Manly sap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
I think I have read it all, but this gem from the Front Page of the SMH:

The saps Manly are pinning their hopes on

It looks unpleasant, tastes foul and is made from the bark of the French pine. But a glass of this gluggy liquid could be the secret to Manly's rugby league success, and a place in the finals.

The Sea Eagles finished 13th in the NRL last year but became the comeback kings after winning nine of their first 12 games this year. Then all of a sudden they started losing, slipping from the top of the ladder to eighth.

Part of the reason, the team's physiologist, Steve Dank, believes, is a herbal anti-inflammatory treatment called Lact-Away.

The exotic drink, which started as a treatment for racehorses and costs more than $300 a litre, promises to prevent muscle fatigue by helping reduce lactic acid build-up.

Dank put the team on the supplement at the start of the season, with most players drinking it about four hours before matches and in smaller doses during the week. Then he took them off it.

"The players said they did notice a difference when they weren't on it," he said. "You've just got to look at our second halves in the first 12 weeks. No side could touch us in the second half." In four of the nine victories, Manly trailed at half-time.

Although Manly are the only team in the NRL to use Lact-Away, the drink, which is approved by the Australian Sports Drug Agency, is popular in other sports. The AFL's Brisbane Lions use it, as does the boxer Kostya Tszyu.

The rights for Lact-Away are held by Sydneysiders Roger Davies and Vic Davidson, and they plan to sell the drink to the Chinese Sports Ministry.

Dank said the secret of the drink's restorative powers was its main ingredient, pycnogenol, which is found in tree bark and is also used to treat diabetes.

Another champion of the drink, the former Sydney Swan Troy Luff, said: "During games these days I still run out of puff in the lungs, but not in the legs.

"I've spoken to Aker [Brisbane Lion Jason Akermanis] about it, and he says he doesn't want to play without it again. I spoke to [Brisbane Lion] Michael Voss, who's had his injury problems, and he loves it."

Port Adelaide have also tried the drink but are less enthusiastic about it. "We won the premiership last year without using it, but we're using it this year and not winning," said their fitness manager, Darren Burgess. "But it does seem good for recovery."

The NRL's chief medical officer, Hugh Hazard, said while he had not heard of the product, the league would be "interested in reading any scientific papers about it".

Manly are now back on the supplement, in the hope it will give them the necessary edge for a place in the finals.

One thing is for sure - any victory won't taste sweet.

Their star forward Steve Menzies said: "It's pretty filthy stuff to take, for its taste and consistency, which is a bit like rhubarb stew.

"But it's pretty good with what it does to you. It helps with endurance."

If it enhancese perfrmance how can it not be a performanc enhancing drug?

"The exotic drink, which started as a treatment for racehorses"
I missed this bit! hehe :)

The cartoon in yesterday's SMH relating to cocaine in racing was a classic. It had a picture of a racehorse in the stable with a poster tacked on the wall "Drugs in Sport? Just say neigh!"

I thought that this was a joke article, until I saw it in teh SMH.

Lact-Away - what a ridiculous name.

yes lact-away tends to bring images of well I wouldnt drink it

jesus, we have a bunch of looneys playing!

**** if it works ( or if they think it works more to the point!) hold the ****ers down and pore it down their throats!

after all have you ever seen a tired TREE! :dance: :dance: :dance: 8D

after all have you ever seen a tired TREE! :dance: :dance: :dance: 8D

I haven't seen a tired tree but some of our front forwards lateral movement is about equal to the trees in my backyard.

Having said that one fell out of the ground last night and is currently laying prostrate on the ground. Maybe there is a likeness between trees and our front rowers.

the peninsular has been hit by falling trees due to high winds, the species most at risk is the "herbius Jasunious Kingsumis" which apparantly originated around the Brookvale area just out the back in the St Augustines playgrounds.

Ummmm maybe cause its not a drug.

a heap of things are performance enhancing without being banned.

Maybe its just a placebo anyway

[quote author=Daniel]

Ummmm maybe cause its not a drug.

a heap of things are performance enhancing without being banned.

Maybe its just a placebo anyway

[/quote]

ummm did you read the article?

When they say peformance enhancing DRUG it doesnt have to be a narcotic. A drug includes medicines, herbs etc.

Its aloose terminology to encompass all. How about then "performance enhancing substance" does that help sweety?

If you've got a headache, so you take a panadol, is that then not a performance enhancing substance?

Nearly everything would be banned under that theory. You're dehydrated, so you drink some water, no sorry it's performance enhancing.

Thank you Volley for providing some perspective,

and thank you Dan for your knee jerk reaction :)

Sweety!! I prefer snookums

If you've got a headache, so you take a panadol, is that then not a performance enhancing substance?

Nearly everything would be banned under that theory. You're dehydrated, so you drink some water, no sorry it's performance enhancing.

umm hello dude... some aspirins, cough medicines and others arebanned under this already.

Its not a theory its FACT.

remember warneys ban?
Remember peple being banned for coffee?

Some players have to get pre-approval to use certain medicines from the NRL before taking them even if they are sick.

I will find a link for the list for you. Like I say some forms of Panadol ARE banned

didn't Samantha Riley lose a World Championship Medal because she took a panadol for a headache?

thats correct pete.

And Volley + Fro here you go sweethearts
http://www.asda.org.au/athletes/prohibited.htm

arm yourself with facts next time

Thank you Volley for providing some perspective,

and thank you Dan for your knee jerk reaction :)

Sweety!! I prefer snookums

and snookums the perspective provided was in fact at one time illegal substance......so thank you!

all I am saying is that according to the laws set by the anti doping agencies this substance surely falls within that criteria. I am not saying what Manly is doing is wrong just mentioning a strange irony

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4