA.

Sea Eagles v Warriors preview

Manly Sea Eagles v Warriors
Patersons Stadium, Perth
Saturday 5.30pm (local)

What a difference a year makes: last year’s grand finalists – each coming off the back of worrying two-match losing streaks – lock horns in Perth with the loser either fading from the top-four frame or else falling into do-or-die territory in the battle for a berth in this year’s rapidly approaching finals series.

The Sea Eagles have spent the week licking their wounds after having their wings clipped 20-12 by the Bulldogs in an enthralling, Origin-intensity encounter at their Brookvale base last Friday night. Meanwhile the Warriors have indulged in some soul-searching following their capitulation to the Knights in Auckland last Saturday after they led the Novocastrians by 18 points before folding to lose 24-19.

Manly enter the clash in outright seventh position just two competition points ahead of the Wests Tigers and two wins ahead of a raft of five teams – including the Warriors – who are struggling to keep their heads above water with six games remaining.

While Manly have some breathing space in the overall finals picture, needing to win just three of their final games to guarantee a spot in the top eight, they probably need to win at least four to push for the elite top four.

Meanwhile the Warriors need a minimum four wins from their remaining six just to figure past Round 26. In their favour is the fact they are the highest-ranked of the teams outside the playoffs zone.

This match triggers a horror fortnight for the premiers who will rack up oodles of frequent flyer points – no sooner do they hit the ground from the 7,000-kilometre round trip to Perth than they’ll be back in the air headed for Townsville to take on the Cowboys in Round 22. (Mind you, the Warriors will spend eight hours in the air just to get to Perth… could jetlag be an issue for them?)

Manly coach Geoff Toovey has named an unchanged 17 this week, adding Vic Mauro and Daniel Harrison to form an extended interchange of six players at this stage.

It’s a massive occasion for ‘The Beast’ Manu Vatuvei who returns to take control of the Warriors following Simon Mannering’s ankle injury. Mannering’s unavailability sees Ben Henry shift from centre to second row, with Lewis Brown named to partner Konrad Hurrell in the three-quarters.

It’s also a huge game for Manly co-captain Jamie Lyon who is poised to make his 200th NRL appearance (70 for Parramatta, 129 for Manly).

Watch Out Sea Eagles: ‘Special K’ is back! Steve Matai will have his work cut containing rookie sensation Konrad Hurrell who has scored 12 tries and punctured 12 line-breaks in 13 games. The 20-year-old averages more than five tackle busts a game – meanwhile Matai has missed the third-most tackles by any centre.

Halfback Shaun Johnson created plenty of headaches for Manly last time they met; he was involved in all of the Warriors’ tries, creating three and scoring the other. This season both he and five-eighth James Maloney have recorded 30 try assists, trailing only Melbourne’s Cooper Cronk and Gareth Widdop for most by any halves pairing in the league.

While Manly hooker Matt Ballin is used to a huge workload in defence (806 tackles, most by any player), if the Warriors work him over early it could leave the No.9 fatigued and present opportunities on the fringes of the ruck. Ballin has missed three tackles a game so far, the second most by a hooker.

Danger Sign: Manly’s defenders need to get to Feleti Mateo in numbers to stop his sneaky offloads to supports. Mateo leads the league for offloads (38); they’ve helped him make 14 line-break assists – the most by any forward – as well as eight try assists. The Sea Eagles need to wrap up Mateo before he raises and frees his ball-carrying arm. Or else.

Watch Out Warriors: The Kiwis will still be having nightmares about Tony Williams aiming up at them back in Round 1. ‘T-Rex’ made 18 hit-ups and pounded out 152 metres with 11 tackle busts and a try – Shaun Johnson in particular will be having night sweats in the lead-up given he’s averaging almost four missed tackles per game. He will be a prime target as Williams winds up.

Jamie Lyon will be out to leave his stamp in his 130th game for the maroon and white since joining the club in 2007. Lyon remains the sixth-most prolific scorer in club history (712 points) and combining his time at Parramatta has amassed 88 try assists, 87 tries and 83 line-breaks for 130 victories in his 199 career games. He’ll be optimistic about his chances of adding to those numbers given the Warriors have leaked 34 tries through their left-edge defence (third most by any side).

Danger Sign: The Warriors need to show some urgency in regrouping any time they turn over the football given they’ve conceded the most tries from turnovers this year. Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran will be quick to counter-attack.

Kieran Foran v James Maloney: If Manly are to go back to back they need Kieran Foran to create more opportunities in the No.6 – and we’re expecting him to up the pace from here to the finals. Against the Bulldogs Foran was more involved than he has been in ages, running the ball nine times for 102 metres, making a line-break and promoting second phase on a couple of occasions. Look for him to seek out Steve Matai and Jamie Buhrer with short balls on the left edge. Meanwhile Maloney has found open space more than any pivot (11 line busts) and ranks second for try assists in his position (13).

Where It Will Be Won: Holding out the opposition’s flashy attack. Both teams have disappointed with their defence in 2012, ranking equal second worst for missed tackles (35 per game).

Also, defending attacking kicks will be crucial – Manly are having huge problems reading and defusing kicks, having conceded a whopping 23 tries off the boot (four more than the next-worst sides). The Warriors have let in 14 tries from kicks.

The History: Played 22; Sea Eagles 15, Warriors 7. Manly certainly have the wood over the Warriors, winning seven of the past eight clashes. They’ve also won eight of the past nine ‘home’ games played away from Brookvale Oval.

The Last Time They Met: In a rematch of the 2011 NRL decider, Manly defeated the Warriors 26-20 at Mt Smart Stadium in Round 1.

The premiers looked like they’d get the job done easily when they raced to a 16-nil lead inside 22 minutes courtesy of tries to David Williams, Daly Cherry-Evans and Steve Matai. However the home side struck back with rapid-fire tries to Manu Vatuvei (30th minute) and Shaun Johnson (34th minute), leaving Manly with a six-point buffer at the halftime break.

The maroon and white surged ahead just three minutes after the resumption of play when Tony Williams crossed from close range off an inside pass from dummy-half, before Kevin Locke added to the Warriors’ tally cleaning up a cross-field bomb on the half hour.

Vatuvei made it a 22-20 scoreline with 12 minutes remaining when he crossed for his second try, capturing Shaun Johnson’s long cut-out pass that took a deflection off a desperate intercept attempt from David Williams. The try came immediately after Manly was reduced to 12 men following hooker Matt Ballin’s sin-binning for a second-effort tackle on Lewis Brown after the man in possession had gotten to his feet 20 metres out following a long break.

Glenn Stewart was the final try-scorer, benefitting from Kevin Locke’s fumble of a Cherry-Evans grubber from close to the goal line to touch down eight minutes from the fulltime siren.
However, the victory came at a cost for the premiers, who lost Glenn Stewart to a broken thumb as well as Steve Matai to a broken wrist.

Both sides looked rusty in their first NRL hit-outs for 2012; each continually handed over possession, with the Warriors making 19 errors and Manly 15, while missed tackles were also a concern for the respective coaches (Warriors 44, Sea Eagles 37).

However, there were encouraging signs from Shaun Johnson, who contributed three try assists for the beaten side.

Manly were best served by second-rower Tony Williams and co-captain Jamie Lyon, who gave the final pass for David Williams to score his first try, as well as adding 139 metres and a line-break.

Match Officials: Referees – Jared Maxwell & Allan Shortall; Sideline Officials – Luke Potter & Henry Perenara; Video Referee – Pat Reynolds.

The Way We See It: Manly showed enough fight last week to suggest they have more purpose and resolve than the Warriors whose capitulation against the Knights has some serious alarm bells ringing across the ditch. Still, the Warriors won’t be pushovers here, with the squad likely to lift for popular team-mate Vatuvei. Plus their past five defeats have been by 10 points or less. However, Simon Mannering’s absence is a major blow to a side that struggles to defend consistently. Sea Eagles by six points.

Televised: Fox Sports 2 – Live 7.30pm.
http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-v-warriors-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/68860/default.aspx

Two interesting points:
1. We are by far the worst of all teams at defending kicks. Hence all the debate about Jorge.
2. With Vatevui captain, when Jamie tosses the coin do you think he'll call Rocks or Diamonds?

Hope there's lots of wamfs there on Saturday.

Is there much talk about it in the local media mate?

Cameron said:
Hope there's lots of wamfs there on Saturday.

Is there much talk about it in the local media mate?

There's been a bit of talk and a few ads on TV.
Hopefully the club has organised some media ops with radio and local tv stations to help market the game that should smash the WA record for a rugby league crowd, currently at around 15,600 (Sths vs Broncs)
I think there will probably be 20,000 + in attendance at Subiaco on Sat.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10821889&ref=rss

The Perth trip will be a smash and grab raid, with the Warriors flying in - a rare trip in business class to minimise the travel effects - and then hopping on the first available flight out to begin recovery at home ahead of the following Saturday's match against the Sharks at Mt Smart Stadium.

"Our research over the years says it's best if we get in as late as we can and get out as early as we can," McClennan said. "We've got our backs against the wall here. We've got to go over there and perform well against Manly - a side that have bullied us over the years.

"We'll get good support in Perth. There are a lot of Kiwis there and it will be nice to play in front of them. We're not dead, but we need to break a bit of a hoodoo against Manly."

Manly look for mojo against the Warriors

Reigning NRL premiers Manly will be desperate to revive their ailing premiership defence when they host the Warriors in a grand final rematch at Patersons Stadium on Saturday night.

The defending champions suffered a disappointing 20-12 loss to the Des Hasler-led Bulldogs in last Friday night's grudge match at Brookvale Oval, their fourth defeat in seven games.

But they are confident the trek west won't damage their chances, with chief operating officer David Perry declaring the club was excited about bringing the game to Perth.

"It will be challenging in terms of travel but the coaches will manage that," Perry said.

Another loss would hurt Manly's top-four chances and impact on their top-eight standing with the Bulldogs, Melbourne, South Sydney, North Queensland, Brisbane and Cronulla currently ahead of them.

Perry expects a 20,000-strong crowd as seventh-placed Manly attempt to consolidate a spot in the top eight. The Warriors are only four points behind in ninth with six rounds remaining.

"To be fair, both us and the Warriors are desperate and will be chasing a much-needed victory to push for a finals position," he said.

"We are both coming off a couple of losses and we have to concentrate on winning."

Perry has first-hand experience of rugby league in WA, having played for South Perth for a couple of seasons in the mid-1990s.

"I know how much interest there is in rugby league in WA and I'm a big supporter of the WA Rugby League campaign to get an NRL side," he said.

"WA has a strong rugby league support base that is pretty much untapped and we felt it would be good to tap into that market with this game.

"There is also a strong population of New Zealanders and we felt this would be the perfect game."

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey has named a near full-strength team and in a boost to the side has named full-back Brett Stewart on an extended bench.

Warriors captain and 164-game veteran Simon Mannering will miss his first NRL match in more than two years after injuring his right ankle in the 24-19 loss to Newcastle last Saturday.

Winger Manu Vatuvei, who will lead the side, needs two tries to become the first Warriors player to reach a century of NRL four-pointers.
Warriors coach Brian McClennan said Mannering's loss was a big blow because of the amount of work he put into a game.

Nick Taylor, The West Australian http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/14358867/manly-look-for-mojo-against-the-warriors/

A vital home game and we are playing it in Perth. Getting extra cash may be one thing but not much good if it costs you a finals berth or a vital top 4 spot. Bad decission here we should've just taken our upcoming Knights game to Bluetongue or indeed taken the Storm game to perth seeing as how we lost it anyway. I can't see us winning this one. Without Snake we are rudderless and I think DCE and Foz are suffering from 2nd yr syndrome. Add in the lazy defense we have shown all year and I reckon its Warriors by 8.

Toovey ready to hit the road

Time on the road will work in Manly's favour according to coach Geoff Toovey, who says the team has already proved they can travel.

The Sea Eagles face a gruelling itinerary over the next three weeks, facing the Warriors in Perth on Saturday, then the Cowboys in Townsville before meeting a red-hot Rabbitohs side at Bluetongue Stadium.

Much more @ http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Toovey-ready-to-hit-the-road/60078

Cherry-Evans looks to the west

Daly Cherry-Evans said that the 20-12 loss to the Bulldogs will only spur the Sea Eagles on as they head west to face the Warriors in Perth.

Cherry-Evans set up the first try for Jamie Lyon with an expertly weighted kick, and created plenty of pressure with a good kicking game all night.

Much more @ http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/CherryEvans-looks-to-the-west/59725

Injury Update: Snake still sidelined

Brett Stewart's hamstring injury is likely to rule him out of another week of football, with coach Geoff Toovey unwilling to risk his early return against the Warriors in Perth.

"I won't name him but we're going to take him over to Western Australia and obviously treat him over there," Toovey said.

"Obviously if pulls up ok and he's right to play we'll play him but we won't risk him."

Meanwhile Stewart's brother Glenn is looking to build on his strong return against the Bulldogs.

Glenn played the full 80 minutes after four weeks off due to a knee injury but says he's still got work to do.

"I'm not back to 100 per cent but each week hopefully I'll be getting better and closer to it."

Thanks to http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Injury-Update-Snake-still-sidelined/60063

mickqld said:
A vital home game and we are playing it in Perth. Getting extra cash may be one thing but not much good if it costs you a finals berth or a vital top 4 spot. Bad decission here we should've just taken our upcoming Knights game to Bluetongue or indeed taken the Storm game to perth seeing as how we lost it anyway. I can't see us winning this one. Without Snake we are rudderless and I think DCE and Foz are suffering from 2nd yr syndrome. Add in the lazy defense we have shown all year and I reckon its Warriors by 8.

Stop embarrassing yourself, Mick.

WAMF said:
mickqld said:

Thats a shame about 2nd year syndrome. Especially as it's Foran's 3rd or 4th year...

You are too harsh on Mick. Whenever he tips the opposition we win - the problem has been that he has been over-confident lately and the results are there to see. Like a negative Ryan prediction, Mick has guaranteed a big win. :cool:

Please Whare, Taufua & Wolfie if the ball is kicked in the air get underneath it attempt to catch it.

I'm more content with the catcher dropping the ball and trying to do something positive rather than letting it bounce and go anywhere.

Napper said:
WAMF said:
mickqld said:

Thats a shame about 2nd year syndrome. Especially as it's Foran's 3rd or 4th year...

Sorry I stand corrected on Foz, 3.5 yr syndrome. Seriously if we couldn't get ourselves up to beat that dog swill with all the emotion behind last weeks game at Brookie then I can't see us winning any of our next 3 games. With Snake out we are no chance.

I think we can get the warriors,souths without Inglis we are an even chance,we own the broncos both home and away and we will bash the knights at home.The two games I worry about are the Titans and Cows away.If the Titans are playing for a spot in the eight I dont really like our chances and the Cowboys will simply beat us as they always do at Dairyfarmers.I have been to too many beatings up there to give us any real chance against a real good side on their home turf ,yet at home i reckon we beat them well.

The most likely result is 3 or 4 wins which will put us in the 5 to 8 category.A fit roster and anything is possible from there.

What are we doing playing in WA?

Have a look at the WA sports pages & see if you can find one mention of Manly or Warriors. Just one. Good luck. http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport & http://www.watoday.com.au/sport

What are we doing playing in WA?

Have a look at the WA sports pages & see if you can find one mention of Manly or Warriors. Just one. Good luck. http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport & http://www.watoday.com.au/sport

Everyone should get over here to Wa,its gorgeous!
Tshirt weather,the beach is so white,dont know how they missed all the sharks:huh:
The West Lees.. station is right behind the Stadium.
Have spotted one Warriors jersey,but no Winners jersey yet:(

Cant wait for the Manly resurgence:p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4