M. Orford - Your time has arrived!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher
After years of setback M. Orford surely, surely this is now your time!! Good Luck soldier....

Mullen in serious Origin II doubt
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:11 PM

Newcastle halfback Jarrod Mullen will miss two to three weeks with a torn calf muscle, virtually ruling him out of Origin II for NSW at Telstra Stadium on June 13.

Knights officials on Wednesday confirmed the worst, with Mullen suffering a two centimetre tear in his troublesome right calf muscle and unable to play for at least two weeks.

"It's a two to three week injury we think," said Knights media manager Stephen Mount.

"We're not sure where it places him with Origin."

With the NSW team to be named on Tuesday, Mullen is walking a tightrope to retain his spot in the Blues squad.

Since his Origin debut at Suncorp Stadium last week, Mullen has only played in the record 71-6 drubbing from Brisbane and would be low on confidence after two losses from a pack of Queenslanders.

While selector Laurie Daley on Tuesday confirmed Mullen "doesn't have to play" on the weekend to be chosen for the Blues, NSW would be hesitant to gamble on the halfback's fitness and inability to train for most of the preparation.

Mullen, 20, however said he would not risk his ongoing fitness by trying to rush back for NSW.

He said he would not push himself to play against the Sydney Roosters at Gosford on Saturday night even if it cost him his sky blue jersey.

"I have heard a lot of rumours that they're not going to pick me if I don't play this week," Mullen told the Nine Network.

"I'm not feeling pressure to play this week. I don't want to do any more damage to it.

"I will do the right thing and pull out if I'm not right."

Daley said the calf injury was likely to be the only thing preventing Mullen from retaining his spot, as he had little doubt the young star could overcome the beating his confidence has taken over the past two games.

"He is not confident as cocky as such, but he has a real good head on his shoulders," said Daley.

"He is just a real good kid, he would be worried but in a good way.

"He wouldn't let it get to his head and still has the self belief in his ability.

"It is hard for a young guy. I remember my first Origin game we got smashed 36-6 and I thought `gee I don't belong here' but eventually you get over it.

"My second game was better and third game better again.

"If people around him are playing well then he plays well as well."

Mullen's injury opens the door for Manly halfback Matt Orford and Cronulla's Brett Kimmorley to sneak into the NSW side.

Kimmorley was overlooked in favour of Mullen for the opening Origin clash, but it is believed Orford has shot to contention with his match-winning field goal against Melbourne on Saturday night showing selectors he can perform in clutch situations.

Orford gets a final chance to press for selection against Craig Gower-led Penrith on Friday while Kimmorley has the ideal scenario facing Maroons' half Johnathan Thurston and North Queensland in front of NSW coach Graham Murray on Saturday night.

I thought Orford did enough against the Storm to challenge for a spot. I felt the only way Mullen would keep his spot is because selectors wouldn't want to damage his confidence.

Orford picked up a Dally M point last week but the general census here was he played an ordinary game.

Lets hope he can deliver another performance like the one against the Storm and maybe a few guys can open their eyes this time ;)

I hope Orford gets the gig and Daley gets the sack. I can't believe Saints are thinking about sacking Brown, sack Daley! He's an idiot.

His main comp will be Kimorley. Murry likes him a bit but of all the blokes left, Orford has performed the best most recently.

And mullen just crumbled against the Knights.

Orford picked up a Dally M point last week but the general census here was he played an ordinary game.

I dont think many said he played ordinary, many just disagreed with your assesment of him being outstanding.

I hate to say it but i think I will tip the panthers this week, Orford's name being thrown around for Origin + coming of a win against the competition favourites has me thinking we wont get the 2 points.

We'll get the money garts.. Des will have them fired up... It's one more win and the guys can have a bit of a break.

Bastard, would rather there was no talk of a Mullen injury til saturday morning

Over to you Orford, remove that vice grip from around you throat and take the jersey

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4