Manly plea to NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
31/05/2007
By Brent Read - The Australian

MANLY has approached the NRL for salary-cap relief as it prepares to throw injured forward George Rose a lifeline by offering him a contract for next season - even though he may not be fit to play.
Rose, a cult figure on Sydney's northern beaches, sustained a compound fracture in his right ankle against Melbourne last Saturday night.
The hugely popular prop has undergone operations to repair a broken fibula and badly torn deltoid ligament. His manager is scheduled to meet Manly chief executive Grant Mayer today to discuss the club's plans for Rose.
Rose spurned a two-year deal from the Sea Eagles last year, instead signing a contract that expires at the end of this season. His contract includes a payment of $1000 per game, which means he stands to lose more than $10,000 as a result of his injuries.
However, Sea Eagles officials are prepared to pay Rose regardless and will make him an offer for next season even though his career is under a cloud.
Mayer said the club was prepared to offer Rose a contract that could result in him earning more than $50,000 in 2008, even if he didn't play.
"We want special consideration under the rules of the cap to allow us to offer a contract to George that will minimise any financial fall-out from long-term injury," Mayer said. "For us it is important that the kid is looked after. He may never play football again." Rose was among the front-rowers being targeted by Newcastle for next season, but his injury setback has seen the Knights' interest wane. Rose will be unable to run until Christmas and, given his size and the nature of the injuries, faces a significant period of rehabilitation and fitness training before being ready to play.
Meanwhile, Canberra yesterday announced Steve Irwin had been released after being involved in a recent incident with team-mate Todd Carney.
Raiders general manager Don Furner said the club offered Irwin a number of options that included remaining affiliated with the club but Irwin decided to return to Queensland.

Apparently Rose's management aren't happy with the idea. I think they were hoping we'd upgrade Roses contract.

I know it's a bad, and I mean BAD injury, but I can't see any issue with him recoverring in 9 months for the start of next season.

Why not draw up a contract that has attractive match payments for 2008 + the $50k to enhance the deal.

I for one love George Rose playing for Manly. He busts his arse every week for us. In fact, I'd say he's one of the best bench players (props) in the NRL.

To that end, if he continued to improve like he has done, I couldn't see him out of place in a country jersey.

He's 24 only. A years not much when we could still get 5-7 years out of him after the recovery.

To that end, I'd be VERY surprised if Newcastle or Parramatta can throw $80k at him next year for potentially not playing. That is unless he start recoverring very well, at which stage Manly can jump on his contract.

too much of a risk Ryan. It is a 6 month injury for most but for George and his weight it will take him longer to recover and then get hsi weight back down.

I would think Rose's management are in no position to argue on this one.

You've got a football club, willing to sign him up on a decent wage with the possibility that he may never even play football again.

His management (and he) are being a tad ungrateful if that is the correct report.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4