Manly: delighting homeground crowds since 2010

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

weev

Bencher
But unfortunately those homeground crowds are not at Brookvale.

But think of the utter pleasure Manly has provided, in telling versions of the Great Sports Story - that of coming from behind.

We know this script. We have all been there. You, the fan, watching your team get 8, 10, 16, 20 points behind in the second half, the clock ticking down. You brace yourself for the loss, wonder how, wonder why. You start 'sacking' players, coaches, officials. Swear that something needs to be done, that this is a shamble of justice.

Then a consolatory try. No biggee. Just a little face-saving in a game that is all but concluded. You go for a pee, a beer, grab a bite. There is a roar you hear from the masses, sight unseen. What is it? A fight? A sin bin? A streaker to break the pain? What? No, your team has run the length of the field.

Miracle Try.

Now you have a sniff. It's game on. You see it in your team's eyes. You rush back and get comfy. This is sport. This is what you want.

Oh my god. What an awesome pass. The opposition are dopes on the ropes. Adrenaline pumping hard. On and off field. Your team rises like giants.

He's in the corner. Now in front. Your star player has earned his year's salary in one blinding, brilliant, deft move.

The siren sounds. Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat!

Thank you Manly for making some beautiful sports narratives. Albeit for others.

And I look forward to those match-ups later in the season at Brookie.  As they say, revenge is a dish best served very, very, very cold.

Matabele link said:
I loved it when we did it to Penrif twice in a row.

Those are my two favourite H&A games. Such an awesome atmosphere at Brookie after those. As opposed to today which sucked balls. I thought that game was in the bag after half time.

The comeback is indeed a sporting highlight. Some other team, last week I think, came back from 24-nil to level at 24-all, forget who it was. There have been many comebacks in the first 2 rounds. It might be a sign of the game this year that things are so finely balanced that a change of momentum can turn everything on its head.

The solution for Manly is pretty obvious. Next time we have to lead at least 30-nil. Either that, or conserve our energy for the first 60 and then be the team that makes the storming comeback at the end . . .

King and Perry consistently take the lazy option late in the game when laying all over the tackle. There goes the whistle and we are on the back foot. King was fired up giving directions before the game and at half time. Kingie, do what you say and back it up with what you do....

I think our intention has been to blow them out of the water with ferocious intensity.  But it's not an intensity that can be sustained for 80, and we don't have enough points in us to be far enough in front after 60.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6