Manly Go Back to the 90s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
It is worth noting that Manly have reverted to the defensive style of the 90s in which the defence comes up a few metres and then relies on good one on one tackling and each player doing their job. This style of defence, with the slide went out of vogue in the late 90s but it is good to see Manly doing such a good job in this area. :clap: :clap: :clap:

players and coaches will work out a way around it, however it will take a lot of time and unless they are already practising to beat us they will struggle.

If Orford can find his legs again we will trouble everyone including the storm.

It is starting to look like a 2 horse race with a few roughies like the dogs and cows having an outside chance but its a long season.

Don't you worry. Orford will find his legs. He showed what we've been missing in glimpses on sunday and you're right. We will be a threat to every team in the comp once our attack clicks like the defense has.

To be honest though, I don't think the storms attack would even crack our defense anymore than the other teams this season.

They have been like us. Its all about their defense. They seem to be struggling to gel in offense.

After 6 rounds in:

1995- 60 points conceded (including beating Norths 30-0) with no losses

1996- 70 points conceded (including a 20-10 loss to Norths) with one loss

1997- 80 points conceded (we had the tied 5th best defensive record that year) with no losses

2007- 52 points conceded, so we're defensively better so far this year than in the mid 90's (in terms of points conceded, of course)

good stats Downie... would you all agree that more tries are scored than 10 years ago... more higher scoring games etc...

means our defence is even better.

Geez, I didn't think our defence matched up to the mid-'90s, but, looking at those stats, I'm wrong. However, the mid '90s defence was consistently stingy for the entire year. We're yet to show that......

I thought our attack had been pretty average but only Melbourne have scored more points.

Looks like we are being consistent which augurs well for the season. :yeah:

I thought our attack had been pretty average but only Melbourne have scored more points.
And the Cowboys CW. I wouldn't get too excited as an additional 5 teams are within less than 5% of our total.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
And the Cowboys CW. I wouldn't get too excited as an additional 5 teams are within less than 5% of our total.

[/quote]You are right. I looked at the table on Monday prior to the game in which 6 points put them past us.

A lot of teams are close but my point stands - we are up there with most teams in attack. Only Melbourne stand out so far.

[quote author=Downie]
After 6 rounds in:

1996- 70 points conceded (including a 20-10 loss to Norths) with one loss ;)

[/quote]

There's only one game from that year that is really clear in my mind and it isn't that one Ryan. :dance:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4