Manly and Sunday - fans crushed by vested interests

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
I warned last year that the future of enjoying a day game at Brookie was going to be a thing of the past. Here we are in 2007 and unless the St George game in the final round gets listed for Sunday afternoon we will have had a whole TWO day games at home out of 12. Maybe you can add the Bronco game but the fact is it is was easily discarded.

It was my motivation in changing my ticket subscription from a season holder to a flexi-pass so the club has lost money from people like me. Despite the club coming out and saying Manly is "strongly behind Sunday games as that is what our fans want" the reality is a different story.

To me this was always a great pleasure in life and holds the strongest memories.

How does any one else feel about the loss of this tradition?

I love Sunday at Brookie! I cannot get to many Saturday or Friday night games but Sunday is my day of rest.

I am with you MB. As said on Foxtel during the 2005 Penrith game - Sunday arvo at Brookie, where else would you rather be????

(Worth noting that I did not buy a flexi pass or season ticket this year for the reason that I can only know a few weeks ahead on which night the game is going to be. Should they publish them prior to the year I can plan my days and get to more games, worth a six or twelve game pass.) AFL can do it but not NRL.

Would suck for the regulars that have been doing it for years.

I have only been to Brookie once and was sorta good that i experienced both, got there on a friday when the gates opened and got to see games in the day and the big one at night, Was a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed both parts of the day

My pet hate is why the entire seasons playing schedule cannot be released prior to the commencement of the season. The AFL can do it so why can't the NRL.

Of course the NRL say that Channel 9 have the right to select the best game (in Channel 9's opinion) for FNF and the second best for Sunday afternoon with Fox getting third pick for MNF.

But in the 8 rounds played to date they have only picked the best game once for FNF in my opinion and that was the GF replay between the Bronco's and Storm. Even that could be debated based on the Bronco's form. Of course when you are trying to pick the match of the round 6-8 weeks in advance you are bound to make mistakes and Channel 9 have made plenty of them so far. If someone could explain how the Dragons and Penrith got a FNF game based on their form this year I would be most appreciative. I guess my point is they are not getting it right anyway trying to pick the match of the round so it would be far less embarrasing for them if the entire season was scheduled prior to the season commencing.

With the introduction of MNF this year we serioulsy considered not renewing our season tix, and believe me when you have reserved seats on the 50m line that is something that I take seriously. MNF is virtually impossible for us to get to, yet of course we have paid for our tickets and it will be most unlikely that we will be able to attend. If the entire seasons schedule was released prior to the season we could then make an informed choice as to whether we should renew our season tix.

The NRL of course will not try to alter their TV contracts now, they enough problems with Tesltra and stuffing up the internet rights to worry about their TV contracts. It is about time the NRL started returning the game to its rightful owners, the fans that actually do pay their $25.00 each & every week to watch their team play, even if Matt Orford did have a poor game on Sunday!

I have to agree with the sentiments, Sunday on the hill on a balmy winter arvo watching the Eagles win is great.

Having said that if we had a lot of Sunday games we wouldn't be on top of the comp - the price you pay for being successful is night games.

Also talking about the draw how is the game against the storm not rated No. 1 for the Round??

The NRL of course will not try to alter their TV contracts now, they enough problems with Tesltra and stuffing up the internet rights to worry about their TV contracts. It is about time the NRL started returning the game to its rightful owners, the fans that actually do pay their $25.00 each & every week to watch their team play, even if Matt Orford did have a poor game on Sunday!

The world is controlled and run by the corprations and we are merely pawns in their game.

The NRL is run by Packer and Murdoch the same as the logies are run by Packer for channel 9. Woolworths and coles own most business we use. newscorp, etc run our day to day lives just like the banks.

The fans attending the game are unimportant as long as more people take up Foxtel subscriptions to watch the game on TV. SOO games are already being slowed on occassions so that Foxtel can get its ads in. How long before this becomes the norm?

My pet hate is why the entire seasons playing schedule cannot be released prior to the commencement of the season. The AFL can do it so why can't the NRL.

Of course the NRL say that Channel 9 have the right to select the best game (in Channel 9's opinion) for FNF and the second best for Sunday afternoon with Fox getting third pick for MNF.

But in the 8 rounds played to date they have only picked the best game once for FNF in my opinion and that was the GF replay between the Bronco's and Storm. Even that could be debated based on the Bronco's form. Of course when you are trying to pick the match of the round 6-8 weeks in advance you are bound to make mistakes and Channel 9 have made plenty of them so far. If someone could explain how the Dragons and Penrith got a FNF game based on their form this year I would be most appreciative. I guess my point is they are not getting it right anyway trying to pick the match of the round so it would be far less embarrasing for them if the entire season was scheduled prior to the season commencing.

With the introduction of MNF this year we serioulsy considered not renewing our season tix, and believe me when you have reserved seats on the 50m line that is something that I take seriously. MNF is virtually impossible for us to get to, yet of course we have paid for our tickets and it will be most unlikely that we will be able to attend. If the entire seasons schedule was released prior to the season we could then make an informed choice as to whether we should renew our season tix.

:clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Hear Hear Pete!!!!!!

I think I'm on my own here.

Night games seem like more of an event to me.

I do think Mondays are on too early to give enough people a decent shot of getting there after work. Fridays could be pushed back to eight I reckon too. Saturdays are fine at 7:30.

At least the schedule is now released 8-11 weeks in advance rather than the previous 5.

However, a club or fan's interest does not come into the equation. It is very clear the scheduling is dictated by what the TV stations want to show, and when.

I like a mix of games, 9 - 10 night games is too much, it should be close to 50 - 50.

Pete it all depends on your definition of best - channel 9's most likely is most viewer's (it is a business after all)

[quote author=Corso_Pete]

Woolworths and coles own most business we use. newscorp, etc run our day to day lives just like the banks.

[/quote]

We will own Coles soon. :dance:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8