Manly Sea Eagles struck by pay crisis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
willstyles link said:
Why is this even in the paper? There is absolutely nothing new there at all.

I'm fairly sure Ox will take the money on offer in the ESL. In my opinion, the only alternative would be if the Central Coast got a team for 2011 or 2012, whichever year the NRL are reassessing how many teams are in the comp, in which case he might push for a 1 or 2 year contract somewhere (maybe Manly, maybe ESL) and then sign on as the marquee player of his home area/junior area.

He's done everything he would have hoped for at Manly. Dally M medal, captained the team to a comp, he's ticked all the boxes - and deserves to cash in because of it. What I don't want to happen is for there to be a situation where he leaves the club on bad terms because he ends up deciding he wants to stay etc, but Manly don't want to pay him a certain amount.

I think he'll go though. And he'll leave as a popular captain who broke a fairly decent drought!

One more box remaining buddy, Rep honours!

But we won't go there. Clearly both sets of selectors have shown they have NFI.

deadlyeagle link said:
we cant simply sign him for just one year because :

Jason King
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Josh Perry
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough

*are all off contract end of 2010

and most of their contracts had been back ended.  It doesn't paint a pretty picture for 2011 though because most of these players will be asking overs bar Lyon who was already on high $$$.

and at the end of 2009 there are these off-contract players:

Adam Cuthbertson
Glenn Hall
Heath L'Estrange
Matt Orford

Who once again bar Orford will / should ask for more. So if Orford is going to stay he will stay for at least 2 years or none.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/darrylbradford/index.htm

Agree on most of those, but what has Cuthbo done to deserve an big increase?

And I would have added Watmough in that question, but he came good at the end of the year.

deadlyeagle link said:

Jason King
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Josh Perry
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough

and most of their contracts had been back ended.  It doesn't paint a pretty picture for 2011 though because most of these players will be asking overs bar Lyon who was already on high $$$.

Adam Cuthbertson
Glenn Hall
Heath L'Estrange
Matt Orford

Who once again bar Orford will / should ask for more. So if Orford is going to stay he will stay for at least 2 years or none.

It's a concern that's for sure with that in mind and that many coming off contact we just may have to start the rebuilding sooner than later but that will depend on who we resign ?? over the next few two years.

I think Cuthbo is on a fair crust at the moment already.... remember he was close to going to the Dogs or something at one stage, then played a blinder against the Tigers off the bench, the commentators raved about him and Rabs said he looked like Wombat with headgear on.....

A couple of weeks later he'd re-signed and you can bet he didn't stay for small biscuits....

There are certain things I think the club can do to sure up its ranks.

If Williams / Robertson want too much, one of them goes - player to fill in? Bani.

If Orford goes to The U.K., we could pick up say Carney for $250k given all his trouble, and we are still $250k in advance.

I know we all love Jason King, but I don't think a bench player is worth $220k, or whatever the reports were he is on. Fully fit, a younger George Rose may do the same job for around $80k IMO. In fact, we don't even need Jason King OR George Rose (se YART below). There's ANOTHER $300k.

With William Hopoate coming along as well, who would make a great Centre ALA Inglis, we can make room there.

Also, if Robertson / Matai want too much as well - enter Shane Neumann, who I still think will be a good player.

An early 2010 YART:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. William Hopoate
05. Michael Bani
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Todd Carney
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Tony Williams
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Glenn Hall
17. JW Hargraves

Do we need Chris Bailey? Dunno.
Do we need Shane Rodney? Dunno.

I think I have just moved enough cap.

Pass on Carney, but I like it other than that Ryan.

Although I suspect King would stay for less than he'd get elsewhere.

A 2010 YART in Jan 2009, well done Ryan. Although, it was expected ;)

I'm interested in knowing everyone's throughts on Le'Strange, he seems to fit the "under the radar" profile perfectly.

Fro link said:
[quote author=deadlyeagle link=topic=179075.msg205926#msg205926 date=1233184145]

Jason King
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Josh Perry
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough

Adam Cuthbertson
Glenn Hall
Heath L'Estrange
Matt Orford

Agree on most of those, but what has Cuthbo done to deserve an big increase?

And I would have added Watmough in that question, but he came good at the end of the year.
[/quote]

It will also depend on who we let go!

Cant see Both wingers staying, le'Strange will be able to get allot of dollars elsewhere at a full time position especially if we make another GF. Hall will ask for a big increase next year for being in the starting team.

Hopefully our teams mateship is worth more than the big $$$, and if the $$$ are worth more than mateship than 2011 really looks like our weakness / rebuilding phase unless we can buy and or grow some players in the coming years. This is where Managment and the scouting team really have to perform or else.

it depends if Hasler can sell a dynasty to these guys. I remember that early last year that both B Stewart and Watmough both said they want to be a one club player like Beaver. Who knows maybe Beavers action back in the early 00's will prove more than just keeping one player. If it creates a legacy of staying for less how can you repay that?

Zep link said:
it depends if Hasler can sell a dynasty to these guys. I remember that early last year that both B Stewart and Watmough both said they want to be a one club player like Beaver. Who knows maybe Beavers action back in the early 00's will prove more than just keeping one player. If it creates a legacy of staying for less how can you repay that?
Great post - those sort of things help to keep players especially when they are on good money. Not easy for the club and the reason why the comp has had so many winners over the past ten years.

It is a good post, but does anyone really expect that professional athletes when faced with the opportunity to make a lot more elsewhere wouldnt take it.

And I dont mean an extra 10k, sometimes it could be 100 grand difference.

Would you knock it back??

Having said that I'd be very happy to be wrong :)

As far as i know at the end of 09 we have the following off-contract

Orford
Le Strange
Cuthbertson
Hall
Robertson
& Williams

Now for mine, despite the panic some have shown, none of those guys are irreplaceble.

If Orford goes we would need to spend on someone like Carney or Pearce but as for the rest, we would be fine.

Remember for Hall and Cuthbo we have young Williams and Hargraves

For Robbo and Willaims we have Bani, Hoppa and Neuman

For le strage we have Bailey or young guys like Cherry-Evens and Hogdko

For mine we need to Secure a top line halfback for 09 (either Orford or a new signing) and then either re-sign some of the guys for reasonable money or ship em out bring in some bargin buys like we always do and combine them with our youngsters

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7