Manly-Roosters 1995, Gus Gould & David Jay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Stumbled on this & reminded me of the game. Rookie referee David Jay had a shocker. Pinged Des Hasler for pulling a tackler off one of his team mates. Gould tried to call his team off the field later & it was right in front of where I was sitting. I'm sure Manly 'won' but got dudded on a forward pass call right on fulltime.

http://www.roosters.com.au/news-display/Roosters-v-Manly--past-memorable-clashes/12052

“[t]he Roosters were fighting to save their season, Manly, after 15 consecutive wins, were aiming to become the first team since St George in 1959 to finish with an undefeated record. There was a hint of an upset in the air;…”

“The Roosters gained the upper hand early and by halftime were in command at 19-4…a succession of penalties ran in favour of the home side, Gould sensed a crucial match slipping from the Roosters’ grasp. The pressure and the strain of the season reached a critical mass and Gould erupted. He stormed from his seat in the grandstand and rushed to the sideline, gesturing to the pro-Manly crowd and attempting to call his players from the field. Captain Sean Garlick was mystified. `What are you talking about, we`re winning`, he screamed. It was a bizarre scene as Gould continued to stalk the sideline and rookie referee David Jay, apparently oblivious, continued to play on. Tensions continued to simmer until, six minutes from fulltime, five eighth Andrew Walker potted a penalty goal and the Roosters hung on to win 21-16.”

David Jay where are you? That was his last game in first grade. I'm sure I recall seeing him actually pulling back Roosters players onside at the 10m line because they were ignoring him.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4