Manly 2017 Team Predictions

D

Deleted member 26876

2016... nah on to 2017 please i'm trying to forget 2016, the year of the injury curse. Anyways here is my manly line-up for 2017, and obviously it's gonna change given possible signings, positional switches, you name it but i've come up with what I believe at this stage our side should look like.
1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Tafua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Steve Matai (if retired due to injury, i believe we stand a chance to sign James Roberts or we'll just have Matt Wright/Brayden Williame fill the position for the year)
5. Brad Parker (very good but may need one more year) or Uate (if signed, hope bloody not)
6. Blake Green
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Darcy Lussick
9. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fonua Blake
11. Marty Tapau (much better playing at second row then prop, more impact and plays 80)
12. Matt Gillett (if signed)
13.Jake Trbojevic
INTERCHANGE
14. Jamie Buhrer
15. Willis Meehan
16. Nelson Asofa Solomona
17. Siosia Vave (reckon we'll stun the eels and re-sign him as he wishes to and he is one of the many players in this line-up that'll be part of the core in the our new era)

Notable Missed Players Out Of 1-17
* Brett Stewart (The snake has been a shadow of his former self, hard to see his confidence get past that of Tommy turbo at the moment, unfortunately his time is up but hopefully we thank him for all the good he'a done at the club, one of the best fullbacks in our history and a player that allowed us to have that decade of dominance we all hope comes back again)
* Brenton Lawrence (sadly too many injuries i think it'll be best to release him although I absolutely love the bloke, plays his heart out for manly each week)
* Nate Myles (been too lethargic and injury-riddled to make my line-up but can see him forced into it based on the $ he's on, don't wanna be wasting that now, do we? ahh maybe when it comes to his form this year...)
* Lewis Brown (Not too much impact in the second row but very good at taking dummy half runs, handy player but we've got too good of a bench for him to fit in it for me. Very good backup to have)
* Josh Starling (simple... poor defence, little impact)
* Apisai Korisau (can't waste a bench spot with the forwards we got coming through, no point replacing vave, meehan, buhrer or asofa solomona's spot with a hooker, it'd be "ridiculous" and "there'd have to be an investigation!" :( miss ya toovs... anyway
* Frank Winterstein (I reckon he's gonna be a star in the future, but would have to earn his spot playing as a backup)
* Liam Knight (of course a future star, gotta introduce him slowly throughout season though and more often as it goes on)
* Blake Leary (A stabilizer, but we have enough of them already, he's a back up for 2017)
* Cameron Cullen (rumoured that he's on he way and will fill in the void if either of our playmakers go down, might even fight with green for a starting spot or used on the bench as an utility)

Do you guys agree?
We are really starting to build depth in the squad as we prepare for the next decade of dominance

Last edited by a moderator:
Snake is a notable omission, and Myles will be front and centre as long as cherry wants.
No to james roberts for me but otherwise pretty close i reckon, with a few tweaks.

1: T Trbojevic
2: J Taufua
3: D Walker
4: J Roberts
5: B Parker
6: B Green
7: D Cherry-Evans
8: J Trbojevic (c)
9: M Parcell
10: D Lussick
11: M Taupau
12: M Gillett
13: J Buhrer (c)

14: A Koroisau
15: A Fonua-Blake
16: N Myles
17: N Asofa-Solomona

Maybe it is a generational thing (or IQ test) but I just can't see the sense of making team lists that include players that don't even play for us.

Is it where reality meets the fantasy league and nonsense reigns?

Maybe it is a generational thing (or IQ test) but I just can't see the sense of making team lists that include players that don't even play for us.

Or just a bit of fun @Woodsie

2016... nah on to 2017 please i'm trying to forget 2016, the year of the injury curse. Anyways here is my manly line-up for 2017, and obviously it's gonna change given possible signings, positional switches, you name it but i've come up with what I believe at this stage our side should look like.
1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Tafua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Steve Matai (if retired due to injury, i believe we stand a chance to sign James Roberts or we'll just have Matt Wright/Brayden Williame fill the position for the year)
5. Brad Parker (very good but may need one more year) or Uate (if signed, hope bloody not)
6. Blake Green
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Darcy Lussick
9. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fonua Blake
11. Marty Tapau (much better playing at second row then prop, more impact and plays 80)
12. Matt Gillett (if signed)
13.Jake Trbojevic
INTERCHANGE
14. Jamie Buhrer
15. Willis Meehan
16. Nelson Asofa Solomona
17. Siosia Vave (reckon we'll stun the eels and re-sign him as he wishes to and he is one of the many players in this line-up that'll be part of the core in the our new era)

Notable Missed Players Out Of 1-17
* Brenton Lawrence (sadly too many injuries i think it'll be best to release him although I absolutely love the bloke, plays his heart out for manly each week)
* Nate Myles (been too lethargic and injury-riddled to make my line-up but can see him forced into it based on the $ he's on, don't wanna be wasting that now, do we? ahh maybe when it comes to his form this year...)
* Josh Starling (simple... poor defence, little impact)
* Apisai Korisau (can't waste a bench spot with the forwards we got coming through, no point replacing vave, meehan, buhrer or asofa solomona's spot with a hooker, it'd be "ridiculous" and "there'd have to be an investigation!" :( miss ya toovs... anyway
* Frank Winterstein (I reckon he's gonna be a star in the future, but would have to earn his spot playing as a backup)
* Liam Knight (of course a future star, gotta introduce him slowly throughout season though and more often as it goes on)
* Blake Leary (A stabilizer, but we have enough of them already, he's a back up for 2017)

Do you guys agree?
We are really starting to build depth in the squad as we prepare for the next decade of dominance
Frank Winterstein looks good, but he is turning 30 this year, so I don't see superstardom in his future. I am excited by our forward pack and the potential of Meehan (who needs game time under his belt in the reggies first), Jamil Hoppa and Knight if he can control his aggression.

Parker looks promising; however, we are two quality backs short. I think Matai might play next year, but Snake will retire or go O/S. Green and Cullen battling for the six is a good thing (Green will start in the 6, but Cullen will be hungry).

Tom will be better for the experience of this year; he has some things to work on but is only young. Walker is the conundrum for mine - has great speed, can turn a game and could be a superstar. He just doesn't have the mental toughness and desire to be the best yet. He needs to put his body on the line in defence each set, play with consistency and own that centre spot.

Myles and Brown are not in my 17, and from the couple of games I've seen of Jamil - next year will be a breakout year for him.

I see top 8 next year, similar to where Penrith are this year. Another quality purchase for 2018 will see us challenge for a title and by then the youngsters will be established stars ready to carry the team into another period of dominance.

I see where you're coming from but I just like to try get a sneak peak into our future and see what other manly fans think of it should these rumoured signings like Green, Asofa Solomona and Gillett actually join the team, I don't add in names we are not targeting although if i did i would add in Manu mau or Charlie Gubb, also i forgot cullen was basically on his way as well. Whereas the rumoured back signing targets that I included of James Roberts and Uate is only if Matai does indeed hang up the boots due to that neck injury he's got, which we all hope not to lose another legend like him.

Would be excited in we sign green (2 years max) afosofa (massive potential) Gillette and Mead (can also fill in for injured tom at back his preferred position) Really hoping Matai can have successful surgery and play most games next year. We have no one else to replace him. Sign Whare for 2018 (still think he will be one of the top centers when he returns)
Brad parker, Jamil Hopa, Meehan, AFB, Knight all look good juniors to come through.

Tom
Jorge/B Parker
Walker
Matai
#Mead/B Parker
Green/Cullen
DCE
Lussick
Parcell
AFB
Tapau
#Gillette
Jake

#Afosofa
Vave
Buhrer
Knight/Meehan/Jamal/

1: T Trbojevic
2: J Taufua
3: D Walker
4: J Roberts
5: B Parker
6: B Green
7: D Cherry-Evans
8: J Trbojevic (c)
9: M Parcell
10: D Lussick
11: M Taupau
12: M Gillett
13: J Buhrer (c)

14: A Koroisau
15: A Fonua-Blake
16: N Myles
17: N Asofa-Solomona
That's a very solid team given Myles and Api managed to fit into it. I like the idea of having Buhrer back in the 13 as he is one of those players that plays for manly with his heart and wanted to find a way to fit him into the starting side. The question is whether Trent Barrett would move Trbojevic back to prop seeing the form he's had at lock this year. The only thing is that we'd like a big impact player like that of Meehan on the bench so i just couldn't see either Api or Myles fitting in, although Trent probably wouldn't put either of them out of the 1-17.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2