Manly plans to contain Inglis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
DEEP in the back offices of Manly's football department, coach Des Hasler is hatching a plan to contain Greg Inglis.

Not one to shy from a challenge, Hasler has analysed and re-analysed video tapes and stats sheets.

"Des has got some good little things in place," confided Manly backrower Anthony Watmough.

So how do you stop Inglis, who leaps like a gazelle, fends like an octopus and produces tricks like a magician?

"We have to get to him just as he gets the ball and put some pressure on him," Watmough said.

Last weekend in Melbourne, beaten Gold Coast coach John Cartwright said the Titans had planned to tackle Inglis head-on and get right up in his face.

Inglis fended off Ashley Graham twice in the one sliding movement to score and then out-jumped the flying Preston Campbell to pull the ball out of the air and ground it.

Planning something and executing it are entirely different things when it comes to dealing with Inglis.

"In all the big matches he seems to excel," Manly and former Melbourne centre Steve Bell said. "It takes a pretty special player to do that. He's one of those players where the alarm bells go off when he has the ball. You don't know where he's going to pop up."

Manly and Melbourne, last year's grand finalists, meet on Friday night at Brookvale Oval for the second time this season. Storm won in round five 26-4.

Watmough identified Inglis's right arm as a potent weapon.

"He's got the fend from hell. You see that thing coming at you ... I got put on my backside in the grand final by it," Watmough said yesterday.

"It's not a pretty sight. He's about seven-foot tall with seven-foot arms. He's got a lot of strength behind him. He's an awesome talent."

Manly's veteran of 16 seasons, Steve Menzies, says Inglis, 21, is already the most devastating player in the NRL and could be one of the game's greatest.

"Just the way he runs and can push and beat a player, his athletic ability," Menzies, 34, said.

"I have no doubt if he can continue doing that for another eight to 10 years, he can be one of the greatest.

"His athletic ability is amazing, his raw talent is freakish."

Manly captain Matt Orford said the difference in the Inglis of 2008 compared with 2007 is greater confidence.

"When there are tight games, he's the one they go to, to make a difference," Orford said.

So how do you compete against such a player? "It's pretty much do your best," Bell said.

Most Manly players were not willing to talk about Melbourne's niggling tactics in defence. Hasler even reiterated the fact Manly does not employ a wrestling coach.

But Orford said Manly needed to take a leaf out of St George Illawarra's book of reacting when on the receiving end of grapple tackles.

"It was good to see a team not take a backward step," Orford said. "They stuck it to them and played Melbourne's game.

"That's the attitude we need to take into this game. We need to be aggressive and on the front foot."

A few big hits from Matai might shake Inglis up and of course he was always going to get over the top of Graham and the Titans midget fullback.  And Choco played like ****e in last years GF by his own admission.  Our backline is far better than the Titans.  The most dangerous Storm player imo is Slater.  Williams needs to lift his defensive smarts by 100% to contain him.  With Lyon and Choco out it'll be hard by not hopeless.  With these two guys back for the finals we'll cruise to the silverware. 

If he sticks the big right arm out some one should grab his wrist and pull it the opposite way to his body’s direction, and use his own momentum against him.

A dislocated shoulder might slow him down a bit I reckon.

Get in his face before he gets going is the only way to stop him.

Our biggest concern apart for Archer will be how will we combat their high kicks to our wingers? 

Falou and Inglis tower over our wingers. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8