Malny stalwart Peter Peters planning coup to end war

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
MANLY stalwart Peter "Zorba" Peters could head a rebel ticket for the leagues club elections in February in a planned coup to end the boardroom civil war that is ripping the football club apart.

It has already forced coach and favourite son Des Hasler to give notice that he is joining Canterbury in 2013.

It also emerged yesterday that Manly's dysfunctional board had even attempted to move Hasler on at the end of last season - 12 months before he guided the club to its eighth premiership during his successful tenure.

The dust was still settling yesterday from Hasler's shock decision to accept a four-year offer from the Bulldogs from the 2013 season, although the coach himself alluded to the fact there had been tensions behind the scenes after releasing a personal statement on Saturday.

The Australian was told yesterday that Manly Leagues Club chairman Bob Reilly was behind a push to have Hasler sacked at the end of last season, although he has always maintained a public show of support for the coach and Sea Eagles great.

There are seven directors on Manly's board and it is believed Reilly's clique holds a 5-2 advantage. He and Melinda Gainsford-Taylor are the district football club nominees, Peter Spray represents the leagues club while owners Quantum are represented by Phil Sidney and John Walstab.

Chairman and majority owner Scott Penn - who has acknowledged there are some structural issues to resolve on the board - and Kerry Chrysiliou are the Penn nominees but are often out-voted on issues.

Peters was forced out of the club this month after four decades of service, but The Australian was told yesterday he could spearhead a rebel ticket to challenge Reilly for control of the leagues club at February's annual general meeting.

The club's former media manager is related to the Penn family through marriage and, if his leagues club bid is successful, the football club board could be restructured in a move that would shift the balance of power.

There was also speculation yesterday that Hasler's assistant, Geoff Toovey, could be appointed as his successor for 2013 as early as today. But a decision will not be made until a board meeting is held.

Although NSW coach Ricky Stuart has also been linked to the post, Toovey has been part of the club's long-term succession plan.

It is unclear if Hasler would stay if the club does name a successor. The Bulldogs have already indicated they would take him for 2012 and move caretaker Jim Dymock into the role of assistant.

There has also been speculation about players following Hasler out the door. It is believed that only fullback Brett Stewart and five-eighth Kieran Foran have get-out clauses in their contracts if the coach leaves.

It is understood the board is not overly concerned about a mass exodus.

Stewart is off-contract at the end of next season anyway, while backrower Tony Williams is a free agent now.

The Bulldogs would have room to accommodate Williams under the salary cap after captain Andrew Ryan has retired and centre Jamal Idris signed with the Gold Coast.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/malny-stalwart-peter-peters-planning-coup-to-end-war/story-e6frg7mf-1226162497332

the highlighted bit is a stunning admission

Berkeley_Eagle said:
the highlighted bit is a stunning admission

To be fair this article could have been written by reading the threads here. Unless there is a direct quote from somebody (which there isn't a single one in all the claims) then it just doesn't carry any weight.

That just goes to show you how they obviously have the best interests of the football club / players / fans at heart. ( add sarcasm / profanities ).

voicefromthehill said:
Could it be that they are not concerned because they are confident it won't happen, just looking at my half full glass

You are correct, they are confident it won't happen.

well if you can vote at the general meeting vote,we can make a difference you know. Lets not just sit back at watch it happen,lets have a say,I know I will be voting and I will be voting for Zorba,like him or loathe him,he has a massive influence on sponsors and player,s,they listen to him and if anyone can convince them not to walk,then he can. Let,s at least try and make a difference,its ok to sit here and whinge about all that is happening and watch it all disappear before our eye,s,the bears consortium will be loving this and I don't want them taking our spot that is for sure,so I will be using my vote to at least try and help stop the rot. So I urge anyone that can vote in the meeting in Feb,then do it,our votes will count. Im sick to death of all the bull**** that has been going on at the club for the last few years,instead of enjoying our success,we are always reading about one hiccup after another,Im over it so I will have my say in Feb.

MB you are correct in that a lot of those conclusions could be drawn from reading here. However there is also some fact in there

Daniel said:
MB you are correct in that a lot of those conclusions could be drawn from reading here. However there is also some fact in there
no worries Dan,I have just had a gut full like most of us,just venting my spleen

Berkeley_Eagle said:
It is understood the board is not overly concerned about a mass exodus.

Maybe Bob Reilly intends to suit up and play halfback with Phillip Deans in the front row. Dose up on those sandwiches boys.

Is there any clubs that have enough money to sign Kieran or Brett for next season.
Have to be at work in 20 mins (luckily I live accross the road), but would love to hear any updated information re. Stewart and Foran walking for 2012 so will definitely pop back on asap.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6