Manly Home Final in Danger from Greedy Council

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Eagles home final in danger
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Dean Ritchie

August 01, 2007
MANLY may be cruelly robbed of playing its home semi-final at Brookvale Oval because of a row between the NRL and the local council.

The NRL - which governs all finals matches - has threatened to take the match to Telstra Stadium or the SFS unless Warringah Council slashes its ground hire fees, thought to be about $75,000.

Manly players, officials and fans were last night distraught that the September match could be shifted from their spiritual home. NRL officials will today hold urgent talks with the council to resolve the drama.

"It is out of our hands but the club and fans would be absolutely shattered if forced to move venues,'' Manly CEO Grant Mayer said. "I will fight tooth and nail to keep it at Brookvale.

"Hopefully the NRL and the council can find a solution but the NRL also has to make a business decision and sometimes those aren't easy to swallow for fans and sponsors.''

Manly forward Steve Menzies said: "The benefit of finishing in the top four is to get that home ground advantage - it would be very disappointing if we lost it. If it can't be resolved, I'm sure the fans wouldn't be happy.''

Famous Manly fan Thomas Keneally added: "There'd be a riot. It would be treading on the dreams of the faithful.''

The Daily Telegraph understands Warringah Council are seeking 15 per cent of gate receipts, sponsorship, hospitality and merchandising. The NRL will secure about $500,000 for the match, with the council pocketing $75,000.

Councils generally take about 10 per cent, but only of gate takings. NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said his organisation was monitoring the situation.

"Our rules state a team is eligible for a home final in week one but that is firstly subject to approving the venue and secondly whether we can negotiate satisfactory hiring terms,'' he said.

A Warringah Council spokewoman said: "If the NRL want to get in touch with us, we'd be more than happy to talk fees and charges with them.''

A Warringah Council spokewoman said: "If the NRL want to get in touch with us, we'd be more than happy to talk fees and charges with them.''

Obviously it's just the start of the bargaining process. This is a storm in a teacup.

Local government morons.

Just when we thought that manly council had the sole rights for stupidity.

I think you'll find that Brookvale Oval would fall under the Warringah Council, Still a bunch of jokers though!

$75 k for a hire of one ground for one night. What a joke!!!! I would love to know what the council contributes to the upkeep etc.

Time to send a message to a few councillors or try to elect a few that are more favourable towards the footy club I reckon.

im an eagle through & through, but at worst if we get 10% of gate fees should it be moved to telstra. then thats something.. this council is rubbish and never do anything for our club. i think the few people who live close by that complain about night games are probably councilers them self.. you think they would be happy for the club and helpful..

I hope someone from the Daily can run this story - embarrass the council and then see what happens.

With a bit of luck we will have John Howard type backflips!

$75 k for a hire of one ground for one night. What a joke!!!! I would love to know what the council contributes to the upkeep etc.

Time to send a message to a few councillors or try to elect a few that are more favourable towards the footy club I reckon.

Warringah Council is run by an administrator, unfortunatley no councillers to punt at the next election.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

Warringah Council is run by an administrator, unfortunatley no councillers to punt at the next election.

[/quote]

I have read - don't remember where - that even the administrator has been linked to corruption. Anywaysd, I have written to him:

Titled Greed Greed Greed:-

Rik Hart,

I am a rate payer in your council. I notice these rates are continuously going up, yet all I see
as the benefit, is an abundance of over development, and absolutely no town planning or
infrastructure improvement. What I also see, is the Manly Daily continually discussing the
in fighting and corruption at your council.

Your greed at trying to dip into the Sea Eagles coffers around their Home Semi final has finally
taken the cake !!! Imagine that Warringah Council was the first council to strip a Home Semi final
from The Manly clubs lifetime supporters !!!

I would understand that you would want a larger piece of the profit pie if you offered a ground that
met basic safety standard guidelines, and supported a family friendly environment. Brookvale Oval,
the council owned ground does NOT meet these requirements, thus, a petition has been started,
with thousands of signatures, that will be presented to Morris Iemma, with hope for financial support.

Basically, you people are asking for extra cash (not surprising) for the worst possible ground that
any team in the NRL has. How about doing a job for the people, allow The Sea Eagles to play their
rightful game at their home ground, and get on with things. How about providing a safe ground. One
that has working lights. One that has a working generator. One that has flip seats, so that fire hazard
standards are met.

Honestly, all I see from you is greed, and no real value back to me, as your employer.

If we lost our home ground final.. i'd stop watching footy :|

I'd be freakin gutted.. I see us finishing top 2 for sure then winning our home final and having a weeks rest and beating one more team to get to the big one.

Guys, It is scary how realistic making the GF is becoming!!

I was hopeful at the start of the year... halfway through I thought "we are in good position but still need to do alot of work"

I am getting more and more confident by the day.

The home final (1st week) pricing hasn't been fixed, but if you took 25,000 people (the ground's capacity) x an average entry price of $30 you get $750k. Take away $575k (NRL & Council) and the club pockets $175k minus costs. Doesn't seem like a big financial windfall to me.

All the same, if the Council forces the game to move I will be be joining the barricades.

The game is run by the NRL and my understanding is that they get 100% of the ticket money. The only concession to the home club is that they get the revenue from the food/drink/merchandising outlets.

The game is run by the NRL and my understanding is that they get 100% of the ticket money. The only concession to the home club is that they get the revenue from the food/drink/merchandising outlets.

which Means Manly will lose out in more ways

HI All,

I heard an interview with the GM of the council last night – he stated

• That there is no way that they will not be hosting the final, and he would do everything they could to make sure it happens.
• Manly pay more than other clubs as the council takes care of the oval (not the other way round as other clubs..)
• They had started to re-visit the deal as it was over 13 years old
• They had not even meet yet!

They also had the COO of the NRL (I am pretty sure it was Greame Annesly) who said that they had not meet yet bust was 100% confident the game would be at brookie…

In all another beat up by the tele

Here's some facts for you lads:-

It cost Council 487K to maintain Brookie in the last financial year;
Sea Eagles contributed 94% of these costs to council;
Our usage is limited to just 12 game days and 12 training days (7% total usage)

I think that tells massive things about the Council !!!

Persson's direct comments were:-

From our point of view (Council's), this is a chance to recover some of our subsidy.

OH.....MY.....LORD !!!

20K ish a day on average, which is a lot when you consider half of those days dont require staff dealing with crowds or catering!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4