Manly Sea Eagles need to tell coach Geoff Toovey where he stands

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly Sea Eagles need to tell coach Geoff Toovey where he stands

March 6, 2015 - 2:00AM

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer, The Sydney Morning Herald

Geoff Toovey was driving out of the carpark at the Sea Eagles' Narrabeen headquarters on Thursday morning when a bunch of primary school children just couldn't help themselves.

"There needs to be an investigation!" they bellowed at the coach.

Bloody kids, although they do have a point: there needs to be an investigation in what's happening on the peninsula as halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans decide where their future rests, and questions continue to be asked if Toovey has a future at the club at all.

Deserving of better: Manly coach Geoff Toovey shouldn't be hearing about his club via the media.

Deserving of better: Manly coach Geoff Toovey shouldn't be hearing about his club via the media.

Toovey was furious at Fairfax Media reports on Saturday that Eels coach - and Toovey's former assistant at Manly - Brad Arthur had been approached about taking over for this season.

Those reports were correct.

Toovey was also furious at a throwaway line from this reporter in a tongue-in-cheek column on Tuesday, predicting he would be the first coach sacked.

That forecast was wrong, although the response sums up how touchy the issue is.

The word now is that Toovey will coach out this season, but that doesn't guarantee his job for the final year of his contract in 2016.

Typical of the Manly club - and perhaps the great game of rugby league - there is so much subterfuge floating around it's difficult to work out what's happening there.

We do know this: Toovey is at clearly at loggerheads with club management, which continues to say their coach has their full support, when in reality he does not.

The coach did not know that chief executive Joe Kelly had withdrawn the offer to Cherry-Evans after the player's management had failed to meet a deadline of midday on Monday.

Kelly has every right to pull the offer. It's a heartening sign he won't be played by managers. But he didn't tell his coach.

That was left to host Paul Kent on NRL 360 on Wednesday night.

Kent relayed the bizarre scene to the Big Sports Breakfast on Thursday morning.

"We were getting in our ear that it was reported Daly Cherry-Evans' offer had been withdrawn," Kent recalled. "We went to a break and Geoff Toovey said he didn't know if that was right."

Oh, it was right.

"Then we had word that Joe Kelly had actually confirmed it," Kent said. "I wrote on a piece of paper that Joe Kelly had confirmed it. You could just see the confusion in his eyes about what is going on at his club. He's finding out on air that his No.1 player is potentially about to leave the club."

How absurd that the first grade coach, who has done remarkably well in sorting out a messed up salary cap after Des Hasler stormed out in 2011, should learn about such an important contract decision via the media.

Not just via the media, but on air? Surely Toovey deserved better.

Kent also claimed Toovey told him after the show that if Cherry-Evans left it wouldn't necessarily ensure Foran could stay because the Manly offer could be increased.

Sea Eagles fans need to realise Foran isn't looking elsewhere because of the money. He wants to be a better footballer.

As current and former Manly players will tell you, Toovey is a basic coach. "Run hard, make a break, score a try is basically all he says," is how one player describes his methodology.

Certain elements at Manly are declaring Foran will stay. Others say he's headed to Parramatta. He maintains an incredibly close relationship with Arthur and they are in regular contact.

But don't discount the Bulldogs. Major powerbrokers at Belmore remain supremely confident they will reunite Foran and Hasler.

The Sea Eagles, though, are ready to move on without Cherry-Evans, who has been a polemic character for much of his time at the club. They wonder if he's worth a million a year.

Whether the vitriol directed at him is deserved or not, whether this very public negotiation process with other clubs is his fault or that of his manager Gavin Orr, it's difficult to recall a more maligned player within his own club.

Last year, I interviewed Cherry-Evans at length and found him to be articulate and engaging. Not the monster he'd been painted by others.

What shocked was how angrily his teammates reacted that a favourable - we'll call it balanced - profile story had been published.

Either way, something is amiss at Manly ahead of their first match of the season against Parramatta. Manly needs to let the coach know where he stands. He deserves it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...f-toovey-where-he-stands-20150305-13vvuc.html

It's going to be a long year.

Joe Kelly is really kicking some goals though isn't he?

Sounds like Foran is waiting for a guarantee that Tooves won't be the coach next year, before he will re-sign.

I wonder who the suits have in mind for a replacement for next season as it's pretty obvious that toovey (even though he has contract) will not be coaching the side in 2016. I'm thinking Penn wants 2 put the old band back together.

So because he is articulate and engaging he isn't acting like a spoiled prima dona. Plenty of horrible people through history were articulate and engaging. Doesn't make them good people.

If this is accurate then Joe Kelly doesn't understand our club.

If Foran is waiting for Toovey to be fired, then Foran can leave today.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this story, I take everything with a grain of salt nowadays when it comes to Manly, but if correct i am not a happy camper.

Basic coach? Sounds like Toovs is keeping it simple to me. The club brought in Andrew Johns to help with their development so this whole wanting to be a better footballer is complete BS. Look at how the Dogs/Souths/Roosters play...Big forwards running hard up the middle making metres with a potential offload and the backs feeding off that. How that translates into a complex and dynamic style of football is beyond me.

I don't know why we even bother turning up any more as it is obvious that everyone in the Manly organisation hates each other.

@Dan I could not agree more. Football is a very very simple game, which gets overcomplicated. Typically the team that runs and tackles harder will win the game (sure that's generalizing, but I would say on the whole that's the truth). What does Foran want? We have the 8th immortal as our halves coach. What is the issue with Tooves? Can anyone please explain that to me? Is he too direct with the players?

Like I've said previously I will always support Manly, but if Toovey gets shafted I will be letting my feelings be known to the Manly hierarchy.

So sticking with our tried and true formula of only having coaches who have played for Manly....if Tooves goes then that only narrows the field down to 2 - De$$ie or Cleary, unless they are thinking giving Willo a promotion (one hell of a promiscuous goat if that was the case).

I think Toovey can stand where he wants. If its in the box then great, if its down on the ground then great

I don't get why anyone would rate Arthur over Tooves. If coaching is based on results, look at what Toovey has achieved: finals every year, including a grand final we would have one if the Gods were on our side, just shy of the minor premiership last year. The idea seems to be that he inherited a good team (he did, but he also inherited one almighty ****storm to go with it) and has somehow underachieved. How does his winning percentage compare to other NRL coaches? I'm guessing pretty favourably.
He deserves better from Manly management. He also deserves better from his players. It'd be nice to see them rally around him and put in a strong start to the season.

There's obviously issues between Toovey and Kelly.

What happened to the "harmonious club" after the Penns took control? One **** up after another.

Take a moment to think about this. Who has more power at Manly - Joe Kelly the new CEO or the family that have majority control, the Penns. If the Penns want Toovey to stay at the club he will be there coaching again in 2016.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6