Manly defends Orford deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevie

Reserve Grader
Manly defends Orford deal

July 26, 2005

FIGURES emerged last night which Manly claim will clear the club of any salary cap wrong-doing during an NRL investigation into Matt Orford's contract.

The Daily Telegraph obtained the exact details of Orford's contract which dispel unsubstantiated reports the halfback received up to $695,000 a season to join Manly.

The Sea Eagles yesterday lodged Orford's contract with NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

Club officials claim Schubert worked in consultation with Manly financial controller Wayne Honeywood through Orford's negotiations.

Figures obtained by The Daily Telegraph show Orford is on a four-year deal worth $1.854million.

He will receive $250,000 in his first year, $550,000 for his second season, $577,000 over his third year and $477,000 for the fourth and final season.

Orford was last night angry at the figures in Sunday's Sun Herald which claimed he was earning nearly $700,000 a season.

"The contract suggestions outlined in the Sun Herald story was absolute rubbish," Orford said."I'm a private person and wouldn't disclose my contract terms to anyone.

"I'm sick of constant speculation over my career."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said his club was unconcerned about the NRL investigation.

Asked did he harbour any worries, Cummings said: "None whatsoever.

"I guarantee you everything has been above board.

"Today we have given the contract to the NRL and also had discussions with Ian Schubert this morning.

"We don't foresee any issues in all this."

Orford's manager George Mimis would not confirm or deny the figures but took aim at Storm management.

"Matt's business affairs are confidential," Mimis said.

"I can't confirm or otherwise whether those figures are accurate.

"However, I can assure you the reported numbers were absolutely wrong.

"The Manly offer was acceptable to Matt based upon the commercial terms, football and the lifestyle aspects which were in excess of both Melbourne and Souths.

"The deal was never $700,000.

"It's ironic that as soon as a club misses out on -- or does re-sign -- a marquee player, they automatically scream of salary cap breaches.

"In this instance, Melbourne had four months to sign Matt.

"If anyone should undertake an investigation, Melbourne should review their front office negotiation strategies."

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed his organisation was considering looking into Manly's Orford deal.

"The lodgement of the contract has yet to be finalised," Gallop said.

"When it is, it's up to the salary cap auditor to decide what to do next. At this stage, there isn't much more we can say about it."

* A FOUR-YEAR contract extension will ensure Cameron Smith is Melbourne Storm's next captain -- but he won't be the club's next halfback.

While he started his Storm career as a No.7, and played much of his junior football at the scrum base, coach Craig Bellamy said the Queensland Origin hooker would not be considered as a replacement for the departing Matt Orford.

"If we got a bad run with injuries or something he is always an option for us," Bellamy said yesterday.

"But I'd have an unhappy footballer on my hands if I looked to move Smithy from his preferred spot.

"He is one of the game's best hookers and that's the role we want him to play."

2008 will require some jugling. I bet the current team would love reading those figures.

Can he walk on water? :)

You would assume so. Though it probably also assumes that one of BK or Beaver will retire at the end of 2006.

I remember steve got paid good money last year to make many mistakes. Beaver sure has improved though. Best season in many years.

2008 will require some jugling. I bet the current team would love reading those figures.

Can he walk on water? :)

Byso, there would be plenty of current players questioning Monaghs 240K as well who has problems running on grass let alone walking on water. Its just a fact of top sides having some elite players on mega bucks, thats why they are top sides.

How would those rabbits felt having Braith or Orford in the team at 700-800 K when some of them would be on about 3bucks fifty.

If i'm reading that correctly then taking $50,000 of each figure is what would go under the salary cap?

Therefore Orford is only taking up $200,000 under the cap next year?

Very interesting, maybe the spending isn't finished just yet.

A certain song does come to mind........

Yeah I know champ.
You would expect all the players to be professional. I notice next year he's on par with Monas :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4