Lyon and refs will be fine: Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY coach Geoff Toovey says captain Jamie Lyon won't have to change his on-field approach to referees despite recent NRL rule changes.

Lyon and Canterbury's Michael Ennis are seen as two of the game's leading debaters when it comes to discussing decisions with match officials.

But their learned approaches are set to be stymied by a new law that limits where and when captains can speak to referees.

Under new rules ushered in for the start of the 2014 season, captains will only be able to speak to referees during a stoppage in play, with players set to be waved away by the men in the middle at other times.

Toovey admitted to some displeasure at the rule changes, which also includes measures aimed at preventing time wasting and outlawing the cannonball and crusher tackles, but believes Lyon's approach won't be altered.

``I think Jamie will be fine,'' Toovey said.

``He is probably the least of the referees' worries. There are a few other captains I can think of off the top of my head that I won't mention.

``It's part of the game, they are obviously trying to remove some of that out of it, but some of those decisions need to be challenged.

``Having them discussed at the appropriate time and place ... that is what they are trying to do with that rule.

The former Sea Eagles premiership player had some memorable brushes with authority last season and Toovey said he is hopeful he can fly under the radar in that respect in 2014.

``We are all trying hard to ensure we do the right thing by the game but it is frustrating at times,'' Toovey said.

``Hopefully some of those frustrations will be alleviated this year, but we will have to wait and see.

``A lot of those rules could be hard to implement but apparently it has been done and dusted so there is not much we can do about it.

``There is a long way to go with the implementation of the new rules but that discussion if for another day

``The referees do a pretty good job.''

Toovey said a decision on the future of prop Richie Fa'aoso, who is facing retirement due to a neck injury will be made soon.

``We are still waiting for advice on that and weighing up the options,'' he said.

``At the end of the day we have to do what is right for him.''

James MacSmith
AAP

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-skipper-jamie-lyon-and-referees-will-be-fine-says-sea-eagles-coach-geoff-toovey/story-fni3gnk1-1226815000032

MANLY coach Geoff Toovey says captain Jamie Lyon won't have to change his on-field approach to referees despite recent NRL rule changes.

Read More

I am still mystified about this rule's practicalities.

Two Referees will be walking off at half time, which Team's Captain gets priority in talking to which Referee :huh:

The Players are exhausted after 40 minutes, will they remember what incident/ruling that they need clarification on :huh:

Bring back the single Referee, to at least have consistency during the whole 80 minutes :idea:

Bring in a 'captain's challenge' that is what we need.

Change the attitude of the NRL that they think they more about the game than anyone else.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6