Manly and Warringah considering merger for National Rugby Comp

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I noticed in todays Manly Daily that the two Peninsula Rugby clubs who have been enemies for about 30 years (since Slaggy Miller defected from the Marlins to the Rats) are considering a merger in order to guarantee entry into the proposed National Rugby Comp next year.

There is the usual talk about also seeking other clubs for talks etc and staying as separate entities for the Shute Shield etc.

Probably have no impact on the Sea Eagles except that it gives another path for aspiring young footy players to impress.

I would be interested to know what you who live on the Beaches think of this idea and whether it wll affect the Sea Eagles.

Because of the long standing hatred between the two clubs a merger will probably be as sucessful as the northern eagles was in league.

It will prpbably improve rugby league because there will no doubt be a lot of bickering between the two. Neither club is financially sound and I cannot see a merger improving the situation unless the ARU gives them a stack of money for doing it.

Article says that there will only be six Sydney Clubs in the National Comp and both are unlikely to get the gong.

Makes Geographical sense and it would be good to have a team called Manly Warringah playing in Maroon and White!!

In fact, it will DECREASE the avenues / paths for children on the beaches to get into Union. Instead of two teams, there will be one - better for The Sea Eagles.

I still, and will always state that we need to enroll a few schools into the arrive alive cup (or whatever other name it is called at the time.

I personally played for Macurthur (Campbelltown) Anglican Schoolboy side. That area is saturated with participating schools.

We could then set up scholarships with the schools involved with kids from the country that Crusher decides has some potential.

My only assessment of the way things are at present is as follows.

We hold junior scout camps, and trials that young aspiring players attend hopining for a chance to be noticed. There has to be much more done than this.

You will find Manly spit out less representative juniors than any other team apart from Melbourne. North Sydney Bears for goodnes sakes creates more talented juniors...STILL (Mark O'mealey, Matt King, Matt Orford, Glen Morrison etc etc)...

Look at the top quality sides in Parramatta and The Dragons...Their rosters are FULL of their juniors with a sprinkle of players who have come from opposing teams.

I here that our SG Ball, Mathews & Jersey Flegg teams have all just been beaten. Crusher has been employed with us for three years now, and whenever I bring this up, people say that these teams are all going great guns, or are improving. Based on last weekend...things aren't so great.

Like I say though...it all comes down to talent scouting..and at present, I think we are not getting the players other teams appear to be getting. We ARE getting established classy players (Orford, Kite, Bell, Kennedy)....but we DO need local junior talent, or we DO need Crusher to spot a prospective SUPERSTAR like Sonny Bill, Benji Marshall, Johnathon Thurston, Jamie Lyon, Karmichael Hunt etc etc...

Six Sydney teams...I dare say my team Sydney Uni will be getting the flick then?
No - politics always has an impact as well and they have been around for so long, also so strong that my tip is they will survive as a stand-alone!!!

IMO it will not be a good thing for the eagles, especially if the competition is a success.

What kid dreams of playing for the Marlins or Rats? Not many I can guarantee. However this new competition will be national and a higher quality than the current shute shield. it will provide a better path to state and national honours imo. the younsters will see that and it will influence a few to come over to union.

In fact, it will DECREASE the avenues / paths for children on the beaches to get into Union. Instead of two teams, there will be one - better for The Sea Eagles.

I still, and will always state that we need to enroll a few schools into the arrive alive cup (or whatever other name it is called at the time.

I personally played for Macurthur (Campbelltown) Anglican Schoolboy side. That area is saturated with participating schools.

We could then set up scholarships with the schools involved with kids from the country that Crusher decides has some potential.

My only assessment of the way things are at present is as follows.

We hold junior scout camps, and trials that young aspiring players attend hopining for a chance to be noticed. There has to be much more done than this.

You will find Manly spit out less representative juniors than any other team apart from Melbourne. North Sydney Bears for goodnes sakes creates more talented juniors...STILL (Mark O'mealey, Matt King, Matt Orford, Glen Morrison etc etc)...

Look at the top quality sides in Parramatta and The Dragons...Their rosters are FULL of their juniors with a sprinkle of players who have come from opposing teams.

I here that our SG Ball, Mathews & Jersey Flegg teams have all just been beaten. Crusher has been employed with us for three years now, and whenever I bring this up, people say that these teams are all going great guns, or are improving. Based on last weekend...things aren't so great.

Like I say though...it all comes down to talent scouting..and at present, I think we are not getting the players other teams appear to be getting. We ARE getting established classy players (Orford, Kite, Bell, Kennedy)....but we DO need local junior talent, or we DO need Crusher to spot a prospective SUPERSTAR like Sonny Bill, Benji Marshall, Johnathon Thurston, Jamie Lyon, Karmichael Hunt etc etc...

Manly have produced some juniors Ryan. The Fulton brothers, jason King and Chad Randall for a start. Beaver, choc and Toovey were probably the last decent juniors they produced.

I agree that they need to much more. Freshwater high contained a lot of last years S G Ball side and I understand that manly placed a lot of them there. I suppose it comes down to dollars for junior developement programs and Manly just doesn't have enough at the moment to throw sufficient money at it. Maybe in the future things will change.

our junior sides have been on the improve since crusher arrived, thats a fact. sure our juniors are not the best but they are on the improve.

who really cares if we lost some junior trials, they are only trials. at least wait till the season unfolds and see what the results are of the junior teams in the compeition. I must say at least you are consistant Ryan, Manly lose and it is all doom and gloom. :roll:

our junior sides have been on the improve since crusher arrived, thats a fact. sure our juniors are not the best but they are on the improve.

who really cares if we lost some junior trials, they are only trials. at least wait till the season unfolds and see what the results are of the junior teams in the compeition. I must say at least you are consistant Ryan, Manly lose and it is all doom and gloom. :roll:
i work with a guy who is on the staff of Parra at a junior level. His comment to me was that Parra had their sides picked and used last weekend as a full trial whilst Manly were running players on and off the park, still sorting through who was going to stay and who was getting shafted. A lot of the young country players drafted will take time to settle in and get used to the level of competition.

Give Crusher time. We did a lot better than a season or two ago when we were last in all junior grades. Worth also saying that other clubs pick young guys and put them into teams with strong league programmes rather than the other around.

speaking of Mitch and Rugby- has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Mitch Creary and Reds half back Sam Cordingly?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2