MANLY NSW CUP V AUCKLAND VULCANS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Looks like the weather is fining up so I will probably stroll down to Brookie at 3 pm and have a peek. Really looking forward to seeing new boys Michael Chee Kam & Tom Symonds play for the first time.

From the trials I saw I was really impressed with these guys;

James Cunningham: great work rate in attack and defence.
Peta Hiku: Good under the high ball and loves to get involved. You just can't keep him out of the game.
Esi Tonga: Scored 2 trys against Newcastle at Fingal Bay and looks to be a strong runner of the footy.
Jason Seage: New boy from the Eels and comes with a good reputation. I saw him in the NRL trial against Cronulla and he showed he has a good kicking game and strong defender.
Kayne Lawton: New boy from the Titans. Heard he is the strongest bloke in the gym but I haven't seen him play much so looking forward to see how he goes. He will need to play well because he has Liam Higgins snapping at his heels.
Dane Chisholm: On form one of the best during the trials. His strenghts are steering the team around the paddock and a good kicking game.

Jimmy C has always impressed me in the trials I have seen him play in 2011 & 2012 and I cannot believe he hasn't cracked first grade yet. There is a missing piece in that puzzle.

Maybe this year he is in the right head space and has a good run with injuries.

Fingers crossed as it is a very important year for Cunningham, Sao, Stromquist and to a lesser extent Trjbovic

I doubt Kite, Galuvao and Rose will be with us next year!

I'd say we will sign a prop but we also need a couple of these guys to take that next step!

VB NSW CUP PREVIEW ROUND 1
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=69170&title=vb-nsw-cup-previews---round-one

Manly Sea Eagles Vs Auckland Vulcans
Brookvale Oval, Saturday, March 9
Kick-off: 3.00pm
Referee: Liam Nicholls

Summary: Two sides meet here that are looking to turnaround disappointing 2012 campaigns. The Vulcans and Sea Eagles finished 11th and 12th respectively last season but with a new year comes new hope, and both of these sides look to have bolstered their rosters during the off season.

Purely looking at this week’s team lists, there are a number of names that league fans would recognise that have made the move to a new club since last September. The Vulcans have players such as Zoram Watene (Panthers), Dominic Peyroux (Titans) and Harry Siejka (Panthers) suiting up while Manly will field players such as Esi Tonga (Eels), Dane Chisholm (Tigers), Kayne Lawton (Titans) and Tommy Symonds (Roosters).

Both of these sides have strength in their packs and excitement out wide and a high scoring affair may be on offer for those fans that make the trek down to Brookvale Oval on Saturday afternoon. Despite not being named here, you can probably expect to see George Rose suit up for Manly on Saturday if he is not required up in Brisbane on Friday night.

Talking Point: Great Dane – We have always been big fans of Dane Chisholm’s here at NSWRL HQ and to be quite honest we are staggered that Chisholm has played just the one NRL game since graduating from the Toyota Cup with Melbourne way back in 2009.

Obviously Chisholm felt a change of scenery was the best thing for his football career after not really being presented with any opportunity to shine during his time at the Tigers, but given his favoured positions are five eight and fullback, it will be interesting to see if that changes much at Manly given that Kieran Foran and Brett Stewart currently occupy those two jerseys at the club. You never wish an injury upon any player, but we really hope that Chisholm is handed an opportunity by Geoff Toovey at some point his year, because we are sure he will make the most of the chance if it is presented.

Prediction: Have a feeling the Sea Eagles may be one of the big improves in 2013 and a win at home in Round One would be a perfect way to start their season. Manly by 10.

Manly 26 def Auckland 24 in a tough enconter out here at Brookie. A great start for the 2013 season to win the NRL and nsw cup in round 1

Just back from the game, very physical but a great contest. A lot of drop ball but very hot. Last year the Auckland side would have thumped us but the guys really stood up.

Hiku - another good game and produced one of the best head on tackles I have seen at Brookie in a long time. Picked up and drove a maori monster back 10 metres/
Sao - got better as the game went was very strong in the 2nd half
Lawton - MOM for me great game at hooker, plenty of yeards from dummy.
Cunningham - very solid and made tough yards
Chilsom - great kicking game and creative
Gagan - went good on the wing without getting opportunities
George R - had a good run and made some telling metres, still look unfit
Chee Ham - I was looking at our 11 and wondering who he was, very hard to stop and hits hard - will play NRL this year and future star - very impressed based upon his performance today
Symond - score a couple of tries, played the whole game and looked good. Will be a great backup.

All in all a good effort. Good to see Tooves and Matai down there as well.

Yep, I agree with The Wheel.

It's going to be tough for Toovs to keep Lawton out of the 1st grade if he keeps playing like he did to day.

Chee-Kam always seemed to break the first tackle and got the ball away a lot when he was caught,

Hiku was very impressive at the back.

I'm not sure why Chapman wasn't kicking from the start but at both Fingal Bay and today Chisholm shouldn't be kicker (1/4). He was good in general play though and kicked a great 40:20 when we needed it, to close out the game.

Yeah, apparently Brisbane scored 4 tries in 10 mins to steal it.

Our SG Ball was also run down by the undefeated Penrith at Brookie yesterday 26-30.

Manly Sea Eagles 26 (Tom Symonds 2, Dane Chisholm, Jason Seage, Ligi Sao tries; Michael Chapman 2 conversions; Dane Chisholm penalty).
Auckland Vulcans 24 (Ngani Laumape, Aaron Nootai, Siliva Havili, John Palavi tries; Harry Siejka 4 conversions).

This was one tough encounter against a big and tough team. Auckland really tested our middle and fringe defence by constantly hitting it up in close. I'm pleased to report that, in the main, our tackling stood up to the test. Auckland were trying for quick play the balls and had plenty of willing runners hitting it up.

Here are my thoughts on some of the positives and negatives of the game and some comments on the players;

PROS:

Dogged defence, never gave in. Plenty of heart shown to stay in the fight. Some nice touches during the game where we looked really good. One of the trys was a great team effort with about 6 or 7 players involved in the lead up.

CONS:

Sometimes we played like strangers who had met for the first time with passes going astray and some moves not coming off because players forgot where they should be. I think with so many new players in the team this can be excused but I hope it improves by the time we meet Mounties next week. We dropped the ball too often and penalties were also an issue - DISIPLINE!!

Peta Hiku - good game but I was impressed how Auckland contained him most of the time. Made one memorable hit in defence that rocked the ground.

Michael Chapman: Got involved and made plenty of runs. Busy game.

Jacob Gagen: Same as Chapman, got involved and made good ground through the Auckland defence.

Ben Farrar: Solid game but he was contained. Had a go though.

Esi Tonga: Big boy who tried to get involved. Some strong runs.

Jason Seage: Scored 1 try backing up Symonds, returned the favour by setting up a try for Symonds with a deft grubber and must have made about 30 tackles.

Dane Chisholm: Scored a try with about his first touch of the footy. Busted them wide open and had the pace to get to the line. Good kicking game and he organised well.

James Cunningham: Busy game and gave as good as he got. Should crack NRL this year.

Kane Lawton: Close to out best with darting runs and constantly had the Auckland defence guessing.

Ligi Sao: A workhorse. Great game but hands let him down a couple of times.

George Rose: Got involved but I think he can go better. I thought he played better at Fingal Bay.

Michael Chee Kam: Not a bad debut for the club. He looks a bit underdone to me. I know he has been in rehab most of the preseason so I think there is improvement for this bloke. Needed the run.

Tom Symonds: Bigger than I thought. Got involved and he & Seage kept the left edge solid all game. Will push for NRL 17 for sure.

Nick Skinner: Really had a dig and took the ball up with plenty of gusto and defended strongly. I like the look of this bloke.

Liam Higgins: Kane Lawton is playing well because this bloke is snapping at his heels. Great impact off the bench.

James Hasson: New boy from the Sharks who showed his strong defence will be an asset this season.

Justin Lemalu: Workhorse who proved difficult to stop.

NEXT GAME: V Mounties next Saturday 3 pm @ Mt Pritchard Sports Ground

I watched the match but don't have the same knowledge as Fairy Bower about our reserves. One thing that I realised was that, sadly, Ben Farrar, doesn't appear up to NRL standard. I was a real fan when he played first grade a couple of years ago, as he was used in a multi-range of positions. I know he's been out of the game for a whole season, but Ben seems too slight, and slow, to be of nRL standard. A real pity. If I'm not mistaken he was the captain of the reserves team, and seemed to do a good job there, but it was Dane Chisholm driving the team and was the heart of our attack.

I agree, The Who, but saying this truth won't make you popular!! Ben can be a great asset for the club in the lower grades. As you said, too slight and too slow to be NRL standard. I was abit surprised how people said he should be in 1st grade as winger. Always reminded me of Brendan Reeves. His injury probably has taken away the bit of decent speed he had. Hiku and Gagan will be next in line.

Chisholm has the makings of being an effective back up with Seage. At least Liam Foran left and these two (or Lawton) will now get the chance if Foz or DCE get injured.

Great news about props, Sao, Cunningham and Lemalu. Don't forget Jake T is coming through as well. If you get the chance, watch his younger brother Tom (fullback sg ball) absolute talent and must be kept at any cost. To think, we have Gutherson as well!! Go The Eagles for the next 10 years.

wow, many years since a write up like that appeared from NSW cup.

Last time we would have had Foran, DCE, Buhrer etc in the team.

By the sound of it Symonds for Gower next week. I was extremely impressed with his games i saw at the rorters so doesnt surprise me he is doing well. If not symonds then lawton. Both will offer more off the bench and a better balance/cover for injuries.

Darren said:
I agree, The Who, but saying this truth won't make you popular!! Ben can be a great asset for the club in the lower grades. As you said, too slight and too slow to be NRL standard. I was abit surprised how people said he should be in 1st grade as winger. Always reminded me of Brendan Reeves. His injury probably has taken away the bit of decent speed he had. Hiku and Gagan will be next in line.

Chisholm has the makings of being an effective back up with Seage. At least Liam Foran left and these two (or Lawton) will now get the chance if Foz or DCE get injured.

Great news about props, Sao, Cunningham and Lemalu. Don't forget Jake T is coming through as well. If you get the chance, watch his younger brother Tom (fullback sg ball) absolute talent and must be kept at any cost. To think, we have Gutherson as well!! Go The Eagles for the next 10 years.

Haha, as if what you say is the truth. If it was Groom amoung others would be stars in our current nrl side. I do not recall many saying Farrar should be in first grade when we are full strength. Many just thought he was good for depth purposes as he has experience and our other outside back signings are not proven yet. And many called you on your stupid calls to sack him so we could fit in the likes of Stewart when his contract was causing issues. As if their contracts are anything similar in value. And yes Hiku is in front of him considering he was named in a extended squad. Good news all round.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this team run around but I suspect only a couple of these guys will step up and be a success in the NRL.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6