Manly pack 2020 - so much potential

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The competition for spots in the Top 17 is Massive -
There are a few certainties based on fitness...
Not just this, but keep in mind they are battling for the future as your next contract if stuck in NSW Cup all 2020 will be financially effected, so the battle to make the NRL is a Must and the effort and competition will be of the highest order.

Depending on fitness, here are the certain starters which means limited spots available...

• Jake
  • Kapow
  • AFB
  • Sirro
  • Thommo

Then we have fighting for a spot....

• Keppie
  • Paseka
  • Boyle
  • Sipley
  • Waddell
  • Goziewski
  • Olakau'atu
  • Saddler

Its tough to predict , but I feel based on the back of 2019 both Keppie and Olakau'atu would be front runners, with Goz, Waddell on the next line...though Boyle played a fair bit and the return of Sipley makes it even tougher.

Sipley and Olakau-atu have most potential, for mine. Oh, and I loved what we saw from Keppie in those games too. But they all showed heaps of promise last year. The future is looking very bright indeed!

No love for Waddell ?? thought he was good this year for a rookie and will only improve

Starting 5 pick themselves clearly, so the rest are fighting for bench spots. Really depends on what happens with the hooking role as to what the bench make up is. Do we have 4 forwards or 3 and a utility/second hooker ?? All 3 starting backrowers are 80 minute players, so do you carry a backrower on the bench "just in case" ?? I don't think so.

So I'm suspecting 3 middle forwards and a second hooker. In which case I'd go Boyle, Sipley and Keppie. Des might entertain the thought of turning Jetski or Waddell into a makeshift 9 to give whoever starts at hooker a breather, that's the only way I see a backrower getting a bench spot.

No love for Waddell ?? thought he was good this year for a rookie and will only improve

Starting 5 pick themselves clearly, so the rest are fighting for bench spots. Really depends on what happens with the hooking role as to what the bench make up is. Do we have 4 forwards or 3 and a utility/second hooker ?? All 3 starting backrowers are 80 minute players, so do you carry a backrower on the bench "just in case" ?? I don't think so.

So I'm suspecting 3 middle forwards and a second hooker. In which case I'd go Boyle, Sipley and Keppie. Des might entertain the thought of turning Jetski or Waddell into a makeshift 9 to give whoever starts at hooker a breather, that's the only way I see a backrower getting a bench spot.
Des used both waddell and jetski in the middle last year. Id be very surprised if we dont carry jetski as he can play middle, second row and also covers centre. Id say 2 props, jetski and a utility.
Sipley and Keppie for mine as the 2 props but what a good problem to have, so much depth and competition for spots.

The competition for spots in the Top 17 is Massive -
There are a few certainties based on fitness...
Not just this, but keep in mind they are battling for the future as your next contract if stuck in NSW Cup all 2020 will be financially effected, so the battle to make the NRL is a Must and the effort and competition will be of the highest order.

Depending on fitness, here are the certain starters which means limited spots available...

• Jake
  • Kapow
  • AFB
  • Sirro
  • Thommo

Then we have fighting for a spot....

• Keppie
  • Paseka
  • Boyle
  • Sipley
  • Waddell
  • Goziewski
  • Olakau'atu
  • Saddler

Its tough to predict , but I feel based on the back of 2019 both Keppie and Olakau'atu would be front runners, with Goz, Waddell on the next line...though Boyle played a fair bit and the return of Sipley makes it even tougher.

Great post !!!

The 2020 Manly Sea eagles club membership pack is great as well

Two great packs to start of the 2020 season

A pack of great Manly forwards and a pack of great Manly supporters

Become a Manly club member today and be part of the successful 2020 pack

You will never look back

download.jpg

Des used both waddell and jetski in the middle last year. Id be very surprised if we dont carry jetski as he can play middle, second row and also covers centre. Id say 2 props, jetski and a utility.
Sipley and Keppie for mine as the 2 props but what a good problem to have, so much depth and competition for spots.
I just checked Waddell stats for the year and you are right - he played 23 games this year, which I must admit surprised me. Mostly off the bench obviously, but still it seems Des is a fan.

Big Siro and Thompson were a revelation last season, two of the form back rowers in the game for most of the year and a big reason why our pack was so intimidating. Under Barrett they were hardly even used, but last season they broke the line on numerous occasions, scored plenty of tries, and added real mongrel in defence.

I see we have extended Joel for a further two seasons. Hardly surprising, he’s as tough as teak, durable, the players love him, and he’s very experienced. If Siro continues his upwards trajectory, he might find himself pushing for a blues jumper. His game against the Titans up on the Coast was as good as it gets for a backrower.

Talk about a change in fortune... such a massive difference to the place is since Des returned.

Last edited:
I don't have Siro or Thommo as locked in ..... both their spots are at risk for mine .... they will have the front running ... but will both have to lift their games on last year to keep them ....
Watching Keppie and big Olakau'atu you have a valid point....but they would have to really slide, or be injured to miss the Top 17

I agree that our pack has great potential and that is exciting, my fear is that our season could well be derailed by the Fainu issue, I believe we were certain top 4 candidates with him in the side, now making the 8 will be a big achievement!

Awesome starting pack but let's be honest.
Sirro will probably only play 70% or so of the season.
Jake will be away with NSW so opens up some games.
Tapau and AFB will pick up at least a suspension or 2 between them so theres another half dozen or so matches.
Thomson isn't a spring chicken so may be a handover year if any of the young guys can step up.

Our forward depth was good last year too. It's the backs that we've got trouble with. But hopefully Hoppa has an injury-free season this year. Burbo and Schuster might be able to come in as centres if the need emerges too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4